UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> What Did You Train that You Wish You Hadn't?

11/19/11 2:32 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What did you train that you wish you hadn't? Assuming that you actually could have done it, that is, the style was available and you had access to it. In other words, I didn't regret that I didn't train BJJ in 1973 because BJJ wasn't available where I was and I had never heard of it.

In my case, I wish I had gone to a boxing gym instead of a karate dojo.
11/19/11 7:25 PM
HEMAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wing Chun. It was garbage!
TKD. It was garbage!
11/19/11 7:25 PM
HEMAN
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wing Chun. It was garbage!
TKD. It was garbage!
11/19/11 8:29 PM
Skpotamus
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aikido = 3 months of my life I won't get back.
Isshinryu Karate = started off great, hard contact, mean in fighting, then the instructor got injured (blew out his knee) and it turned into a total mcdojo.
11/20/11 1:36 PM
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Karate. Load of crap happy with the boxing, Thai and judo though . Phone Post
12/8/11 4:34 AM
pcuzz
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Silat. Pretty much a waste of 6 months.
12/17/11 9:33 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Psychiatry.

12/26/11 2:26 PM
Jeff_H
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

7 years of Kung Fu (two different styles). Wish I would have trained in BJJ, JKD, boxing, or wrestling for that 7 years.

But I still train all ranges in my garage with friends and have been taking weekly private lessons at a boxing gym for the past few months so I guess there's always room to make up for lost time.
12/26/11 4:57 PM
Paul Hopkins
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't even wrap my head around the concept of wasted time. It's nothing and everything all in one.

But if I had had the opportunity to learn 52 blocks, back in the day know what I'm sayin', and had taken advantage of such a training opportunity, I think that that is something I would probably regret at this point in my life.

And of course tens years from now when I used that shit in an altercation I'd be all like, "damn son, that shit was fo' wheel!"
12/27/11 1:19 AM
keseki
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not wasted time. Opportunity cost. Time that could have been better invested in something else.

On the other hand, some things are negative training, where you might dial in something that you later have to struggle to not do, like keeping your hands low to protect your hip, as Vunak once said. Keeping hands always up is not a natural, easy thing to do and takes a certain kind of practice to dial in.
1/2/12 11:51 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I honestly wish I hadn't been brainwashed by the media hype when I was a kid. The whole Bruce Lee thing took me on a winding detour.
1/6/12 1:49 PM
acid jazz
94 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wing Chun

TKD

1/6/12 7:41 PM
jcblass
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow Demi blasting Bruce Lee again....the guy can't help himself sometimes.
1/6/12 11:18 PM
John Frankl
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you may be projecting. Demi wasn't blasting anyone; he was honestly answering a question about his own past training.

In any case, he specifically referred to "the media hype" surrounding Bruce Lee, not the man himself.
1/7/12 6:33 PM
Demitrius Barbito

Edited: 01/07/12 6:34 PM
As John points out,  I really was talking about the media hype and not the man himself.

Thanks John.

I was a little boy with an abusive/violent father. Bruce Lee was able to beat up 50 guys at a time by himself. That was VERY attractive to me. Now, unlike other stars people actually made him out to be "the king of kung fu" and the nonsense I read in the magazine (and was later told by instructors) was that he could beat anyone and could hit "harder than any living heavy weight boxer".

I went for it hook, line and sinker... And so did the rest of the world.

My nut job of a father used to watch boxing constantly. I watched it with him. He constantly told me "boxing was the greatest combat art eva" (circa 1975). I always said it was "not as deadly as Bruce Lee" blah, blah... I wrote it off as a spectator sport and looked at JKD as something "suprahuman" (as I was told to think of it).

The problem is that even in peer reviewed journals of the time nobody questioned JKD. It was just Bruce Lee, King Of Kung Fu, Deadliest Man Alive, 1 inch punch etc...

I really do wish (in the spirit of this thread) that someone could have guided me in the spirit of truth. 

But hey it was the 1970's...

1/9/12 11:32 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If someone was really serious about studying Bruce Lee, they would of found out that Bruce Lee agreed with your dad.
1/12/12 8:20 AM
WidespreadPanic

Demi has one of the five 'diseases' that BL talked about. He can't help it but he will get over it.

The Six Diseases
1. The desire for victory;
2. The desire to resort to technical cunning;
3. The desire to display all that you have learned;
4. The desire to overawe the enemy;
5. The desire to play a passive role;
6. The desire to get rid of whatever disease you are likely to be infected with.

OK, six diseases. So, shoot me. (one disease he forgot). "The people that truly scare you are not dissuaded by pointed sticks and kicks"

So...seven diseases. :-D
1/12/12 1:15 PM
pcuzz
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Demitrius Barbito - As John points out,  I really was talking about the media hype and not the man himself.

Thanks John.

I was a little boy with an abusive/violent father. Bruce Lee was able to beat up 50 guys at a time by himself. That was VERY attractive to me. Now, unlike other stars people actually made him out to be "the king of kung fu" and the nonsense I read in the magazine (and was later told by instructors) was that he could beat anyone and could hit "harder than any living heavy weight boxer".

I went for it hook, line and sinker... And so did the rest of the world.

My nut job of a father used to watch boxing constantly. I watched it with him. He constantly told me "boxing was the greatest combat art eva" (circa 1975). I always said it was "not as deadly as Bruce Lee" blah, blah... I wrote it off as a spectator sport and looked at JKD as something "suprahuman" (as I was told to think of it).

The problem is that even in peer reviewed journals of the time nobody questioned JKD. It was just Bruce Lee, King Of Kung Fu, Deadliest Man Alive, 1 inch punch etc...

I really do wish (in the spirit of this thread) that someone could have guided me in the spirit of truth. 

But hey it was the 1970's...<br type="_moz" /> 

Even now people think BL was some sort of Demi-God and could take out anybody, be it Anderson Silva or Fedor at the top of his game. Saddens me really.
1/12/12 4:57 PM
nowaydo
74 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^^^^^^

No one thinks that anymore.

People either see him as actor or actor/martial artist.
1/12/12 6:32 PM
pcuzz

nowaydo - ^^^^^^^^

No one thinks that anymore.

People either see him as actor or actor/martial artist.

You have looked at youtube posts or some of the forums I have.
1/13/12 2:51 PM
yomamafool

praying mantis kung fu
4/2/12 12:56 PM
yomamafool

Edited: 04/02/12 12:56 PM
oops

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.