UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Johnny Depp almost dies . . in a bada-- way

11/4/11 7:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.ivillage.com/johnny-depp-almost-died-plane-crash/1-a-399215

Johnny Depp is a man who laughs in the face of death. While filming his new movie The Rum Diary, the 48-year-old actor took a private plane ride with director Bruce Robinson that nearly ended very, very badly (as in, with a crash). And Depp -- who, after all, has made a career of being unpredictable -- says the experience was actually quite funny in the moment.
"The sound of the engines stopped," Depp recalls in LIVE magazine (via Hollyscoop). "There was silence. Bruce and I were looking at each other and I think I said, 'Is this it?' It was like this weird extended moment when you're just floating for a second and you could feel this unpleasant descent."
"Nobody said a word except for Bruce and I, sitting next to each other saying, 'Oh sh-t! This is death; I guess this is how it goes down,'" says Depp. "Then we burst into hysterical laughter at the idea that this was how we were going to die."
Maybe you had to be there? Thankfully, the engines started back up and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. Depp now describes the near-fatal ride as "a big bonding experience" for himself and his director -- probably because "for a moment there, we were going down together."
Perhaps Johnny was able to find joy in the terror because he was channeling his Rum Diary character, based on journalist Hunter S. Thompson. Also the subject of Depp's film Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Thompson was known for his dangerous and eccentric behavior. In fact, the first time Depp met Thompson (who committed suicide in 2005), the journalist approached the Oscar winner with a cattle prod in one hand and a taser in the other. Later that night, they admired his shotgun collection and built homemade bombs in his sink.
"I think that was my kind of rite of passage with Hunter," Depp has said. "I think that was my test that I was OK."
It's nice that Johnny Depp has such memorable bonding experiences with his friends -- but maybe it would be safer if he just took them out for coffee? We'd like to see the guy live to make Pirates of the Carribbean 25!
11/4/11 7:52 PM
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would like to die laughing or ejaculating, or both.
11/4/11 8:05 PM
FCTV808
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i've crash landed a small plane three times--once for that same reason.

i wasn't laughing but pissed.

i don't fly anymore.
11/4/11 8:18 PM
MOB U2

^Jesus! No mental trauma after the first and second one that you still had the cojones to fly until the last crash? Damn.

You should be a motivational speaker man, except tell your audience they are pure cunts and losers.

Saying you almost died 3 times - come the fack on - nobody can say shit after that.

I just thought Depp was cool to laugh. Now you've taken this to a whole new level man.

11/4/11 8:22 PM
FCTV808
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MOB U2 - ^Jesus! No mental trauma after the first and second one that you still had the cojones to fly until the last crash? Damn.

You should be a motivational speaker man, except tell your audience they are pure cunts and losers.

Saying you almost died 3 times - come the fack on - nobody can say shit after that.

I just thought Depp was cool to laugh. Now you've taken this to a whole new level man.

you know that scene in "the mummy" when brendan fraser is running from the gigantic sand cloud in a biplane?

well, i ran in a c152 from a similar dust cloud (like the kind on the news that covered arizona a few months ago). i saw it coming like a huge wall from oklahoma and i tried to beat it to the ground at some private fbo.

i lost.
11/4/11 8:25 PM
FCTV808

the second time, i was between wichita falls and some fucking place in louisiana and my radio fell out onto my fucking lap and my electrical went dead.

to compound the misery, i had just put a big fucking chew of redman in my mouth and had forgotten to bring a spittune so while i was fumbling and freaking, i had to try and pop my side window open to spit.

well, at 110knots, that is a bad idea.

the interior of the plane changed colors. (and smells)
11/4/11 8:26 PM
FCTV808

and crash 3.

well lets just say, wake turbulence--it ain't no joke. that one really rattled the fuck out of me. literally.
11/4/11 8:36 PM
FCTV808

trust me, i consider the last one--strike three.

that said, i was thinking about buying an ultra light at some point and mounting my 338 to it so i can go out into the ocean and shoot sea creatures from 300ft in the air.
11/4/11 8:47 PM
MOB U2

Thanks for the stories.
It sounds like you would've been a great surfer FCTV.
Sometimes in my sick thinking, I wish crazy things like this had happened to me. That way I can tell kids to STFU.

Almost dying 3x is anyway to tell any kid what they are whining about is pure pussy-like bullshit.
11/4/11 8:50 PM
FCTV808

i wanted to be a great surfer. instead, i wound up as a really stupid surfer that attempted to do great but stupid things.

my mom despised my entertaining the dream of wanting to do that as a "living" when growing up in kauai.

:(
11/4/11 9:09 PM
MOB U2

That's too bad.

I'd wish that students I deal with would even dream to do ANYTHING at all nowadays.

They are half lobotomized out of the wound.

Which means most should be put to death like that cow in Old Yeller.
11/4/11 10:43 PM
FCTV808

if you can identify the zombie threat early, then yes, they should be put down.
11/4/11 11:01 PM
MOB U2

Maybe I can be zombie leader and kill Jim Jones way.

DRINK THE KOOL-AID. DRINK! DRINK!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.