UnderGround Forums

DantheWolfMan UnderGround >> Everyone passes!! Everyone wins!!!

3/26/03 11:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Tony Blauer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 26-Mar-03
Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.

A comment was relayed to me recently by one of my staff about a conversation he had with another trainer. This other trainer, while a big advocate of the SPEAR & PDR research, didn?t know if he could working for me, he thought I was too severe with my staff... That got me thinking...not only had I heard that before, but its also been mentioned that I should 'lower the bar', that my standards are TOO high... A number of quotes come to mind, firstly, my friend Brandon Lee's classic:"For what level of mediocrity will you settle?"Next, Colin Powell's spin on that theme:"Mediocre people are always at their best" Lower the bar?? Those people who look at the 'bars' only see the line in relationship to where they Aren't! And that bothers them...instead of working harder, they want to make more less (less is more??). Those who look at 'standards' as an obstacle have confused the word with 'standard' (a spelling error that changes essence). 'Standard', while pursuing excellence, isn't meant to be generic or average :-) Further, 'Standards' cannot be altered...they simply 'are'. Whoever invented the Egalitarian Bell-curve was clearly unsupervised and under some sort of pressure. The 'Egalitarian Bell-curve' was created to help statistics and egos. Period. It doesn?t improve quality or conditions.While some may find that offensive... "The wonderful thing about bluntness is that gauges the strong and intimidates the week..." In the artistic sense of the word, Im an elitist. I believe that the 'best' should experience success and that the best should handle the most because they've earned it. And not for any other reason. Continued next page...
3/26/03 11:19 AM
Tony Blauer

Blauer Tactical Systems, Inc.
"Practice doesn't make perfect and perfect practice doesn't make perfect, practice make you better and better is where its at." My standards are far from 'standard' and they move constantly, as I learn more about what the mind and body are capable of. In fact, I am rarely (if ever) satisfied with my performance on any given day....thats not to be confused with being 'pleased with' or stimulated by a seminar, class, training session...there are many sessions where I have a 'peak' experience...but without exception I'll critique something (if not everything), no matter the response from the audience. IN other words, I always learn something and therefore my class always changes. As a professional educator, Im not teaching material from last year...prior to every class I review my notes, my lessons, at EVERY class I try drills slightly differently, trying to find the optimal approach. Every class is better than the one before, every class is the best class I can give because of how I view standards. "Character is who you are when no one is looking." Standards aren't some imaginary line that you race to...thats the end of the line! Standards are visions, evolutions, possibilities...standards represent the goals you set for yourself daily. We teach PERSONAL DEFENSE READINESS. Its not a sport and its not a contest. The philosophy of the system, the psychology I approach my training cadre with and the philosophy that spawned the shift from sport to street is driven by a pursuit of excellence, a quest for integrity & truth. As the rant winds down, the original question re emerges...am I too hard on my staff? The word 'too' is key, its the missing link, [the weak link] in the sentence; incidently, its likely the word that helped spawned 'Egalitarian Bell-cure'. Am I hard? Yes. Too hard? Depends who's training I suppose. For some, yes, Im too hard and they move on. But my standards aren't set for 'not bad' or 'pretty good' they are set, then raised daily for what I believe in, what I intuit and what I see as necessary to tell the truth. The standards are set for concerns of personal safety, then they are set with respect to what must be taught to the student. Standards aren't set for common denominators! For over two decades, the standards we set became the 'standard' in the community: We are imitated, we are copied...but more importantly we inspired and we motivated... and now we have the respect of our peers, we are sought out by the elite, by legitimate and conscientious instructors and by the up & coming new breed of trainers and self-defense aficionados. The good, the bad, the ugly, all exist because of standards, and truthfully, if we hadn't set those standards, none of this would be written. Learning to teach people how to confront violence shouldn't be touchy feely, since violence never is. Messing with standards so a quota can be met or because of some 'PC' influence or so someone can feel good about a student's progress is unconscionable for those involved in teaching real life street defense tactics. "He is best who is trained in the severest school" - Thucydides Stay safe, Tony
3/26/03 12:21 PM
amaa

Edited: 26-Mar-03 01:23 PM
Coach, You have created a self-defense system and tailored training recipes that far exceed what a 'standard' individual is capable of. You didn’t get to where you are (not definable) by being less than severe with yourself. If you are direct, blunt, severe, etc. with anyone who works/trains with you, they should consider it a great privilege. You can only give what you have (you could give less, but you care too much). The fact is good coaches are always intense… Bela Karolyi comes to mind and he has created many Olympic Gold Medallists. For anyone working under a master level coach they should consider the level of ‘trust’ that the coach gives them when they raise the bar or push them to transcend their limitations – the coach is taking a chance on you because your ego/pride can always come in and try to defend itself, feel hurt, judged, miss-understood, etc. Often, less than mature students challenge the catalyst or try to disqualify/defend/attack back. The coach takes that chance every time, that’s why I say the coach’s trust in you should be considered an honor. Coach, if your standards for your own development were lower than you have set them, then your students (those of us who 'acknowledge' we are learning from you/ and those who don't) would not be benefiting today from your system and your coaching integrity. Thank you for not settling for mediocrity!! Nick
3/26/03 12:28 PM
JMullings

Edited: 26-Mar-03 02:25 PM
The message Tony Blauer passed on in this thread could possibly be one of the most profound you will ever read as a martial artist, soldier, professional fighter, businessman, etc.... It is the essence of the PDR program. The truth and integrity. People will look elsewhere if they want less than that. There are scores of "certification whores" in the martial arts and combatives market. They copy Tony Blauer, and then point fingers at him and the program trying to justify why they cant deliver under its expected deliverables. And thankfully there are a few others, with aspirations and standards similar to Tony's who do their  best always to provide a safe haven for those seeking the truth. There is no place for "second place" in a street fight, a close encounter, etc.... As Lomabrdi said, "I've never known a man worth his salt who in the long run, deep down in his heart, didnt appreciate the grind, the discipline" My thanks continue to go out to you, your team at corporate and all of those PDR Coaches who take the time to teach the truth and pass on the research of your work. I am glad to be part of the first place team. Best Wishes Joe Mullings - PDR Coach
3/26/03 12:52 PM
Eric Cobb

This may be one of the most important threads that Tony's ever written. It's worth reading - and then reading again... And then perhaps... again. "He is best who is trained in the severest school" - Thucydides Eric
3/26/03 5:30 PM
DannyE

Tony's level of integrity, and passion, in teaching the truth about combat is astonishing, and unmatched. Those who have listened, are undoubtably safer. Thank You Danny
3/26/03 5:56 PM
Kirik
1684 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC
Famous thread!
3/26/03 9:45 PM
hal5150

Coach, We will all work to try to come up to your level. (Probably never get there, but I am working my craft to get there) Please don't lower things to meet us. You've given your blood, sweat, tears and your life to your craft, let us show you how high we can grow towards you. Hal
3/27/03 6:23 AM
AdamLaClair

Edited: 27-Mar-03
ImposeYourWill.com
I've always been an advocate of the philosphy that you will get out of something exactly what you put into it. Why should the PDR program be any other way than what it is? Is Tony hard on us? Absolutely. But so will the bad guy be - except there is one HUGE difference: Tony will be hard on us, then help us see where and why we failed, and show us the "more desirable" path. The bad guy will just maim or kill you and be done with you. Personally, I'd rather deal with the one that will help pick me back up after I fall, and lets me stay breathing. Adam
3/27/03 8:01 PM
Chuckk

Great Thread! Very Appropos. Peace, Chuck
3/27/03 9:54 PM
Kerri

You can play in Little League, or play with the "big guys". In Little League, everyone is welcome, everyone plays. With the "big guys", you have to work hard to even stay on the team, let alone play. I hope that the bar is not lowered to meet the masses, but raised to inspire the few. Kerri
3/28/03 6:43 AM
rbradk

Edited: 28-Mar-03
The pursuit of excellence and integrity is often less profitable than the pursuit of size and recognition. But excellence and integrity reap rewards that the other will never recognize nor purchase....... Brad
3/28/03 10:44 PM
slixtr
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 28-Mar-03
Hi Everyone, I have been wanting to post a reply to this thread for a couple of days now, but really wasn't sure what I was going to say. I now have 2 quotes to share. One about Honesty, showing the path Coach has taken and the path the imposters have taken. The other about Truth, the truth that Coach has always put ahead of anything else. Honesty : Before us lies two paths - honesty and dishonesty. The shortsighted embark on the dishonest path; the wise on the honest. For the wise know the truth: in helping others we help ourselves; and in hurting others we hurt ourselves. Character overshadows money, and trust rises above fame. Honesty is still the best policy. Truth : Truth is what is. Truth is neither bad, ugly nor beautiful. Truth is just what exists - it is reality. The successful are realists. They are not trapped by false appearances. They see the world as it is. Coach's integrity and no-bullshit attitude is what drew me to the PDR Team. I for one am glad that Coach doesn't settle for anything but his best. It brings out the best in all of us. Rich Beaupit
3/30/03 10:37 AM
JDDynamic

Edited: 30-Mar-03
As the saying goes, "If it was easy everyone would be doing it. It's the hard part about it that makes it worthwhile."
4/3/03 2:15 AM
taroson

Edited: 03-Apr-03
When forced to choose between the lesser of two evils... choose neither. The PDR System is based on truth. Behavioral reality, what really happens in the street, in your mind and in your heart. The bar can never be lowered or the truth is compromised and the system ceases to exist. The truth can set you free...it can also kick your butt. You either want it or you don't. Mike Suyematsu

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.