UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> Inspired by Momentum

11/22/11 7:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ThePigpen
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thought you guys might like to hear this. About 5 years ago when I was in my second year of grad school (traditional chinese medicine) I read and replied to a thread that Momentum had posted in.

Long story short I was pretty bummed by the idea of being broke when I graduated and working in an in industry where the average salary is about 25k a year.

I got on the thread and Momentum asked if we could chat on the phone about business. We ended up talking on the phone and he gave me some really great pointers about thinking outside of the box with my profession and also believing in the fact that all business success started with relationships. He told me that if I wanted to earn 6 figues with a wellness business then there was nothing to stop my but myself and my own lack of creativity.

Now about 5 years later, I've graduated, moved, opened a gym and an acupuncture practice and both are doing extremely well.

Today though, I just finished off a year long project to build a website to sell a product that I had been sitting on for a long time - a fusion of traditional chinese herbs and chocolates. PMS cured by chocolate truffles? Absolutely. We sell a ton of them and that's without a website or any marketting!

I know that I can't list the site here, but I wanted to thank Momentum for talking to a lowly OG'er years ago. It really inspired me to get out and meet people (I met my biz partner at a Toastmasters meeting) and to really think out of the box.

That's my business forum story
11/22/11 7:50 PM
LiveWire
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story. There is some advice I could use myself from the guy.
11/22/11 7:55 PM
ThePigpen
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks man, I actually googled him before we talked and was very surprised that a guy with his background was willing to give his time to a grad student.

11/24/11 2:52 PM
LukeCranson

Awesome thread
11/25/11 3:12 AM
MightMakesRight
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's too bad Momentum doesn't post much any more
11/25/11 12:57 PM
Beezulbubba
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why can't you post the site here?
12/2/11 12:50 AM
Twelve Gage
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's a pretty cool story!

Good luck with the website!
12/2/11 12:15 PM
dunc
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cocoPMS truffles?
12/3/11 9:21 AM
Momentum
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the kind threads and thoughts. I always enjoy to share whatever insight and experience I have with others. I have always believed our lives are primarily judged by the contributions we make while we are here. That is why I consider it a privilege when I get to do coaching calls with people and I have had the opportunity all over the world.

I have never looked at anyone as a "lowly OG". It was an honor to be asked for help and reading the story above just confirms to me the value of taking a little time daily to help others can exponentially change that persons life and many others. That is the great part of a positive contribution. It never stops with the individual.

Most important, congratulations on all your accomplishments. While my input might have been a spark, make no mistake it was your desire and discipline that created your life and success. I wish you continued success and thank you again for posting your story.

One a side note, I wish I could be here more. I try to come to the OG daily but life is really busy these days. I seem to be doing a great deal of traveling. I am by nature a workaholic because I love to work and learn. Of course I try to spend my time outside of work with my family, especially as I watch my kids grow up so quickly and realize my time window with them is short.

Ironically my businesses are all booming. It goes to show if you keep raising your value to the marketplace, create visibility for your value to others, work hard every day, and make relationships the foundation of all your business,then no economy can have a negative impact on you. Sadly, we live is a society that sees entitlement as a greater value than earning your way. However, if you make earning your way and going the extra mile part of your identity, success is only a function of time.
12/3/11 11:48 AM
salyer36
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Awesome.
12/19/11 1:59 AM
LukeCranson

Here is a great post that I saved from Momentum

I am not much of a goal setter. Here is why. I was told by someone that they greatest source of suffering in the Western Culture is obsessing about the future and comparison to others. I realized that with my goal setting I was so focused on the finish line that I failed to enjoy the journey. I have general goals because it gives me direction. However, my goal is to live every day with growth, contribution, enjoyment and gratitude. I learned a long time ago that activity is the key to results. I believe unwaivering pigheaded discipline is the most important part of growth. Anyway, I thought I would throw in my two cents on the issue. If you want to see your life change, build your day to insure the 4 points above define each and every day. Trust me that you will see the benefit over time. By the way, that means you also have to schedule quiet time each day to process life
3/3/12 11:56 PM
reagan123
52 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great story... I too have learned a lot from Momentum on these forums.

Way to make things happen for yourself.
3/13/12 9:53 AM
Hemlock
145 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congratulations dude, I love these success story posts. Sounds like you have taken it by the horns.
4/13/12 3:15 PM
Palmala Handerson
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LukeCranson - Here is a great post that I saved from Momentum

I am not much of a goal setter. Here is why. I was told by someone that they greatest source of suffering in the Western Culture is obsessing about the future and comparison to others. I realized that with my goal setting I was so focused on the finish line that I failed to enjoy the journey. I have general goals because it gives me direction. However, my goal is to live every day with growth, contribution, enjoyment and gratitude. I learned a long time ago that activity is the key to results. I believe unwaivering pigheaded discipline is the most important part of growth. Anyway, I thought I would throw in my two cents on the issue. If you want to see your life change, build your day to insure the 4 points above define each and every day. Trust me that you will see the benefit over time. By the way, that means you also have to schedule quiet time each day to process life

Words of wisdom right here.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.