Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Spartan79
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Again lol MGT enough said! Phone Post
1/2/12 5:03 AM
Spartan79

Jimy "The Kid" Hettes has won 9 of his professional fights and all 4 of his amateur fights by submission, with his first 6 wins have come in the first round. He is a 2-time Keystone State Games Judo Gold Medalist and earned the nickname "Judo Jim" at Greg Jackson's Camp in Albuquerque, NM. Hettes started boxing at age 14 and started training in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu at the age of 16 and is currently the head instructor at Northeast Ju-Jitsu in Swoyersville, Pennsylvania. Phone Post
1/2/12 7:23 AM
judoblackbelt
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am still trying to view the Hettes fight on youtube and video plays but no video is being displayed. Just want to see some awesome throws in MMA.
1/2/12 7:55 AM
Spartan79

Sure it will be uploaded soon there's a lot of buzz about this kid at the mo! Phone Post
1/2/12 8:23 AM
judoblackbelt
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did watch the Hettes vs Caceres fight and Hettes has some serious standup/ground skills. The 1st throw, harai with a whizzer grip took some of the fight out of Caceres. Those skills are not typical judo Brown Belt.
1/3/12 5:21 AM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - I did watch the Hettes vs Caceres fight and Hettes has some serious standup/ground skills. The 1st throw, harai with a whizzer grip took some of the fight out of Caceres. Those skills are not typical judo Brown Belt.

That's what I'm thinking. Hard to believe he's only a brown belt.
1/5/12 11:20 AM
YumYumPandaburger
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From my experience many judoka in europe are not even aware of mma, they find enough challenge in their judo

Also judoka often seem to underestimate judo compared to more striking oriented martial sports and they don't realize they'd have a very good shot at a thai boxer in a no-rules fight by just using their judo skills
1/6/12 5:36 PM
judoblackbelt

Hettes has BB skills but does he have enough points from tournament competition and the Naga no kata requirement if he is USFJ?
2/2/12 2:49 AM
Spartan79

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Deci_rVr9m6s%26feature%3Dshare%26fwcc%3D1%26fwcl%3D1%26fwl%26_ft_%3Dqid.5704436416230710815%253Amf_story_key.10151189898450517%253Afilter.h_nor%253Ainterface.m_faceweb_iphone%253Ac.m Phone Post
2/3/12 11:16 PM
nowaydo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seong gyeong - 
judoblackbelt - I did watch the Hettes vs Caceres fight and Hettes has some serious standup/ground skills. The 1st throw, harai with a whizzer grip took some of the fight out of Caceres. Those skills are not typical judo Brown Belt.

The belt is irrelevant if he has wrestling experience, for all of the throws he has showcased can be found and learn in wrestling. A judo brown belt with no wrestling isn't the same animal as a judo brown belt with good wrestling experience.
Just like a BJJ blue belt with no wrestling isn't the same animal as a Div 1 blue belt with wrestling.
2/3/12 11:34 PM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ Good point.
2/4/12 5:58 PM
Spartan79

Yeah cus a pure judoka would have noooo chance lol Phone Post
2/6/12 10:05 AM
Outkaster
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's not what we are talking about in the thread. Over course no one would go into MMA matches without some kind of training.
2/6/12 10:47 AM
Spartan79

It's all been overdone now. Can judo work in mma yes. Will we see more of it in USA mma yes. Wrestling and judo training is being combined in mma along with bjj . As gene lebell said its all just grappling ! Phone Post
2/7/12 1:14 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nowaydo - 
Seong gyeong - 

The belt is irrelevant if he has wrestling experience, for all of the throws he has showcased can be found and learn in wrestling. A judo brown belt with no wrestling isn't the same animal as a judo brown belt with good wrestling experience.
Just like a BJJ blue belt with no wrestling isn't the same animal as a Div 1 blue belt with wrestling.

I beg to differ, sir.. that depends totally on where one learned Judo and where one learned how to wrestle. I learned to fight in Judo, not wrestling, and I am pretty damn sure nobody would say I was anything less than aggressive as I could be. Now, sure, if you just go to some recreational little Judo club that is what you will learn to think Judo is... But, those people who really know-- well, lets just say all of us would think you are mistaken.
2/7/12 7:50 AM
nowaydo
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I understand. I just mean it's a possibility. I don't know.
3/5/12 12:22 AM
Jei
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thai judo=greatness Phone Post
3/6/12 8:07 AM
judoblackbelt

Why does "rec judo" always get dissed? It is what I do now since my body can't hold up to the rigors of "real" judo. Rec judo or no judo at all if I want to stay active in judo.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.