UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Best Places to Eat on Oahu

12/4/11 9:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im always looking for good places to eat, like I mentioned in the other thread, good pizza is hard to come by and so is Mexican food for that matter. What are the best places to eat for certain cuisines? Mexican, Italian, Thai, Chinese, Japanese..etc
12/4/11 10:08 PM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ate a sandwich at a Cuban restaurant called Soul De Cuba Cafe a couple weeks ago that I haven't been able to get out of my mind since. It was the most amazing sandwich I have ever had...was around 10 bucks. The place is on Bethel St. if you're ever in that area, right across from the Hawaii Theater.

FUCK that was a good sandwich.
12/4/11 10:12 PM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Look at this thing:

http://thecommonfoodie.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/img_1582.jpg

nom nom nom
12/4/11 10:17 PM
Matt Phillips
831 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I tried a cuban sandwich for the first time ever last June, I had no idea they were so delicious!

12/4/11 10:36 PM
FCTV808
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for later... off to dinner :)
12/4/11 11:37 PM
yakumomutsu
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll recommend Assagios for Italian/Sicilian.

I've been eating there for years and I love it, but here's put the icing on the cake...

At work we had a bunch of east coasters come in to help with the work load. They all know their italian food, but they had a legit old world Sicilian with them. They all loved Assagios but the Sicilian said that was one of the best meal he's ever had in his life. Phone Post
12/4/11 11:40 PM
yakumomutsu
167 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Funny thing is after he said that they were all breaking his balls, telling him there wasn't a single Italian in the kitchen. Lol they were telling him it was probably all asians...I old them they were probably right if they added in a couple Marshalese(sp) lol Phone Post
12/5/11 12:24 AM
Moke
190 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no good mexican food in the state of Hawaii.
12/5/11 12:49 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
119 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am intrigued by this "Soul De Cuba Cafe"
12/5/11 1:00 AM
Magnum TA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cafe Sistina is the best Italian IMO and I have tried them all. Phone Post
12/5/11 1:03 AM
Magnum TA

I like JJ Dolan's for pizza (FCTV808 approved) Phone Post
12/5/11 1:54 AM
surf_or_die
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bella mia is my favorite italian resto by far. food is authentic new york city italian cuisine. i think the proprietor is from bensonhurst(brooklyn). huge portions and the prices are extremely reasonable.
12/5/11 3:01 AM
fnunderful
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will go to jj dolans this week...these other italian places have been disappointing. East cost visitors must have been from Pennsylvania...or the east coast of Lake Superior...
12/5/11 3:44 AM
FCTV808
309 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/05/11 3:48 AM
the closest i've been to eating real italian was in little italy off stockton in sf, and if that's any gauge against what we have here in hawaii (at least all the spots mentioned above for italian), i can say confidently, that all the places here are MEH at best and definitely overpriced. if you meet a local girl and want to impress her w/ italian, i don't think you'd have a problem as long as you know your wine w/ the places mentioned in this thread, but if you get a REAL italian FOODIE, he'll spit in your face.

i have had some real picky italians in my company when taking them for italian here--big mistake. i've heard though, there is a decent italian place in the grand wailea in maui, but i haven't had an opportunity to try that yet.

the best mexican i had in hawaii was in my own kitchen when my friend's mexican gf cooked enchiladas from scratch--she didn't make her own tortillas though as we didn't have the time to do it so we just used store bought corn t. in other words the best mexican you'll get here is MEH also.

there are good jfood and kfood places here. for good japanese yakiniku, hiroshi's on royal hawaiian--the horumo is fresh and delicious. everywhere else (all k places), IF they had horumo, it sucked. blech. don't let people tell you gyukaku or that fucking boosheet--you asked for GOOD places.

for chinese, it depends on the dish you're looking for. personally, one of the unique dishes we have in hawaii are cake noodles. many places have them, but i personally like ON ON chinese restaurant on mccully and also that piece of shit dirty hole in the wall next to hawaii kai safeway, Phoenix Restaurant..

i'll let the other recommend thai, as i don't really care for it (although i like it better than viet), and the only place i really enjoyed were those thai places w/ the backroom where i could discretely entertain jflight attendants back in the day.

for decent pizza, i like jj dolans, but i also don't mind the pies at nordstrom cafe. problem is, at nordstroms, you ahve to order two to get full--but that place is a panty dropper if you need to get them off someone. i also like a good magoos extra cheese pizza if i feel like a really oregano'd crust. it hits the fucking spot sometimes.

good sushi places here as well. use this as a guide: if the chef ain't japan japanese, fuck that place. if the chef is japanese, but the owner IS NOT, than fuck that place. if teh sushi comes on a colored plate on a belt. FUCK THAT PLACE. if it's FUSION w/ lemon juice and other fucking french sauces on the fish, FUCK THAT PLACE AND KILL THE FUCKING SELL OUT FUCKTARD DESERVING MURDER CHEFFUCKTARD.

best bet is just to get poke bowls from ONO's next to gw on kapahulu. buy a blender and blend your own acai w/ just soy milk and blueberries. NO FUCKING BANANAS AND STRAWBERRY FAGGOTS INSIDE IT.

mahalo?
12/5/11 3:45 AM
FCTV808

also try fried moi and akule. go local japanese on these dishes. you know what? local food is best. just hit the local plate lunch shops.

if you feel like it's too cheap, take it home and put it on a fucking plate.

mahalo
12/5/11 3:57 AM
Matt Phillips

I usually make my own italian food, but sometimes its nice to go out for it.

I have a midwestern palette, steak and potatoes type diet. But, I need to diversify and get away from all that shit and get my ass back in shape.

12/5/11 4:02 AM
FCTV808

of all the steak places here, i still prefer to grill my own usda prime rib either at home w/ friends or at the beach and watch the sun go down. (but i like mine w/ rice)

that combo, no can beat.
12/5/11 4:15 AM
Matt Phillips

my wife and I went to BLT Steak for our anniversary. It was pricey, but it was pretty good.

Normally I get some ribeyes and grill them out here though. 
12/5/11 4:24 AM
Matt Phillips

DevinS - I ate a sandwich at a Cuban restaurant called Soul De Cuba Cafe a couple weeks ago that I haven't been able to get out of my mind since. It was the most amazing sandwich I have ever had...was around 10 bucks. The place is on Bethel St. if you're ever in that area, right across from the Hawaii Theater.

FUCK that was a good sandwich.

I think I might hit that place up in the next couple weeks. Looks like a good place.
12/5/11 10:49 AM
Magnum TA

Indian food is the good stuff IMO Phone Post
12/5/11 12:09 PM
PimpLimp
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magnum TA -  10 year old Indian boys is the good stuff IMO Phone Post

Eww.
12/5/11 2:06 PM
Magnum TA

FCTV808 - of all the steak places here, i still prefer to grill my own usda prime rib either at home w/ friends or at the beach and watch the sun go down. (but i like mine w/ rice)

that combo, no can beat.
Rice with steak = fail Phone Post
12/5/11 2:19 PM
FCTV808

Magnum TA - 
FCTV808 - of all the steak places here, i still prefer to grill my own usda prime rib either at home w/ friends or at the beach and watch the sun go down. (but i like mine w/ rice)

that combo, no can beat.
Rice with steak = fail Phone Post

If you're going that route, then anything but a really good cabernet is fail. So take that potato bastard
12/5/11 2:28 PM
Magnum TA

Only baked or mashed potatoes with steak CASE CLOSED Phone Post
12/5/11 3:41 PM
FCTV808

the highest end steaks are not from OK but kobe, and we have them w/ RICE. mahalo

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.