UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Wear Suit to Job Interview?

12/8/11 2:59 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The last couple I've been to I wore a collared shirt and tie but no jacket. Is it weird to wear a suit to a job interview over here? My next interview is at a bank. Thanks.
12/8/11 3:19 AM
Magnum TA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt it would hurt you
12/8/11 3:33 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive done it. but then again I wear suits everywhere
12/8/11 3:34 AM
FCTV808
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

no
12/8/11 3:42 AM
meatrokket
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you really want to stand out, I suggest wearing a tuxedo. Phone Post
12/8/11 3:58 AM
DevinS
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

meat, I was thinking something along the lines of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWe2ypTjxk8
12/8/11 5:04 AM
JIMMYNAKS
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Show them your post count on the HG. Guarantee you get the job.
Thank me later Phone Post
12/8/11 8:17 PM
Wutang
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends what you're interviewing for?
12/8/11 8:51 PM
JIMMYNAKS
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Pron wear a suit.

Your Birthday suit! Phone Post
12/9/11 2:16 PM
KUIndustries
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Always better to be over dressed than under dressed for an interview imo
12/10/11 5:51 AM
lat125
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

which bank and position? i work for american savings and did the interview in a polo and slacks.
12/10/11 4:46 PM
DevinS

its at BOH, in the trust department, entry level job

I'm a bit concerned about looking like an asshole whose shit don't stink to the other employees, but don't want to look like I'm not taking the interview seriously either...
12/10/11 8:02 PM
lat125

From seeing and talking to some BOH employees I think an aloha shirt and slacks would be best really. If I was interviewing for that job thats what I would do at least.
12/10/11 10:26 PM
DevinS

ok, thanks man. I get the same impression.
12/11/11 3:17 AM
lat125

no problem, good luck!
12/11/11 12:19 PM
TheRealMBN

has it happened? How'd it go? Phone Post
12/11/11 12:54 PM
FCTV808
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the suspense: killing us, it is.
12/12/11 1:41 PM
lat125

might be too late, but i asked a friend that works there and she concurred that aloha wear and slacks is best.

and i'm also waiting on results here so hope we get one update soon.
12/12/11 2:51 PM
DevinS

heh, thanks for the interest guys. Just got back. It went ok, but not as well as I had hoped. I botched a couple of questions, and kind of got the impression that they were trying to let me down lightly (i.e. "we're not sure the position will be available, have to see what management decides first" and "I hope if this position doesn't open up that you'll be able to find something in another department at our bank.") I did my best though. The woman I interviewed with was very nice. The bank seems like a happy place.

Its kind of a tough spot I've put myself in. I spent about a year of my life traveling after college, and another year and a half since then doing somewhat unremarkable work at a law firm. My experience isn't very strong for a guy my age. What can you do though? Gotta keep chipping away at it.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll let you know what I hear.
12/12/11 2:54 PM
Magnum TA

Why not stick with the legal stuff? Phone Post
12/12/11 3:04 PM
DevinS

Don't want to go to law school, and my current job/skills don't lead to anything. My dad's a lawyer so I have a pretty good idea of what its like in and out of the workplace. Respect the profession, but its just not for me.
12/12/11 3:11 PM
Magnum TA

That's understandable. Phone Post
12/12/11 3:57 PM
lat125

if it makes you feel better my resume looked like shit cus of traveling/school/hopping between jobs also. spent a year in Japan after college, went Seattle for masters, spent a year in Korea, then came home.

i can't promise anything but if you see something at ASB you might wanna do PM me your info and apply online. plus if you get hired we get a referral bonus so i can split that with you.
12/13/11 3:25 PM
DevinS

Thanks lat, that's a kind offer. I'll send you a PM if I see anything I might qualify for. BTW, what were you doing in Japan and Korea? Teaching English?
12/13/11 11:45 PM
lat125

no problem. my friend at BOH also recommended their Commercial Credit Group if you're qualified/interested since they hire often.

taught english in both countries, great experiences and i'd recommend either program to anyone. although i think they're ending the program i went to Japan with.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.