UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Torres takes responsibily for twitter firing

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/9/11 3:25 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1405 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Yesterday former UFC bantamweight Miguel Torres was released from the promotion for a rape-related tweet. He now vows to use the opportunity to improve.

“I have a lot to be thankful for in my life, I have my beautiful wife and daughter, my family, my health, my gym, and in terms of my career, I succeeded to the biggest stage in the sport of mixed martial arts, the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

"I am very sorry for upsetting my bosses at the UFC, and also to my fans and everyone else who was upset by the language in my tweets. I understand it was wrong, and I meant no harm or disrespect.

"Given the chance, I will do whatever it takes to make things right. I am going to learn from this. I think life throws you opportunities that can make you a better person, and so that’s what I’m going to do here. That is how I am going to react. I am going to use this to improve myself, and I hope that my fans will continue to support me.”

Read entire statement...

The firing came after Torres posted the following on his twitter account. "If a rape van was called a surprise van more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them." He later removed the tweet above, and replaced it with "If a windowless van was called a surprise van more people wouldn't mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises."

The original tweet had already been mentioned by SI.com.

"There's no explanation for that," UFC PresidentWhite told SI.com. "There's absolutely nothing I could say to make any sense of that. And the fact that he even thinks that's funny or that's a joke, it disturbs me. It bothers me.

"Again, you're dealing with a guy [who's] a smart guy, that owns his own business, that's been one of the top fighters in the world forever. And I cut him today. He's no longer with the UFC."

Torres' firing comes after both Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans were taken to task for innappropriate jests related to rape. Griffin referred to rape as "the new missionary" in commenting on the crime's prevalence in the media. And Evans told Pen State alum Phil Davis he was going to put his hands on him worse than Jerry Sandusky.

Torres told HeavyMMA's Matt Erickson that the quote was a reference to a line from the FX sitcom "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Episode No. 2, Season 4, titled "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis" takes place largely in a van with tinted windows that the characters repeatedly refer to as a "rape van."

While Torres can be edgy on Twitter, he has worked tirelessly with underprivileged children, and is known widely to be a decent, caring, and honest human being. The twitter post shows an unfathomable lack of judgement for an athlete in the public eye, all the more so given that MMA remains controversial to a degree. Emphaticaly however, the tweet was not a reflection of Torres'  character generally.

12/9/11 3:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ClinchedUp
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

His response was as expected and Im more then positive he will make a return to the UFC. Phone Post
12/9/11 3:30 PM
BispingStolemySN
269 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Only smart response.
12/9/11 3:30 PM
holly9000
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

only this time he'll have to buy a ticket like the rest of us comedians
12/9/11 3:33 PM
CajunPest
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My $ says that was written by UFC attorney's. He will come back an there will be some formal rules set and disciplinary action as well Phone Post
12/9/11 3:34 PM
lildragonof
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Phone Post
12/9/11 3:36 PM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You don't need to apologise Miguel. Dana needs to apologise for his crock of shit calls. Lorenzo needs to get another guy in to work with Dana because the stress is evidently getting to him. As a fan of the sport I don't want it represented by a load mouth bald headed man with godfather syndrome.
12/9/11 3:37 PM
Humphrey

MentaL -    You don't need to apologise Miguel. Dana needs to apologise for his crock of shit calls. Lorenzo needs to get another guy in to work with Dana because the stress is evidently getting to him. As a fan of the sport I don't want it represented by a load mouth bald headed man with godfather syndrome.

thankfully Torres has a bit more intelligence than that and he's done the right thing.

excellent job Torres. very nice.
12/9/11 3:38 PM
Humphrey

CajunPest - My $ says that was written by UFC attorney's. He will come back an there will be some formal rules set and disciplinary action as well Phone Post

you could be right. whatever the case they're finally handling shit like this the right way.
12/9/11 3:39 PM
Official Chambermaid of the UKTT
70 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MentaL -    You don't need to apologise Miguel. Dana needs to apologise for his crock of shit calls. Lorenzo needs to get another guy in to work with Dana because the stress is evidently getting to him. As a fan of the sport I don't want it represented by a load mouth bald headed man with godfather syndrome.

do you really think Dana made that decision on his own?  you are a joke.  blinded by hate
12/9/11 3:42 PM
Crooklyn
904 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TapouT Radio, Crooklyn's Corner
warheart209 - blah blah blah damage control blah blah.

Would you prefer he did nothing?? At least he's taking steps to rectify his mistake.

12/9/11 3:43 PM
Kaerki
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt
Give the kid a break. Phone Post
12/9/11 3:44 PM
Fillthy
198 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there had been a lot of conversations regarding Torres being overpaid for his drawing power, and Dana jumped at the chance to cut him with the possibility of bringing him back later under a new contract.
12/9/11 3:45 PM
Garv
399 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheGARV.com, MMA Serious Business
Perfect response.
12/9/11 3:45 PM
Hikikomori
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interesting fact in all this is both Rashad and Miguel are represented by Glenn Rice. Phone Post
12/9/11 3:46 PM
Kirik
2325 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
 Torres is an awesome guy. The tweet was obviously a huge, huge mistake, but it does not reflect who he is, at all.

A tv comedy about rape van I don't know about though.
12/9/11 3:48 PM
MentaL
528 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Humphrey - 

thankfully Torres has a bit more intelligence than that and he's done the right thing.

excellent job Torres. very nice.

I understand why Torres released the statement. From a professionalism standpoint it is indeed a very classy thing he did and I never expected less from him but ultimately though by all of Danas abrupt comments, temper tantrums and more it's just my outside opinion and observation.

12/9/11 3:50 PM
Ironclad

Wise approach by Torres. Imho, it's best to be contrite, just keep on fighting, and he can find his way back in the UFC sooner rather than later.

It's done now and it behooves him to not dispute the UFC's decision. I'm sorry it had to happen this way and to such a great fighter but I think we'll see him back in the UFC again.
12/9/11 3:52 PM
sgotwalks
2212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/11 3:55 PM
Why have they not drawn up an official UFC Constitution which outlines the kind of behavior a fighter is expected to model while under contract by the UFC? All fighters should be required to read and understand this document upon signing their contract with a promise to obide by a certain code of ethics both in and away from the sport as representatives of the organization. The NFL has a personal conduct policy which all players are expected to obide by at all times and it is implemented with great effect.

When a fighter acts out of order or says something stupid there should be an official inquiry before any hasty decisions are made on a suitable punishment for the offense, providing one is even warranted. An investigation into the circumstances of the offense could determine whether there was reckless or malicious intent, or whether it was something as simple as quoting a television show in a ill timed attempt at humor before they make a decision that could drastically effect a fighters future.

If the UFC wants to be perceived as a professional sports organization on the same level as the others major sports organizations, it needs to renovate it's own house to better represent one before it can be taken seriously. Having one hot headed president acting and reacting in the heat of the moment without collecting all the facts, or allowing enough time for due process to run it's course is no longer acceptable. 

edit: yes I pasted this from a thread I attempted that sunk like the Edmund Fitzgerald.....in case you are the one guy who might recognize the post.
12/9/11 3:53 PM
155 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do I have a feeling the deal with Fox is going to change Dana White and the UFC a lot. I do not condone rape, or anything close to it, but clearly the guy was joking. People have said and done MUCH worse and didn't lose their job. I wonder how Rampage would be treated NOW if he had his incident with police, or when Tito got arrested, etc. This just is not consistant with actions the UFC has taken in the past for much worse.
12/9/11 3:53 PM
dabigchet

great guy, classy quote. doesn't change the fact that dana is a huge hypocrite on this.
12/9/11 3:54 PM
BrockbackMountain
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/09/11 3:53 PM
BRING HIM BACK DANA!

I am usually a big BLAF supporter but to derail a career because of a bad tweet is too far.

The only person who should be perma-banned from the UFC for their behavior is Paul Daley.
12/9/11 3:57 PM
ShanTheMan
1111 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Daley is in the 'maybe' pile, Miguel should have his job back next week
12/9/11 3:57 PM
stevekt
829 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Instead of telling him he's been "fired" they should just tell him he's been put on "permanent vacation". Everyone loves vacation. Phone Post
12/9/11 3:59 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
1453 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HOW DARE A PUBLIC FIGURE HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!!

BUNCHA SENSITIVE PUSSIES LOL

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.