UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Going Deer hunting tomorrow... Tips?

11/23/11 1:27 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KampHitMyMannHole
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey guys

I am going hunting with my father-in-law and brother-in-laws Thursday to Saturday. Do you guys have some good tips for deer hunting? I've never been before, but i've shot rifles before so I'm not worried about the shooting part.

Thanks
11/23/11 4:51 PM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Stay warm, that's my tip.

Nothing worse than being miserably cold out there and worrying more about that than enjoying what you're doing.  Also, don't get too caught up in feeling like you have to shoot something for the trip to be a success. You don't have to kill the first thing you see, unless it's what you're looking for.

Good luck, have fun.
11/23/11 5:02 PM
KampHitMyMannHole
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best advice I've heard. I don't have the fancy woodland camos but I have sweatshirts and good jackets Phone Post
11/23/11 6:19 PM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know if it's cold where you are, but if you can keep your feet and hands warm that goes a long way.  Wool socks and warm gloves make big difference.

As far as camo, don't worry, and just an fyi in case you don't know, deer are color blind, that's why hunters can wear blaze orange without any problems.  So yeah, the whole camo industry is kind of a farce and really about looking good when it comes to deer.  As far as I know deer can see the blue though, so maybe don't wear a blue sweatshirt, but even if a deer looks straight at you if you don't move it won't make you out, as long as your outline is broken up in some kind of cover.

Be patient and be ready for anything, it could happen in the firsdt 30 seconds, or the last 30 seconds, or not at all. But the anticipation of something appearing at any moment is what makes it fun.
11/28/11 5:58 PM
MachetePhil

hmm, no updates.  I hope your screen name wasn't some unfortunate forshadowing of your first hunting experience.

11/28/11 9:29 PM
KampHitMyMannHole

Haha sorry guys. Been busy, last week of school and holidays ending.
Will update soon Phone Post
11/28/11 10:40 PM
KampHitMyMannHole

So the actual hunting was a dud.
I only saw 2 deer the 3 days we were up there, and that was driving back down to the camp site so we couldnt shoot at them.

It was nice to be out in nature and hang out with the male in-laws. No body had any shots on any deer, or they simply were too small to kill so we went home meatless.

Me and 2 others even tried to do a run, scare the deer down to the 2 guys we had in tree stands and that shit didnt work. It sucked a little bit, but I tried moonshine for the first time ... i'd call it the trip a success, but the hunting was a dud

OH, and the screen name is from an SN Bet i lost from Story v Kampmann
11/30/11 3:07 PM
MachetePhil

Sucks about he lack of deer, but that's the way it goes sometimes. Glad to hear you had a good trip though. 

I don't know where you are but here the deer aren't moving for shit during daylight right now,  I'd be happy to see two while driving right now.
4/16/12 8:10 PM
Saiga12
126 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't been able to make it out to my "good" hunting spot in Cumberland,VA for the last 2 years. Had a friend with some land swear he has deer all over his place. Haven't seen any for the last 2 years, even camped out over night to track their patterns to see if they were more active early or late. I think they either have secret underground tunnels or jump from tree to tree. Seen scrapings, scat, and found were they bed down....still nothing. Going to try same spot again this year but moving back towards the other end of the land where they come out of the swamp in the evening....Hope to make it out to my mom's place too. Deer like crazy out there. But every time I tried to go the weather was shit and roads blocked etc.. Definitely going out there this summer to thin out the coyote population on some of her friends cattle farms.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.