UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Judo in MMA?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/24/11 2:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ I saw him fight he had next to no mma training and still held his own with the top comp in pride days. If he was managed well he could have gone far.
Judo is only one useful tool in a big box! Phone Post
12/25/11 9:40 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Agree Spartan79, Nastula held his own for what little MMA training he had and against top notch pride opponents. And his judo did carry him for the time he spent in MMA.
12/26/11 10:06 AM
panic686
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - Those judo skills you see in MMA( Hawn,Rousey,Karo)have taken many years to devlope. Especially Hawn and Rousey who have faced "A" level judoka. To get to that skill level takes many years 10-15 and by then you are lucky if your body can still train/compete when your judo career is over. So I don't see many judoka doing MMA after the pounding their bodies have taken from judo. And now must train for MMA for how many years to get good? No one(that I know of or heard about) is doing judo for 3-4 years and competing on the "A" level. It doesn't happen that way in judo. Most off them have been doing judo/wrestling background for 10+ years. When the Pole Nastula tried MMA after his judo career was over he jumped into top MMA competition and got beat (up).

Maybe instead of worrying about seeing top level guys from judo, we need to be more excited to see guys with other backgrounds take judo and make it applicable for mma? The top level A+ judo players are doing judo to compete in judo. We will probably have better luck getting lower level guys to tranistion over into mma.
12/26/11 10:31 AM
Spartan79

John jones ?? Phone Post
12/26/11 10:13 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As has been pointed out, a big reason is wrestling is huge in the U.S. If you can't play the big money sports in the U.S., you may as well wrestle, since you can at least get a college scholarship. What does Judo get you, 10K and a box of medals? The biggest MMA prodction in based in the U.S., so wrestlers will be a big force as we have seen. You might wonder why more Japanese don't show their Judo in MMA. Some do, but I think the best have stayed in Judo during their prime (except Ishii) and their training methods for MMA seem to be inferior.
12/27/11 7:09 AM
judoblackbelt
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

panic686- Most judo sensei's are not going to train others for MMA, many don't like MMA period. And I just don't see those in MMA learning judo. TO throw/takedown at the MMA level of athlete takes many many years of judo/competitions. I remember the fight between Karo and Deigo Sanchez. Karo threw him at least 4 times landing on his neck/head and would of knocked out most guys and Diego came back and won with strikes. NO ippons in MMA.
12/27/11 10:38 AM
panic686
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - panic686- Most judo sensei's are not going to train others for MMA, many don't like MMA period. And I just don't see those in MMA learning judo. TO throw/takedown at the MMA level of athlete takes many many years of judo/competitions. I remember the fight between Karo and Deigo Sanchez. Karo threw him at least 4 times landing on his neck/head and would of knocked out most guys and Diego came back and won with strikes. NO ippons in MMA.

A lot of those throws seriously hurt though. Diego is just a seriously tough dude. He has taken a lot of beatings and kept coming. With some of his throws, if Karo hits them in mma, the fight is over.

I just wish we saw more of it in mma. I love judo so far and while I wrestled first, I never liked shooting because of my height. Judo seems to offer so much....
12/28/11 10:00 AM
mortician
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dave's judo translated over pretty well.
12/29/11 9:25 AM
judoblackbelt

I know Dave Garcia and Dave Gardner in those days and even sparred(standup) with Garcia at a BJJ club. Rolled a little with Garnder also.
12/29/11 4:07 PM
Spartan79

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkWtQ1yRNrY Phone Post
12/29/11 4:12 PM
Spartan79

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkWtQ1yRNrY Phone Post
12/29/11 4:34 PM
nowaydo
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - I know Dave Garcia and Dave Gardner in those days and even sparred(standup) with Garcia at a BJJ club. Rolled a little with Garnder also.

Those were great days. I worked with them both also. Gardner was the first person to ever take me down with a single leg at that time, after years of wrestling.
12/29/11 5:49 PM
mortician
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - I know Dave Garcia and Dave Gardner in those days and even sparred(standup) with Garcia at a BJJ club. Rolled a little with Garnder also.

Dave and Q are my mma/judo/nogi coaches.
12/30/11 10:42 PM
Seong gyeong
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

People are already posting multiple "My God this Hettes" threads all over the UG. I checked his profile on UFC.com and he is indeed a judo brown belt and he has won some state championships. I had never seen him fight before.

I like Phan, and I'm glad he was able to make it through without being finished, but Hettes is someone I'll be watching closely now.
12/31/11 2:17 AM
Big Dre
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think he fought Alex Caceres earlier this year.  Hettes and Dong Hyun Kim both had great fights.
12/31/11 9:22 PM
MickColins
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Big Dre -  I think he fought Alex Caceres earlier this year.  Hettes and Dong Hyun Kim both had great fights.
Yup, I saw him fight Cacares. Hettes takedown ability using his judo is terrific. I honestly don't know why more guys don't attempt some of the moves he does from the clinch. Phone Post
1/1/12 4:45 AM
nowaydo
121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cringed every time Manny G. shot in for doubles and singles. He's been doing judo all of his life and he shoots...doubles and singles?
1/1/12 9:03 AM
Spartan79

Hettes = good display of judo in mma
Manny= bad display of judo in mma
Good night of fights! Phone Post
1/1/12 9:09 AM
judoblackbelt

I cringe every time I hear Joe Rogan comment "that was a judo throw". They really are trying to intergrate MMA with Judo in some way.
1/1/12 1:16 PM
Missing Glove Tape

Got a chance to watch the Hettes-Phan fight and I thoroughly enjoyed it. An example of what it means to be a complete fighter(re: standup, clinch, ground) as well as just how much of a dominant/dynamic edge there is in being able to throw an opponent at will. Even Rogan was seemingly in awe both times Hettes hit the hip throws(which made my day! lol) and automatically landed in/transitioned to side control.
1/1/12 2:59 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nowaydo - I cringed every time Manny G. shot in for doubles and singles. He's been doing judo all of his life and he shoots...doubles and singles?

I have known Manny since he was little so I sent a facebook message ask why he did not use his Judo, when and if reply back i'll let you know. I don't understand why his people don't tell him to stop trying be a wrestler. Manny also needs to fight at 135 he just to small at 145. Manny is also very stubborn when was cometing at judo everyone kept telling hin to compete at 145 but refused to listen and stay at 160. I'm just shaking my head at his performance.
1/1/12 3:01 PM
gbutts
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Missing Glove Tape - Got a chance to watch the Hettes-Phan fight and I thoroughly enjoyed it. An example of what it means to be a complete fighter(re: standup, clinch, ground) as well as just how much of a dominant/dynamic edge there is in being able to throw an opponent at will. Even Rogan was seemingly in awe both times Hettes hit the hip throws(which made my day! lol) and automatically landed in/transitioned to side control.

I think he has earned his judo BB and a Purple belt in bjj.
1/1/12 3:50 PM
Spartan79

MGT lol I'm sure not so long ago you were arguing that judo wasn't much use in mma? Phone Post
1/1/12 4:27 PM
nowaydo

gbutts - 
nowaydo - I cringed every time Manny G. shot in for doubles and singles. He's been doing judo all of his life and he shoots...doubles and singles?

I have known Manny since he was little so I sent a facebook message ask why he did not use his Judo, when and if reply back i'll let you know. I don't understand why his people don't tell him to stop trying be a wrestler. Manny also needs to fight at 135 he just to small at 145. Manny is also very stubborn when was cometing at judo everyone kept telling hin to compete at 145 but refused to listen and stay at 160. I'm just shaking my head at his performance.

Ironic. I also sent him a facebook question asking him the exact same thing. I was also thinking..."what is his coaches telling him?".
1/1/12 5:15 PM
Missing Glove Tape

gbutts - I think he has earned his judo BB and a Purple belt in bjj.

Rogan mentioned a judo brownbelt, but either way I'd be curious to know where/who Hettes' judo comes from, as his wiki/website bios don't say much besides a wrestling/bjj background and him having won a couple of PA state games judo tournaments, though he's clearly putting in work somewhere.
Spartan79 - MGT lol I'm sure not so long ago you were arguing that judo wasn't much use in mma?

Shoo fly, don't bother me...

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.