UnderGround Forums

Anaconda No-Gi UnderGround >> 10th Planet Wins at No-Gi Mundials

11/6/11 4:27 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tap21
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/11 3:23 PM

Congratulations to 10th Planet at the 2011 No-Gi Mundials! It looks like they took about 22 medals home (including 6 in black and brown masters and seniors divisions).

I copied this pretty hastily, so please correct any mistakes.

BLUE BELT JUVENILE 2
LIGHT FEATHER
SECOND Anthony Lopez 10th Planet

BLUE BELT ADULT
MIDDLE
THIRD Billy Josepah Denny 10th Planet
MEDIUM HEAVY
SECOND Michael Hillebrand 10th Planet
OPEN CLASS
THIRD Michael Hillebrand 10th Planet

BLUE FEMALE
LIGHT FEATHER
THIRD Analilya Calzada 10th Planet
MEDIUM HEAVY
THIRD Andrea M Valencia 10th Planet

BLUE BELT SENIOR 1
FEATHER
SECOND Robert Arthur Gero Jr. 10th Planet
THIRD John Farr 10th Planet

MEDIUM HEAVY
FIRST Chad Kyser 10th Planet
HEAVY
THIRD Vladimir Andreyevcich Novikov 10th Planet
THIRD Ryan Charles Dexter 10th Planet

BLUE BELT SENIOR 2
MEDIUM HEAVY
SECOND David Fong 10th Planet
THIRD Rob Bradley 10th Planet

PURPLE BELT ADULT
SUPER HEAVY
THIRD Adam Sachnoff 10th Planet

PURPLE BELT SENIOR 1
LIGHT FEATHER
THIRD Jean Pierre Phancao 10th Planet
LIGHT
FIRST Victor Davila 10th Planet

BROWN BELT MASTER
FEATHER
THIRD John Botello 10th Planet

BROWN BELT SENIOR 1
MIDDLE
THIRD Scott Ross 10th Planet

BROWN BELT SENIOR 3
SUPER HEAVY
FIRST Ralf Warneking 10th Planet
OPEN CLASS
FIRST Ralf Warneking 10th Planet

BLACK BELT SENIOR 1
MEDIUM HEAVY
THIRD Craig Beauchamp 10th Planet
OPEN CLASS
FIRST Craig Beauchamp 10th Planet
11/6/11 11:33 AM
SleepBomb
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

too bad denny didn't amke it out of the first round. He should probably train in the gi to ppick up his nogi game. Seems to work for all the other BB winners.
11/6/11 12:56 PM
Tap21
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Denny is a previous Brown Belt Gold Medal World Champion and a Black Belt Bronze Medalist. I'm sure he's okay with his track record.

It looks like 10th Planet took medals at every belt level from blue to black this year if you count masters and seniors.

Also, counting Denny's previous medals at Brown and Black in the adult category, it looks like 10th Planet has now taken medals in the adult (non-masters or seniors) category at every belt at the no-gi mundials. Not too bad for a 100% no-gi school.
11/6/11 6:35 PM
CompanyBlue

Edited: 11/06/11 6:40 PM
Are the brackets usually this small for the no gi mundials? Some divisions competitors were guaranteed medals regardless if they won or lost any matches.

I counted 18 gold medals handed out to people who didn't even compete. A whole lot of 2 and 3 man brackets that guaranteed medals to anybody who signed up.
11/6/11 8:39 PM
liquidrob
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/06/11 8:39 PM
I was reading on another forum that for the amount of guys 10th planet had they did not do well, a lot placed without even winning, even on the 10th planet forum they said they didnt do well at the event
11/6/11 9:11 PM
CompanyBlue

liquidrob - I was reading on another forum that for the amount of guys 10th planet had they did not do well, a lot placed without even winning, even on the 10th planet forum they said they didnt do well at the event

That seems to be the outlook from what I have read. But if you know what kind of poster Tap21 is, you were probably expecting this thread. Safe to say that the medal count for any of the teams that participated would be misleading. It's not just 10th planet who got medals without competing or doing well. It would be nice if the IBJJF invested time to make win/loss and submission numbers for each team.
11/6/11 10:06 PM
Tap21

^^^I'm a no-gi guy and I am congratulating another no-gi team on taking home 22 medals from a no-gi tournament. No real mystery there.
11/6/11 11:54 PM
CompanyBlue

Edited: 11/06/11 11:55 PM
Congratulating them for not performing well as a team? Why would you do that now to brag about the medal count when they were practically handed out in many divisions at every belt level. Did you know that the brackets were so small when you posted and dozens of competitors got medals just for signing up? It would be one thing to congratulate a specific person for performing well, but you are probably still trying to find something who fits the bill.
11/7/11 12:08 AM
Tap21

Have you seen the full list of medalists? If you have then you know that 10th planets medals were no less hard won than any other teams. The full results show a lot of the 10th Planet medalists in positions they couldn't have gotten to without winning matches.
11/7/11 12:35 AM
CompanyBlue

LOL. Yes I know that every team benefited with medal counts by having few, sometimes zero matches and also guaranteed medals even without a win. That goes for every team. Your last sentence is hilarious though. I think we all know that 10th planet did indeed win some matches on the way to some medals.

The real shame is how many WORLD CHAMPIONS are being crowned on bullshit circumstances.
11/7/11 12:44 AM
Tap21

This has gone on for years. I know of guys who got repeated belt advancements and now teach based on repeatedly going to ibjjf events and taking "the silver medal". Then when you check the results you see it was a two man bracket in the senior 3 division.
11/7/11 12:51 AM
Tap21

I was glad to see that 10th planet isn't claiming any such paper champions.
11/7/11 1:01 AM
CompanyBlue

Tap21 - This has gone on for years. I know of guys who got repeated belt advancements and now teach based on repeatedly going to ibjjf events and taking "the silver medal". Then when you check the results you see it was a two man bracket in the senior 3 division.

Yes like many of the medals you were bragging about earlier. That was my point. Nice that they aren't claiming paper champions. Too bad some of their fans aren't the same way, isn't that right?
11/7/11 1:10 AM
Tap21

I just listed all of their medals. The same way the ibjjf lists all the medals won in the team standings. Besides, in some cases it' s impossible to tell if the medal was hard-fought or based on no wins.
11/7/11 1:41 AM
Tap21

My count could be off, but I just glanced quickly down the list and only saw one guy who appeared for sure to have not won any matches. I saw 3 guys who took 3rd in a three man bracket. Of those three, I read that botello won a match but got injured so had to forefeit his next match (thus ending up in third) and beauchamp went on to take the gold in the fully contested absolute for his age group. So that only leaves one of those three who might not have won a match. Warneking was alone at his weight but also won a fully contested absolute.

Of the ones who took third in a bracket that shows a full complement of four medalists, it is obviously impossible to tell how many people there were without more info. Although in some cases, I have read reports of matches showing that they had to win to get to bronze.
11/7/11 5:55 AM
suBJJective warMTh
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not sure if serious. Phone Post
11/7/11 10:24 PM
TalkShowOnMute
84 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best troll since WrestleNow?
11/7/11 10:51 PM
Tap21

Not trolling.
11/9/11 4:30 AM
Tap21

^^I wasn't there, I am just reporting what one of his students said on another forum (sherdog):

"...while John placed 3rd in Brown Belt Masters division (he popped his knee and pulled out of his second match)..."
11/9/11 4:32 AM
Tap21

Here's some footage of 10th Planet at the 2011 No-gi Mundials.
11/11/11 10:20 AM
Tap21

Edited: 11/11/11 10:32 AM
I could be wrong, but here's how I interpreted what his student was saying: 1) He won his first match but was injured in doing so; 2) he forfeited his next match due to this injury; 3) because he forefeited and couldn't contest his second match, the guy he beat in his first match took his place in his next match(automatically pushing him into third place).

But again, I wasn't there and am just reporting what I read. I also could be misinterpreting what his student posted. So, take from the quote I posted what you will.
11/14/11 2:23 AM
Tap21

He's not my friend. I don't know any of these guys, and I wasn't there. But, you could be right. I was just reporting the post I quoted above.
11/14/11 2:35 AM
Tap21

Apparently, this video shows a 10th Planet Blue Belt getting DQ'd for using the electric chair. It only shows the DQ and not the actual technique being applied.
11/14/11 8:47 PM
Tap21

Apparently, a lot of people were mystified by the electric chair DQ.

I have seen a lot of people referencing this article from Graciemag with the following quote in regard to a groin stretching move:

"I've heard of the move and, unfortunately, there's nothing in the rules preventing its use," says Alvaro Mansur, head referee for the IBJJF.

(http://www.graciemag.com/en/2009/12/how-about-a-banana-split/)
11/15/11 8:21 AM
PointyShinyBurn
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/15/11 8:24 AM
You do it by leaning back, just like an armbar, not by pulling with your arms. Do you think kneebars only work on blue belts as well?

It's your dead-lift against his hip adductors. Quadricpes extend the knee, they've got literally nothing to do with it.

P.S. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumM2vaAddw

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.