UnderGround Forums

Roy Harris >> Question about Savate

11/11/11 5:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sanman1111
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/11/11 5:46 PM

Hey Professor Harris, I am a big fan of your work and approach to jiu jitsu. You've always come across as a very intelligent and detail oriented person who makes decisions very carefully and thoughtfully. So my question is, why did you decide to study Savate as your striking art of choice? What does it offer over say Muay Thai or Boxing? I understand every art has its strengths and weaknesses, just curious about your thought process. Thanks!
11/17/11 3:22 PM
twinkletoesCT
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Modern Self-Defense Center, Head Instructor
 ttt
3/13/12 12:34 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sanman1111,

I chose Savate for several reasons:

1. It is a more deceptive art than Muay Thai. Don't get me wrong, Muay Thai is a phenomenal art. However, Savate has a very different history of development than Muay Thai.

2. Savate places more emphasis on distancing than other striking arts. While this sounds simple enough, there is so much more depth to this topic than many realize.

3. Savate places an emphasis on striking while moving backward. It has a portion of the art that is specifically dedicated to this one aspect of training.

4. The fakes in Savate are out of this world. They turn linear kicks into circular kicks and circular kicks into linear kicks. These kicks are not easy to perform, but when they are trained, it is easy to kick other people's legs. I once had a Muay Thai fighter from Poland argue with me on this point while I was teaching a seminar in Poland. He asked me to show him what I meant. So, I did. After being kicked to the ground each time, and having his "other" leg kicked numerous time, he became very quite. All he could say was, "I've never seen those kicks before.

5. Savate also has "other" French arts, such as Panache, Lutte Parisian and Le Canne et Baton.

These are just a few reasons why I chose Savate.

Roy Harris

3/14/12 5:37 PM
Siciliano
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I actually will choose both. hehe. :)
3/15/12 11:17 AM
sanman1111
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the info!
3/27/12 2:31 AM
Roy Harris
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You're very welcome!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.