UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Thoughts on Anglican church?

1/28/12 10:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/28/12 10:51 PM
Ridgeback - 
 Well it hardly rose to the level of hostility (which is now your own interpretation of my words).  Your post came off as sarcastic and I was responding to the perceived sarcasm.  Since you have clarified that this was in no way your intent, I apologize for misreading your post.  I should have asked for clarification.  

I can't tell you what you felt, so of course maybe you weren't feeling hostile. I was trying to figure out why you read so badly, and thought that the most likely reason. For one thing, I didn't say "this is all very interesting" in the post you objected to, but the one you take as clarifying. So your "certainly" about my tone as sarcastic looks like riding a very high horse, indeed. And it wasn't the first time that day, as you may recall. Anyway, I thank you for your apology which is both surprising and warmly accepted, and also realize that tone is very difficult to "get" sometimes just from posts to a forum, for all of us.
1/30/12 12:09 AM
Ridgeback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali,

Where I come from (the Midwest of the USA) any person saying "is that a fact?" means it sarcastically and to essentially say that a person is full of shit.  It isn't used that way everywhere obviously.  Where you come from it must denote a sincere surprise at information that one didn't know beforehand.  
1/30/12 9:47 PM
Ali
667 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok Ridge -- I said that I "realize that tone is very difficult to "get" sometimes just from posts to a forum, for all of us."

Maybe I should have italicized the last four words, I don't know. I don't know what's missing.
1/31/12 12:02 AM
Ridgeback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ali - Ok Ridge -- I said that I "realize that tone is very difficult to "get" sometimes just from posts to a forum, for all of us."

Maybe I should have italicized the last four words, I don't know. I don't know what's missing.

Nothing is missing.  I was just clarifying what I misinterpreted in your original post.  

1/31/12 12:16 AM
Ali

... which is a matter of tone, no?

OK, sorry, maybe I shouldn't ask. I think this deceased horse has been flagellated sufficiently, and I'm satisfied that all necessary clarity has been reached!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.