UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Paul Motian - R.I.P.

12/20/11 12:00 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
hugomma
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet, thanks Ali.  I know what I'll be doing this X-mas break.  I'll see what I can dig up as well in the next few days.
12/20/11 9:04 PM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There's definitely more on youtube... a couple things from both that Live in Tokyo record and the Live at the Vanguard record, for starters. And VERY much worth hearing. But I'm not posting everything. They didn't have the particular tracks I would have picked first from either of those. There's a companion disc, maybe from that same Vanguard stand, too, that has a few tracks.

ALL that stuff is beyond good, actually.

I posted "Body and Soul" because Lovano did... I figured that must mean something, if that's his Paul Motian "tribute" choice. No idea how much time he spent thinking about it, or if it's just a mellow, sad eulogy-type-thing. I'm pushing more the Motian originals, in general, myself. But still, that's great. And where Frisell transitions from tuning his guitar to actually doing the intro is impossible to tell. I'd rather listen to that guy tune up than most guitar heros soloing!
12/27/11 10:38 PM
hugomma
912 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, so much for listening time during vacation.

Just got to the entirety of "You Took the Words Right Out of My Heart" from Live at the Village Vanguard.

I know I'm just scratching the surface, but Lovano's phrasing is just stunning. And Frisell's lick from 2:49 - 2:52. I know, obvious stuff, but still...mind-bending.

The interplay between the three is just hard to describe. I wouldn't have the slightest idea on what to write about it. I've never heard anything quite like it.

I'll keep coming back to check out more as often as I can.

Thanks again,

Hugo
12/28/11 12:11 AM
Ali
666 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad you dig that, Hugo -- yes, the interplay... all the things they said about Miles' band starting with E.S.P.... it IS like ESP. Or the Borg, or some other metaphor for being so damned attuned. It really takes my breath away, even after dozens and dozens of hearings. I've been listening to very little else these past couple weeks (I mean, more than is on this thread, or findable online, but very little outside of Motian records with at least those other two guys).
2/1/12 2:33 PM
hugomma

Just went back & listened to all of these again. The more you listen, the more you hear. Great stuff Ali, thank you. The wife got me an nice MP3 player (my 1st ever, LOL). I need to get "Trioism" & "At the Village Vanguard".

What are your thoughts on Motion's work with Keith Jarrett? I checked it out, & at first it didn't do much for me. As great as Jarrett is, I'm not a huge fan of his solo work. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,

Hugo
2/1/12 11:10 PM
Ali

Edited: 02/01/12 11:11 PM
Honestly, I'm not that familiar with that era of Jarrett. Great band. I love Charlie Haden a lot, too. But I just don't know that stuff very well. I assume it's really good, but takes a lot of listenings, LOL.

There are of course 9 MILLION Jarrett records. I don't know 8million of them at all. Of those I know, my favorite is probably "The Cure", with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.

Yeah, you said it -- the more you listen the more you hear with that Motian trio stuff. I'm so glad you "get" that music. I listened to it A LOT over the 3 weeks after he died. More than I had in a very long time. And I just didn't have room for anything else for a while... it was just so much better than whatever else I tried to listen to. But... that's from someone who listened a lot, LOL. And I made a compilaton of about 70 minutes worth of things across 5 or 6 albums, cherry-picked.
2/3/12 10:20 PM
hugomma

Ali,

Check this out: anothe war horse, "Body & Soul", with Lovano, Konitz, Marc Johnson, Frisell, & of course, Motion.  Sorry, I can't embed it, but it's worth copying & pasting the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWXW2TDPCc

2/4/12 1:56 AM
Ali

that's Stella by Starlight... and hell yeah:

2/4/12 1:16 PM
hugomma

Ali - that's Stella by Starlight... and hell yeah:

Ooops, sorry about that.  Don't know why I posted "Body & Sout".  Either way, good listen :-)

2/4/12 2:28 PM
Ali

Edited: 02/04/12 2:37 PM
I always think of this Tribal Tech tune... "Stella by Infra-Red High Particle Electron Beam". I just like the title.

That Motian band with Konitz -- I love that stuff, but it's leaning pretty heavily toward the "bebop"/trad side of those guys -- obviously they don't do it TOO trad at all -- which is not necessarily my favorite. Though I do love it in part because it shows those guys ARE jazz musicians, and all the choices they make, even when playing more rock-ist or more avant-garde stuff, are choices made by people who come out of a very grounded tradition. They're not just mucking around. And hell yeah, anyway. I love to death a lot of things that fall short of "favorite"!

Always, Frisell's comping kills me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.