UnderGround Forums

OtherGround Forums >> SKYRIM

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

2/23/13 3:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
3rdLion
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For some reason I just don't bother with smithing or alchemy, is it important?

I'm quite a few hours into it now.
2/23/13 3:57 PM
bradu
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ingo Weigold - 
bradu -
Ingo Weigold -  Ok picking this up for Xbox today. Any advice. Should I play the regular game first then get the expansions? Or get everything now? Phone Post

Have you played Morrowind or Oblivion? If so you should basically know what to expect. If not, my advice is this:

Just jump in with your first character. Creative whatever you think looks/sounds cool. At least tinker with alchemy, smithing, and enchanting to see which you like and might want to focus on. In fact, with your first character you should probably try a little bit of EVERYTHING for that very reason...try out weapons, try out bows, try out magic. Try a staff when you find one. The reality is, you ARE GOING TO WANT TO START OVER at some point no matter what, because you're going to discover things about the game and your character that you wish to build it that way from the start. But you won't really know what those things are until you play at least, oh, 10 or 20 levels with a character first.

The other advice I have is to explore. When you first put in the game, don't go online looking for cheats and hints, just fire it up and play. The beauty of the game is how wide open it is and how much you can explore, and you'll only fully appreciate that on your first playthrough without really knowing what to expect.

The only 'hint' I will give you in terms of what to actually do has to do with items, as there are so many in the game. You don't want to keep every linen wrap and bucket you find. You do want to keep every ingot, ore, hide, and ingredient (plant) you find. Use them for smithing and alchemy. Early on, I tend to grab everything I can find that has a  gold value to weight ratio of 10 to 1 or better, to sell.

Have fun! Report back. I wish I was playing for the first time again! I still fondly remember the first night I ever played Morrowind, going to bed and dreaming about lurking and watching that dude hide his ring in the swamp so I could come steal it. :)

Wow thank you for the great advice. I have not played any of the previous games. I tend to not start games over though, given the time constraints on my schedule I'm strictly a one play through guy even my favorite Mass Effect I never could bring myself to repeat.

I'm assuming its like other RPGs either melee archer or magic right? Phone Post

I wouldn't say it's like other RPGs, because it's just so wide open. Kinda like Mass Effect, but even moreso. You don't really need to choose a focus, you can do it all. You can literally run around with a weapon in one hand, a spell in the other, and a bow at the ready. Or you can dual wield weapons or spells. At some point it's good to specialize to some extent, but if you wanted you could create a very balanced jack of all-trades type.

I've played countless hours on the last 3 Elder Scrolls games, and never completed one. I just didn't try, I was more interested in wandering, choosing my own quests, etc rather than doing the main quest line.

One last tip, get a soultrap spell or weapon early on, because you'll want to trap souls in soul gems for enchanting.

2/23/13 4:23 PM
Aussie Gumby
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - For some reason I just don't bother with smithing or alchemy, is it important?

I like them cos it's very very easy to gain experience in them so if you want to jump a couple of levels just make hide helmets/bracers and iron daggers and a shit tonne of crappy potions until you get up to the point where your experienced enough to make good ones.
2/23/13 4:30 PM
bradu
345 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

plus then you sell your potions for pretty good gold. If you enchant your smithed items they sell well too

2/23/13 4:43 PM
JediJitsu
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu -

plus then you sell your potions for pretty good gold. If you enchant your smithed items they sell well too

Bradu, where can one get plentiful soul gems early on (level 10is)? Phone Post
2/23/13 4:51 PM
bradu

JediJitsu - 
bradu -

go to the College of Winterhold and loot the hall of attainment and...the other one. You can also buy them from vendors there as well as any vendor who sells spells and general items I think.

To get into the College I think you need Magicka of 130 or so, so you might make sure you have a potion to fortify magicka if you haven't put any points into magic.

2/23/13 4:55 PM
JediJitsu
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^thanks fren Phone Post
2/23/13 4:56 PM
invalid
371 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shootfighterbull -  I was at Gamestop yesterday(picked up game of thrones for 20) and saw that the USED is still 50 bucks! That's awesome! Phone Post

Yeah my GameStop has it for $55 used still lol

Target has it on sale for $40

I platinum'd the vanilla version on PS3, but sold it back to gamestop for another game. Now with DLC I've gotten the itch to fuck around with this game again.

Maybe I'll revisit Fallout 3 or something
2/23/13 7:08 PM
Zenoplata
183 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3rdLion - For some reason I just don't bother with smithing or alchemy, is it important?

Yeah. If you want the best weapons you have to create the best potions to improve smithing. 

You have to max out enchanting, and I think there may be enchanting potions, use this to create armor/gear that only improves smithing as much as possible. Then use your smithing armor and smithing potions to begin crafting Daedric weapons and Dragon armor. I am like level 30 or something and my guys got swords the deal over 300 damage each. I can literally run through dungeons with no concept of my own mortality and just waltz into ambushes and the middle of enemies. 

For a while I couldn't beat the Draugr overlords and figured they were hiding the best weapons in the game or something. False! Now I just beat them down like redheaded step children and mock them mercilessly. 

2/23/13 7:49 PM
Stache
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've only played Mass Effect 2.

Skyrim is way more open. There's no comparison, imo. ME2 has very defined pathways and a pretty limited range of motion. I found the gameplay very repetitive compared to Skyrim. You can wander pretty much anywhere in this game.
2/23/13 7:58 PM
xNate
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bradu -
JediJitsu - 
bradu -

go to the College of Winterhold and loot the hall of attainment and...the other one. You can also buy them from vendors there as well as any vendor who sells spells and general items I think.

To get into the College I think you need Magicka of 130 or so, so you might make sure you have a potion to fortify magicka if you haven't put any points into magic.

130 is only if she makes you cast flame atronarch. Most of the time its a minor spell. Err less than 100 magic Phone Post
2/23/13 10:43 PM
TANK BROS
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Dragonborn dlc gives me similar vibes to Point Lookout from Fallout 3, darker setting with a creepy uneasy feeling.

2/23/13 10:43 PM
Brandable
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/23/13 10:43 PM

whoever said to start an archer/sneak class, thank you. having a fucking blast sneaking up on people and putting an arrow through their skull. i love when it goes slow - mo as i know some bitch is about to be one shot.

2/24/13 12:35 AM
JediJitsu

UFC 157 is over. Back to flicking some arrows! Gonna get my Stormcloak uniform. Phone Post
2/24/13 12:52 AM
Eggbert
1206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brandable -

whoever said to start an archer/sneak class, thank you. having a fucking blast sneaking up on people and putting an arrow through their skull. i love when it goes slow - mo as i know some bitch is about to be one shot.

Wait until you get archery to 100 with crazy perks. It gets pretty rediculous. 1 shotting dragons is fun Phone Post
2/24/13 2:30 PM
shootfighterbull

That means a follower you had in the past is stuck in some cave somewhere. Phone Post
2/24/13 2:47 PM
DreamerMMA
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts, LLC, Moderator
shootfighterbull -  That means a follower you had in the past is stuck in some cave somewhere. Phone Post

This.

If you happened to tell a follower to wait behind in a cave then forgot to go get him he'll just stand there forever.

If it's outside somewhere you should be able to fast travel and he'll appear next to you.

2/24/13 3:10 PM
Eggbert
1206 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DreamerMMA -
shootfighterbull -  That means a follower you had in the past is stuck in some cave somewhere. Phone Post

This.

If you happened to tell a follower to wait behind in a cave then forgot to go get him he'll just stand there forever.

If it's outside somewhere you should be able to fast travel and he'll appear next to you.

Why are you using followers? I never used one and quests where you had to follow someone into a dungeon pissed me off. They would always get in my way it I was hard not to kill them from being so annoyed Phone Post
2/24/13 3:43 PM
shootfighterbull

Eggbert -
DreamerMMA -

This.

Why are you using followers? I never used one and quests where you had to follow someone into a dungeon pissed me off. They would always get in my way it I was hard not to kill them from being so annoyed Phone Post
Khajiit need to stick together. Kharjo and I were bretherin. Phone Post
2/24/13 3:50 PM
Eggbert

shootfighterbull -
Eggbert -
DreamerMMA -

This.

Khajiit need to stick together. Kharjo and I were bretherin. Phone Post
Kajit. Scum of skyrim Phone Post
2/24/13 4:09 PM
Ruthless Rye
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DreamerMMA - 

This.

No.

Followers do not wait forever. They will stay and wait for 3 game days. They will then go back to where you encountered them.

And they will not fast travel with you if you told them to wait.

The only time a "follower" will stay with you, and not be replaced, is if you have an essential follower with a quest you have not yet completed.
2/24/13 4:33 PM
shootfighterbull

Ruthless Rye -
DreamerMMA - 

This.

No.

Followers do not wait forever. They will stay and wait for 3 game days. They will then go back to where you encountered them.

The only time a "follower" will stay with you, and not be replaced, is if you have an essential follower with a quest you have not yet completed.
If a follower gets stuck in a cave, then they are stuck and you have to find them. Phone Post
2/24/13 4:41 PM
Ruthless Rye
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

shootfighterbull - 
Ruthless Rye -
DreamerMMA - 

This.

No.

If a follower gets stuck in a cave, then they are stuck and you have to find them. Phone Post

Sorry. I mistook "waiting" and "stuck".

When a follower gets "stuck", I will...

FUS RO DAH their ass!!!!!!!!!!!!
2/24/13 4:43 PM
Ruthless Rye

FUS RO DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsBNlqrTRAc
2/24/13 5:34 PM
PoundFoolish
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have it on pc and bought a controller but the thing just feels laggy when i try to look around and move. Not like xbox at all. I have a top of the line samsung computer as well so idk what the problem is. Maybe the control Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.