UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Orthodox athletes

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/6/11 2:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Grakman
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I was reading an article about Tebow, which said he isn't even the most outspoken or religious player in the NFL. This article discusses Troy Polamalu and his conversion to Orthodoxy. I thought of Ridge and thought I would share on the Holyground.
12/6/11 10:07 PM
Ridgeback
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grakman - I was reading an article about Tebow, which said he isn't even the most outspoken or religious player in the NFL. This article discusses Troy Polamalu and his conversion to Orthodoxy. I thought of Ridge and thought I would share on the Holyground.

I knew about this.  Don't know a whole lot about him, but I remember it being mentioned in some article I read.  More interesting to me is that some of the greatest novelists, composers, film makers, artists, scientists, literary theorists and philosophers in history have been Orthodox.  I don't think this makes them saints or anything or  that it means Orthodoxy is true, but rather I find these creative types interesting due to how they have expressed their Orthodoxy through their creative work.  I don't think there is an Orthodox way to play football, but I hope he is humble off the field.  
12/7/11 3:25 AM
RoidsGracie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surprised no one mentioned Fedor. He's also known for being super humble outside of the cage.
12/7/11 1:15 PM
Ridgeback
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RoidsGracie -  Surprised no one mentioned Fedor. He's also known for being super humble outside of the cage.

Yes, I like Fedor and he is Russian Orthodox.  It appears to be genuine too.  I say that because, let's face it, a lot of Orthodoxy is about cultural identity, not a personal striving after God.  Not that this is any different with any other tradition.  
12/8/11 7:16 PM
Sandy Pantz
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Several current and former NBA players are Orthodox and do a lot of charity work. Divac, Stojakovic, and others.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.