UnderGround Forums

UG Errors and Suggestions >> Formatting test (and probable questions)

11/3/11 11:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Zaph
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks to Suess, I got my blue name.

I can see that I can format text by using html codes and do such things as <b>bold</b> and <i>italics</i>.  However, I understand that there are other ways.

After logging out and back in, I now see the built-in html editor.  That's a definite plus, but some of the functions don't seem to work.  For example, if I click on the button to insert an image or a link, it works like a charm (presumably - it opens an interface anyway).   However when I click on the B or the I to make bold or italics, nothing happens.  The button doesn't change colours and nothing happens in the little window in which I'm supposed to write the text.

Suess told me yesterday that I could use ctrl-B and ctrl-I as shortcuts, but that doesn't seem to do anything for me either.  

Similarly, the bullet list doesn't seem to work (though the numbered one does) and the "justify (left/centre/right)" buttons don't seem to do anything either.  "Cut" and "copy" don't even appear as a button, even if I highlight text, and the spell check option is also grayed-out.  

I'm at work now, which means I'm using Chrome as a browser (from home, I'll be able to test this on Firefox).

Any words of wisdom?

11/3/11 11:33 AM
Zaph
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hmm, apparently, now that I have the built-in editor working, using manual html tags for bolds and italics doesn't work either.  Halp?
11/3/11 11:45 AM
Zaph

All right, so now I'm  trying it with Firefox and it seems to work just fine.  It might not work so well at home because my home Firefox is loaded with add-ons, but I just installed FF at work and have no add ons running on it.
  • Come to think of it, maybe some of my add-ons for Chrome are causing the issue.
  • It's possible, I suppose.
Then again, I cannot know unless I test it,
For what it's worth, the spell-check button is still grayed-out.

Any idea what might be causing that?
It's not a big deal, since I don't really use spell-check, but it can be useful in catching typos. 
11/3/11 11:47 AM
Zaph

I went back to Chrome and disabled some add-ons, but it doesn't seem to help.
11/3/11 11:50 AM
Zaph

Oh well, I guess I'll have to use Firefox at work as well.   It does everything except spell-check, so it's a definite improvement.
11/3/11 11:52 AM
Zaph

All right, for shits and giggles I decided to try Explorer.

Here, the spell-check seems to work just fine.

Ugh, I hate Explorer.  I'd rather go without the spell check.
11/3/11 1:27 PM
Zaph

Anyway, is it normal that the html editor isn't fully functional for Chrome and Firefox?  I mean, does anyone even use IE anymore?
11/3/11 2:59 PM
Zaph

TTT for this newbie bluenamer.
11/3/11 3:26 PM
Zaph

11/3/11 3:27 PM
Zaph

Apparently I need assistance with posting videos too.

Maybe I should look for some sort of FAQ.
11/3/11 3:30 PM
Zaph

Edited: 11/03/11 3:31 PM

11/3/11 6:07 PM
Zaph

All right, now I'm trying this from home.  I can report the same issue with Chrome.

11/3/11 6:11 PM
Zaph

Once again, formatting seems to work well with Firefox, but just like at work, spell-check doesn't work. 

Oh well.  I'm not switching to Explorer anyway.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.