UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Stripping Guitar Finish to natural...what do?

11/16/11 11:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El_Varaco
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm planning to take out all the paint on my old strat copy and possibly give it new life and leaving it natural.

Would you guys know any guides on how to do this? this will be my first big guitar project and I don't want to fuck it up, and do it right
11/18/11 10:52 PM
whaledog
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some tips here: http://www.tdpri.com/forum/finely-finished/232301-how-difficult-strip-poly-finish.html
11/28/11 7:41 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If it is a solid color finish you might find a very unattractive guitar onder the finish.

What make of guitar is it and what finish is on it?
11/28/11 8:57 PM
El_Varaco
313 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's a korean strat copy (axtech) , I'm not sure what kind of finish is it.

I started using a heat gun on it as per the TDPRI link, blackened some parts out and some part of the finish seems to be stuck more solidly to the body
12/5/11 2:18 PM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/08/11 3:08 PM
 Be careful, some laminated bodies or veneer tops will seperate with too much heat. Do an area then let it cool before you move on to prevent overheating the whole body. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.