UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Mind of Rickson Gracie:this month's Black Belt mag

11/21/11 11:07 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FatBuddha
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My article "Inside the Mind of Rickson Gracie" made the cover of this month's Black Belt magazine...(I originally called it "Rickson the Invincible" but the editors changed the title).

It basically recounts a lot of what Rickson told a few of us about combat pscyhology, etc. in a talk he gave late one night at the Valente Brothers academy the night before he was to give a seminar there.

Hope you like it!

- Steven Abood (aka "Fatbuddha")
11/22/11 11:53 AM
Stickgrappler
1487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello Fatbuddha,

*bows deeply*

I loved it! That's the kind of articles/books I love reading... getting into the minds of the great ones.

Is the rest of your book with the other 9 masters like that?

Looking forward to your book.

Very truly yours in the MA and SD,

~sg
11/22/11 2:33 PM
FatBuddha
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Stickgrappler!

*bows deeply back*

Thanks so much! Your kind words above and on your blog are much appreciated. Yes, the entire book is in that style, trying to get into their minds and convey some of their philosophies about martial arts and living.

The Black Belt article was supposed to say "upcoming book" instead of "book" as I'm still finishing it - I will definitely let you know when I do.

Thanks for your support and encouragement - I'm looking forward to hear what you think about it...best of luck,

- Steve
11/23/11 5:25 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Steve, can you send me a copy of that?

sbginfo@yahoo.com

www.straightblastgym.com
11/23/11 8:00 PM
FatBuddha

Hi Matt!
Unfortunately there is no online version available as of now, but if you send me your address (either here or via email - abood23@hotmail.com) I'd be happy to send you a copy. Hope all is well.
11/23/11 11:04 PM
Stickgrappler
1487 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/23/11 11:06 PM
FatBuddha,

Hope you don't mind, i typed this up. this one is powerful and is gold! posted it to my Facebook, spladdle forum (http://www.spladdle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17222)and will post to my blog later. looking forward to your book!

----

... Gracie talked about the importance of regular jiu-jitsu training and being put in uncomfortable situations.

"Where there's discomfort, there's fear," he said. "In these very tough positions, you're in a little piece of hell. And through this daily suffering, you learn to survive in these situations. You have to find comfort in uncomfortable situations. You have to be able to live in your worst nightmare. Jiu-jitsu puts you completely in the moment where you must have complete focus on finding a solution to the problem. This trains the mind to build that focus, to increase your awareness, your capacity to solve problems. Sometimes, you don't have to win. You cannot win. But that has nothing to do with losing."

"Live In Your Worst Nightmare - The Fighting Wisdom of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu Master Rickson Gracie"
by Steven Abood
Black Belt
January 2012
pg 65
11/23/11 11:22 PM
FatBuddha

Hey Stickgrappler!
In a response to my question of whether there was going to be an online version of the article, Black Belt told me not to post any portion of it online. But I'm guessing that one quote should be OK. Thanks for your support! And you're right that quote was golden. Amazing that he speaks like that off the cuff - I wish I could write as well as he speaks! Looking forward to hearing your feedback/or a review on what you liked or didn't like about my book once it's done. Thanks again!
11/23/11 11:50 PM
Stickgrappler

Dayum, BB said that?

I posted that quote in the same vein that I post interesting quotes from other books. of course, I'm a firm believer of 'give credit where credit is due'... i cited the source. sometimes you gotta give the consumer a teaser/preview, know what i mean?

Just curious, is Ohara the publisher? or whatever BB calls its book publishing line? I bought Kelly McCann's and the Samurai Swordsmanship books by them, they really are nice-looking books. No expense was spared.

Good luck with the rest of the book, and if that article is any indication of your writing I cannot wait for your book to come out. I hope you finish the book soon, although I have many books on my To Read list, if you finish your's, it will jump to the top of my list! I'm not a bjj-guy per se, but I love reading what the masters have to say especially when writers are able to get into their minds.
11/24/11 12:32 AM
FatBuddha

Edited: 11/24/11 12:37 AM
Stickgrappler - thanks! I'm sure you're fine with the quote - if anyone gives you a hard time, just say I was cool with it...and I really do appreciate you helping get the word out there.

Black Belt was highly interested in the book a couple of years ago when I first proposed the idea and we had some meetings but I wanted to shop it around to some New York publishers to try to reach as large a readership as possible. I've been a bit sidetracked with training judo in Japan, and other training trips, but now I'm very motivated to make a decision regarding the publisher (nothing has been decided yet either way) and finish the book. I'm glad you like the writing style - it's in that vein all throughout the book. I'll keep you posted!
11/25/11 4:57 PM
Jaggernautico
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice article! are there any more articles coming up before the book comes out?
11/25/11 5:10 PM
FatBuddha

thanks! I really wanted to do a column which they said they don't have room for at the present time (UG petition? lol), so I submitted other essays - one on training with Relson Gracie, the street fighter of the Gracie family, in Hawaii, and a few others, so we'll see...another was comparing Helio Gracie's jiujitsu from private lessons and seminars with him to the Kosen Judo I saw in Japan in Kyoto University...I'll keep you all posted!
1/15/12 3:35 AM
WidespreadPanic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some of the simplest things are the hardest to do. Some of the shortest sayings are the deepest.

I like live in your nightmare, like the more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in the fight (SEALs), and Stay hungry (Arnold?)

1/22/12 7:06 AM
Boyscout
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/22/12 7:07 AM
Will check this out in BB and the book sounds great, any more detials on it? Having trouble following links from work.

Regards

Richard
1/24/12 5:40 PM
FatBuddha

Boyscout:
if you email me at abood23@hotmail.com I can add you to my free email newsletter Self Defense Insider, with the Rickson article, and all the info you need! Please put "newsletter" in the subject heading. Thanks! If you have any friends who would also like it, the more emails I get, the more it helps with the book deal. Much appreciated and thanks for your words of support!
3/28/12 1:09 PM
Kneeblock
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey FB, can you come to the thread below and talk a bit more about the project? Also, I found this thread after that issue of BB was no longer on the stands. I'd love to read it. kneeblock at yahoo.com

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=1978057&page=1&pc=1

3/29/12 5:06 AM
FatBuddha

Kneeblock - no problem - posted on the thread you linked - thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.