UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> UFC on FOX 2: Sonnen vs. Munoz & Jake vs. Sanchez

11/22/11 7:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BasementKnee
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The card for UFC on FOX 2 set for January 28th is starting to come together. MMAInteviews first reported and Fight Cove was able to independently confirm, former middleweight title challenger Chael Sonnen will take on Mark Munoz for the right to face middleweight champion Anderson Silva in the headliner of the promotions second network TV event.

In another feature bout, top welterweight contenders Jake Ellenberger and Diego Sanchez will to square off in a fight that could give the winner a UFC title shot.

Sonnen (26-11-1) last fought at UFC 136 in October, defeating Brian Stann by submission in the second round. It was Sonnen’s first fight after over one year away from the octagon due to suspension. It appears he will opt to stay active instead of waiting to fight middleweight champion Anderson Silva, who is likely sidelined until mid-2012 due to injury.

Munoz (12-2) scored the biggest victory of his career at UFC 138 earlier this month, stopping Chris Leben with a second round TKO. “The Filipino Wrecking Machine” respectfully requested an opportunity to fight for the UFC middleweight championship after he defeated Leben, but it seems he will have to get through Sonnen first.

It is unknown at this time if the fight between Sonnen and Munoz will be three or five round fight.

Ellenberger (26-5) has won five straight UFC fights, most recently becoming only the second man to finish former Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields. The Nebraska born fighter holds a 5-1 UFC record and looks to make a case to fight for the welterweight championship against Sanchez.

Sanchez (23-4) was scheduled to face Matt Hughes at UFC 135, but a broken hand suffered three weeks before the fight forced Sanchez to withdraw. Sanchez is on a two-fight win streak, having defeated Martin Kampmann by unanimous decision in his last outing. Healthy and ready to pick up where he left off, Sanchez will bring his relentless style to the octagon once again.

UFC on FOX 2 is set for January 28th, 2012, live on FOX. See the latest fight card here.

My first impression of the announcement, Dana White and Joe Silva really hit the nail on the head with these two fights. Sonnen vs. Munoz makes all the sense in the world. If Sonnen wins (which I think he will), he will not only set up the biggest rematch in UFC history, but he will silence Anderson Silva who has said Sonnen is not deserving of a title shot after one fight.

Ellenberger vs. Sanchez is a fantastic bit of matchmaking, it seems the UFC was pay attention to my Joe Silva’s Shoes after Ellenberger’s last fight. With most of the top welterweights tied up at the moment, this fight was the logical choice for both men. I expect an all out war between these two. Ellenberger has looked fantastic lately, Sanchez…not so much.

There are still two unknowns coming out of the announcement. First, will the fight between Sonnen and Munoz be five rounds? And second, who will fill the two remaining main card slots?

All in all, the UFC chose wisely and the card already has the makings for an unforgettable night.
11/22/11 7:56 AM
jct71
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good matchups,Ellenberger gets the KO.
11/22/11 8:05 AM
T Bag

Good fights.
Jake is a bad matchup for Diego
11/22/11 8:12 AM
Barbartha
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good match ups. Chael vs. Munoz hopefully will be a good brawl.

11/22/11 8:16 AM
SuMBJJ

I'm really surprised that they'd jeopardize Chael vs. Anderson.  Good fight tho.
11/22/11 8:18 AM
WheresBobbySouthworth

Diego isn't even close to a title shot. He lost to Hathaway and Kampmann in 2 of his last 3 fights. Why not just do a Condit/Ellenberger title eliminator?
11/22/11 8:26 AM
fabes
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

T Bag - Good fights.

Jake is a bad matchup for almost everyone. Rather see Jake vs. Fitch/Koscheck/Condit, but it will be an interesting scrap.
11/22/11 8:36 AM
WheresBobbySouthworth

fabes - 
T Bag - Good fights.

Jake is a bad matchup for almost everyone. Rather see Jake vs. Fitch/Koscheck/Condit, but it will be an interesting scrap.<br type="_moz" />

I kind of worry about Diego's chin after this fight. He has a great chin. But he has absolutely nothing for Jake. He likely can't take him down and he will get lit standing. I think he's gonna take a lot of abuse. This fight kind of reminds me of Chuck Liddell vs Jeremy Horn. The submission grappler with an amazing chin will not be able to get the fight on the ground versus a striker with a wrestling base and granite hands.
11/22/11 8:36 AM
In The Clinch
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mark Munoz please stomp the WWE out of Chael.
11/22/11 8:47 AM
Wittsy
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hope Munoz takes this. Although Chael's antics bring media attention (good or bad), they wear on my nerves. I'm sick of the schtick.

Munoz doesn't have the media magnetism, but he is just as worthy of title contention, and has the tools to follow the "Sonnen gameplan" to actually take the belt from Anderson.
11/22/11 8:55 AM
Eisenberg
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Munoz TDD isnt great, he's gonna get put on his ass by Chael early and often.
11/22/11 8:58 AM
JohnnyChrist

Jake is a bad matchup for Diego? Definitely in the first round, but Jake fades whereas Diego gets stronger as the fight goes on. I think Diego will win 29-28, losing the first round pretty handily but coming back like a savage in the second and third.
11/22/11 9:02 AM
KC007

I thought they already booked Silva vs Sonnen? Phone Post
11/22/11 9:03 AM
Blaat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ that's not going to happen.
Chael will submit him too! Phone Post
11/22/11 9:04 AM
Blaat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was for "in the clinch" Phone Post
11/22/11 9:10 AM
Bloodstorm

Coming from an Anderson fan if chael wins give him a title fight Phone Post
11/22/11 9:11 AM
LayNprayNINJA

Not shocking that Zuffa is keeping Chael away from California and Nevada completely.

Global expansion is working out well for the cheater. He wins in Chicago, then he gets to fight Anderson in Brazil.

Not sure how they will protect his steroid use if he were to win the belt though. 
11/22/11 9:12 AM
LayNprayNINJA

Bloodstorm -  Coming from an Anderson fan if chael wins give him a title fight Phone Post

I agree with this. Shit I would agree if he didn't even win one more.

As a fan of fairness, I would really like to see Sonnen be forced to man up to the CSAC or NSAC in order to get his shot though. Dodging those states just makes him seem more and more guilty of abusing the juice he is "prescribed"...
11/22/11 9:17 AM
NiteProwleR
1105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would be satisfied as hell if Munoz outwrestled him via Tito/Couture. Add a spanking for good measure.
11/22/11 9:19 AM
Brian Rule
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Munoz given to Chael is the biggest gift since Jones got Rampage. 100% clear they want to give Chael and easy fight (and to make a name) before rematching Anderson.
11/22/11 10:00 AM
Willin
177 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian Rule - Munoz given to Chael is the biggest gift since Jones got Rampage. 100% clear they want to give Chael and easy fight (and to make a name) before rematching Anderson.

Munoz beat Chael in college wrestling. Granted I think Chael's MMA game is way better than Mark's but it's not as clear cut a match as it may seem.
11/22/11 10:08 AM
DVDragon
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Brian Rule - Munoz given to Chael is the biggest gift since Jones got Rampage. 100% clear they want to give Chael and easy fight (and to make a name) before rematching Anderson.

It's a title eliminator, who else should they "give" to Chael? Let me guess you want him to fight either Maia or Palhares...
11/22/11 10:21 AM
JTfromCharlotte

Enough with Diego Sanchez. I hope Ellenberger destroys him worse than he destroyed Shields.
11/22/11 10:31 AM
TBidness
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So pumped that Jake is fighting on the Chicago card. Cannot wait! He destroys Diego btw.
11/22/11 10:33 AM
McBottery
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anderson tucked.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.