UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Norinco firearms, Opinions?

11/22/11 12:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DaNewf
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking about picking up a Norinco JW 21. It's a lever action rifle chambered in .22LR (I think it takes short and long as well). I think it's supposed to be a knock off of the Winchester 9422. I already have a Marlin 925 in .22LR but for some reason I really want a levergun and the JW 21 comes cheap. Intended use will be rabbit/grouse hunting and plinking.

So, anyone have any experience with this rifle in particular? How about any other Norinco firearm (rifle, handgun shotgun)? Does this company produce quality products (when you take price into account of course)?

Any experience/advice or opinion is appreciated. Thanks.
11/28/11 12:33 PM
wheeels
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have 3 norinco's, not the particular ones you are looking at. You can't beat them for the money.
11/29/11 11:13 AM
DaNewf
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went ahead and bought one. Given my limited experience with the rifle so far (4 days) I will agree with you, great value. Hopefully time won't prove me wrong.

It was the cheapest .22 lever action option available to me. It is not the most beatiful rifle and the action seems a little rough to me but hopefully it will smooth out over time. The trigger is decent. I really like that it's all wood and steel (plastic butt plate excluded). At a little over six pounds it has a nice heft and feels durable.

I don't like buckhorn sights so I replaced the rear sight with a Skinner barrel mount aperature and painted the front sight blade blaze orange after removing the shroud. I removed the aperature insert on the rear sight resulting in a .200" ghost ring. I really like the resulting sight picture for the rifle's intended use, small game hunting in close cover(grouse, snowshoe hare).

So far I have gone on one hunting trip where I got a rough zero and harvested a single spruce grouse at about 15 feet (a scope would have been a hinderance). I can't speak to the rifle's accuracy yet as all shooting (even sighting in) was done standing unsupported and I need some bench time with it. The only real problem was that the rifle wasn't propery feeding rounds from the mag tube. By pointing the muzzle straight up the rounds would gravity feed and that got me through the morning.

This failure was actually my fault. The rifle comes from the factory with a pretty liberal coating of oil/grease. The first thing I did after I bought was take it apart and clean it. There was a lot of protective gunk to be removed. For some reason I forgot to swab out and reoil the inner magazine tube and as a result the plunger was jamming. Now that I have it properly cleaned the rifle feeds like a champ even pointed straight downwards.

I am satasfied with my purchase and looking forward to getting out with it more.

11/29/11 11:46 AM
wheeels
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yup, you'll find the actions aren't quite as smooth at least at the beginning and they definitely are liberal with their thick packing grease.

I've got a Norc M305 (M1A), NP-22 (Sig P226 clone) and an M1911.. all have been great.
5/22/12 2:25 PM
Loiosh

I've got a JW15 22lr bolt gun(CZ knock-off) and a m93 22lr pistol(Colt Woodsman clone) and love both of them. The rifle was accurate out of the box. I mounted a 3-9 scope and it groups beautifully.

The pistol's group are getting tighter every time I go out as it breaks in and my skill increases. Another thing I love is that it eats anything I feed it: sub-sonics, standard velocity, high velocity and hyper velocity all cycle through with zero problems.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.