UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> mossberg 500/590 vs. remington 870?

12/5/11 4:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
tysaw
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am consdering buying a pump shotgun. Not sure which direction to go. Anyone have any ideas on pros/cons of 870 versus 590? Never had a mossberg...I have heard mixed reviews. Do you like one over the other? Why or why not? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks
12/5/11 6:22 PM
Skpotamus
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The mossberg 590A1 was the shotgun the military picked over the remington years ago. Remington Express grades have had some QC issues in recent years as they try to cut costs more and more.

Really, its what feels best to you. I personally prefer the mossbergs, but that's just personal preference due to the safety location (I find it works better for me with pistol grips than the remington. YMMV.
12/6/11 8:46 AM
tysaw

thanks skpotamus. I too like the safety location.
12/6/11 7:04 PM
tysaw

anyone else? thoughts? opinions?
12/8/11 10:12 PM
BshMstr
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tysaw - anyone else? thoughts? opinions?

i use the 870 at work, but have little other experience with shotguns. i've never had any issues with it and it seems simple and hard to screw up. but, when i have a gun call, i reach past the shotgun and grab my AR anyway...
2/9/12 3:38 PM
FJJ828

Had a Mossberg in the army when I was stationed in Panama. Now have Rem870 assigned. I thought the Moss was a better fit for me.
2/12/12 5:10 PM
crubs
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tysaw - anyone else? thoughts? opinions?

So what did you end up going with? I just picked up a mossie500. I really didn't wanna go the mossberg direction just because every other person has a mossberg. I shopped around, held different shotguns, out of curiosity, I put up the 500 on my shoulder and realized why every other person has one. I paid $299 @ my local big5 and it came with 18" and 28" barrels. Can somebody recommend me a nice recoil pad? motherfucker kicks like bruce lee. I know, I am wuss.
2/23/12 6:11 AM
TommyRSU
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/23/12 6:13 AM
 I looked at both shotguns as the 870 is the most common shotgun sold annually I believe.  I ended up getting a Mossberg 500 Defender for a variety of reasons.  I wanted something with a short barrel (18.5 is the shortest they make) in case I had to sweep a house I wanted it small and compact.  Mossbergs also make that classic shotgun cocking sound.  My Mossberg holds 6 shells total (5 in the barrel and 1 in the elevator), but I only put 5 in there so I could cock the gun and hopefully scare someone off if I need to (someone who broke into my house only), and also so if you turn the safety off and pull the trigger, the gun won't discharge.

All those other benefits aside, I preferred and picked the Mossberg for 2 huge reasons:

1.  Location of the Action Lever (press the lever to be able to cock the gun)
     On a Mossberg its right by the pistol grip, on the 870, you have to take your right hand (assuming you are   right handed) off of the gun and press it because its in a different location.  I never want to take my finger off the trigger when I'm operating a gun for anything.  I think this is a serious flaw on the shotgun.
2.   Skpotamus hit it on the spot, the location of the safety is much better.  Instead of by the trigger, its directly on top of the gun where your thumb can easily get to it.  It's easier to see, and more intuitive.

Mossberg is the way to go.  If you can drop the money on the military issue one that is great because it has a different sighting which makes aiming way easier, and you can add attachments down on the barrel like flashlights and all sorts of cool shit.  I'm not saying the Remmington is a bad Shotgun at all, its solid.  I just think the Mossberg is a superior shotgun and I would go with that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.