UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> First time you had to accept getting older

11/4/11 10:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes when?

B/c of the slow Asian aging process and my constant presence around young college chicks, I have refused to accept the concept of age. I wake up half dead everyday in constant pain and take longer to recover but I still deny it.

Until last night.

Sparring with a dude. He was lunge jabbing (tall, bigger, beginner). I was effectively keeping him at bay with a sidekick. He did a leaping lunge at which I did an inside slip, bob and weave. Somewhere underneath I decided to be clever and smack two body shots to his ribs.

Well he fell on me. Good body shots + no good opponent balance =left jab still hanging on my neck and shoulder and him falling on me with all his weight. B/c I'm much smaller I went down a bit but kept him up a lil enough to abscond to side and get away.

Rest of practice I had a shearing pain in my lower back, sacrum, and legs. I am 2/3rd's standing now and hobbling the same way my 94 year old grandma is.

I guess I have to admit it today:(
11/4/11 11:40 PM
FCTV808
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/04/11 11:40 PM
been admitting it since my pect tear end of 2008.

but now my face has some visible signs of aging as well.

and i decided to let my hair grow back over the last 2.5 weeks--haven't let that happen for about 3 years...

oh man there's some white hair. i like to think of it like i'm the dos equis guy--but alas, i am not. :(
11/4/11 11:51 PM
TheAlchemist
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What's old? BJ thinks he's old. I think not at all. He still has time to revamp himself and make another run in the UFC. But alas, all that matters is what he thinks.
11/5/11 12:01 AM
MOB U2
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree Alch. I'm BJ's age as well . . um well maybe a few months older.

Just saying I have to accept that I'm getting 'older', not necessarily old.

Which means before practice I should add an additional 20-30min of warming up, and I guess a must-workout steady schedule. B/c an accident like yesterday shouldn't have put me out so severely. I attribute such a freak accident to not having warmed up enough and not working my body out enough.
11/5/11 12:04 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Said it jokingly for the last 10 years. Accepted it early 2008 when it got so bad I couldn't sit cross-legged due to hip seizure or I'd lockup and collapse mid-throw facefirst into the mat.

Nowadays is mostly minimized through postworkout stretches and only occasionally flairs up bad enough to lock up.....but it's always there....lurking.....waiting.....biding it's time....for that moment of weakness.....TO STRIKE! ARRRRRGH! probably arthritis the ortho said, but my knees and shoulder that have been torn up and repaired have ZERO signs of arthritis...WTF?

Oh and reading glasses the last 3 years :( *squints

BTW, does grey pubes count?
11/5/11 12:27 AM
MOB U2

^Grey pubes means you working it LIKE A BOSS!

I am with you on the hip problems. I don't know if I was born with it or if it was from some childhood injury but all I know it affects my jiu jitsu and kicking. Can't hold guard for a long time without some shearing pain in my hip. Its affected me since I was a teenager doing martial arts and I've always had to try to grin and bear it.

If you guys have any suggestions OR know therapists who can help retrain hip coordination and/or undo possible hip trauma I am all ears.
11/5/11 12:41 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yep, my left hip too. Sometimes if my partner just pushes my inside knee, my leg just gives out and goes to the mat. MY GAWD MY GUWARD!

Funny though, most times I can still Thai RH because I open the hip and pivot.

I used to be a hellova shooter from the paddy-squat....fast and accurate, now I rarely feel comfortable doing it.
11/5/11 1:23 AM
junon
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol @ grey pubes.

yeah i think thats a good sign.
11/5/11 1:40 AM
FCTV808
252 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello, open gward anyone?

They push on your knee? U fucking triangle them and fart.

W t f
11/5/11 2:35 AM
TheAlchemist
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MOB U2 - I agree Alch. I'm BJ's age as well . . um well maybe a few months older.

Just saying I have to accept that I'm getting 'older', not necessarily old.

Which means before practice I should add an additional 20-30min of warming up, and I guess a must-workout steady schedule. B/c an accident like yesterday shouldn't have put me out so severely. I attribute such a freak accident to not having warmed up enough and not working my body out enough.

I hear you man. I've accepted that I'm getting older. Warmups and warmdows are a must , stretching might just save me months of agony, and diet is not something for someone else anymore. 

I guess I have a knee-jerk reaction to this topic as I have to deal with adults that have basically succumbed to their own mental prisons they have designed and continue to implement daily. BLEH
11/5/11 5:12 AM
Sgt. Slaphead

FCTV808 - Hello, open gward anyone?

They push on your knee? U fucking triangle them and fart.

W t f

Fart yes, open gawd.....WTF, I need to rest my leg on something fren!

Bah, I not in you guys league, but I only need enough zhoozhitsu to get to my rifle....

"Bushido is all very well in its way, but it is no match for a 30-06."

-Col, Cooper
11/5/11 7:19 AM
Moke
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Pffft you guys are just going through a phase that weeds out the weak. Don't be the weak. I've actually had some of my chronic long term injuries and pains (some decades old) IMPROVING lately! Yay!

Like Alch says, be patient and stretch without exception.
11/5/11 8:25 AM
MOB U2

Yes, I am also on that side as well. I never understood people who kept on saying they are OLD. B/c I never got into that young heavy drinking scene, waking up with a hangover and going half-dead to work phase, I never felt OLD.

However, I have still taken advantage of my youth. Not warming up properly, eating bad occasionally, and not sleeping much. So it's not that I say I'm OLD at 32; it's just that I have to admit I'm getting OLDER.

Recently I've just started to get back into the old TMA stuff, and working on timing, combos, and tricks. Nothing really extremely special but just stuff I understand is essential b/c I just don't SEE it anymore. I'll get jabbed in the face more than I want to b/c my reaction and response is slower. So I have to think harder about timing and distance and being CUNNING.

Anyway cunning without good warmup and steady preparation is what will probably put me out for a week and keep me from getting my balls emptied. So I resent this getting older stuff a lot. But I understand now - I never RESPECTED this process of getting older, so I had to learn the hard way.
11/5/11 2:27 PM
FCTV808

if i were 32 i'd be fighting. jeebus
11/5/11 2:36 PM
Moke
99 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mob, at 32 you should be in your freaking prime.
11/5/11 4:53 PM
Sgt. Slaphead

Moke - Pffft you guys are just going through a phase that weeds out the weak.

FA-Q!

Grey pubes is not a "phase"!
11/5/11 5:01 PM
TheAlchemist

For Sarge:

11/5/11 5:03 PM
Sgt. Slaphead

YEOWCH!
11/6/11 4:52 AM
JIMMYNAKS
253 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When Chris Hanson came out from the back room and asked me to have a seat.

I thought "Man! I'm too old for this shit!" Phone Post
11/6/11 5:26 AM
Sgt. Slaphead

FUCK!

I almost pissed myself reading that with a full bladder!
11/6/11 6:41 AM
MOB U2

Moke - Mob, at 32 you should be in your freaking prime.

I agree.

All I'm saying is I was forced to respect the process of 'priming'.

Like putting in the work to do proper warmup, stretches, and maintaining the body.

I have NEVER believed in getting older as the coup de grace for a man. But I have to accept the conditions of getting older. Age forces you to be smarter.

I am kinda enjoying the getting wiser bit. Some of these fast young guns do really dumb things. Not that I'm any good but I've gotten some good shots here and there, merely b/c young guys will go balls out and really try to go for it.

"Older" guys just gotta dodge a few and hit em in between the beats.
11/6/11 5:55 PM
Sgt. Slaphead

I was in my 20s and could abuse my body to no end.

I was 30, in uniform with E6 stripes and asked for ID @ the NCO club.....people at the bar stopped and looked.

I was in my early 30s in college and everybody couldn't believe I wasn't a 20-something.

By 35 a noticeable slow, slide in abilities and hair thinning.

By 39 close vision slipping and a few grey hairs on face and head. Pain here and there becoming less ignorable.

At 43...

much more noticeable grey especially on face if I don't shave and WTF.... GREY PUBES!

Pes Planus and Plantar Facitis pain daily and are serious BITCH and probably what is contributing to my knee and hip bugging me. When I hunt I feel good once I start roaming around and warmed up, but next day it take 30mins to be able to walk normally down flight of stairs. This happens regularly to a lesser degree at home depending upon physical activity levels.....LOL! I was told I probably could claim VA as my arches were diagnosed post basic training. FUKIN EMBARRASSING!

I have to come off the gun to make rear sight adjustments cause I can't read the numbers if my face stays on the butt of the gun.

I sometimes lose in conversations due to background noise and gotta guess what was said.....worse when I listen to HF/VHF/UHF radio I gotta pay close attention.

and more....

All that said, I can move fairly well when I need to and still mostly functional. Once my shoulder heals it should be better than it's ever been in 10years. I'm fairly strong and surprisingly nimble and fairly coordinated compared to many people I see. I can run and shoot far enough to make life interesting and go whatever distance needed at my own pace over any any terrain I'm likely to encounter hunting from leeward gulches to 7000' elevation. My far vision is still excellent and my cack still works. And like KC stated above, "experience & craftiness > youth & overzealousness" IMMA CUNNING MUTHAFUKA!

DON'T EVER STOP AND GIVE UP, JUST "IMPROVISE, ADAPT AND OVERCOME"......A LOTTA THOSE OLD PEOPLE I SEEN IN PHYSICAL THERAPY ARE FUKED BECAUSE THEY QUIT!
11/6/11 10:36 PM
fnunderful
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This year has been my year of injuries that never happened before...broken toe, jammed fingers, tendonitis (both elbows), pulled groin (still nagging), smashed elbow, runners knee, and a jaw that keeps popping out of the socket. At 35 I feel like it is too soon to say I'm old but it is certainly taking longer for these things to heal.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.