UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> DFW defends Torres twitter firing

12/11/11 9:45 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

The UFC has embraced twitter like no other sport's franchise, offering over a quarter million dollars in bonuses to boost adoption of the technology. Among the more compelling, sometimes strange tweets were those from Banatamweight Miguel Torres.

Last week Torres posted the following on his twitter account. "If a rape van was called a surprise van more women wouldn't mind going for rides in them." He later removed the tweet above, and replaced it with "If a windowless van was called a surprise van more people wouldn't mind going for rides in them. Everyone likes surprises."

"There's no explanation for that," said White in response. "There's absolutely nothing I could say to make any sense of that. And the fact that he even thinks that's funny or that's a joke, it disturbs me. It bothers me.

"Again, you're dealing with a guy (who's) a smart guy, that owns his own business, that's been one of the top fighters in the world forever. And I cut him today. He's no longer with the UFC."

Torres' firing comes after both Forrest Griffin and Rashad Evans were taken to task for innappropriate jests related to rape. Griffin referred to rape as "the new missionary" in commenting on the crime's prevalence in the media. And Evans told Pen State alum Phil Davis he was going to put his hands on him worse than Jerry Sandusky, who has been charged with rape of a child.

Torres told HeavyMMA's Matt Erickson that the tweet was a reference to a line from the FX sitcom "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia." Episode No. 2, Season 4, titled "The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis" takes place largely in a van with tinted windows that the characters repeatedly refer to as a "rape van."

Torres has worked tirelessly with underprivileged children, and is known respected in MMA as a decent and caring man. While the twitter post plainly shows an unfathomable lack of judgement for an athlete in the public eye, no one thought the tweet was an accurate reflection of Torres'  character generally.

However, at the UFC 140 post fight press  con, White did not budge on the firing.

"You can agree or disagree with me, and if you want to see if anybody disagrees with me, go on my Twitter," White told MMAjunkie.com. "I've been getting my head kicked in for two days on Twitter. But the bottom line is nobody has any business making jokes about rape. We're in the fight business."

"I'm a pretty fair guy. I've been a very fair guy through all kinds of crazy stuff. If you can't explain yourself, if you can't give me an explanation on why you did something? There's no explanation for that."

"You didn't see Miguel Torres come out – all the fans were behind him, and I love it. I love that all the fans were supporting him and everything else. It's cool. I like to see that, but you didn't see him come out with his explanation on why he said it. There is no explanation for it. And tweets like, 'Your mouth says no, but my roofies say yes,' I don't think that's funny, either – at all. It's not funny to me. Agree with me or disagree with me, it is what it is. I make those decisions, and that's what I chose to do."

"Let me tell you what – you want to see consistency, let's see if anybody does that again. Let's see if anybody does it again. I double dare you. I double dare you to send another tweet like that again.

"It is what it is. It's unfortunate. He's a good guy. But it made no sense. It came out of left field. 'It was from a TV show.' I don't give a s---. This isn't a TV show. This is a sport. And the thing is about sending things like that out on Twitter, it's not like you have some forum to explain yourself and to discuss what you meant. There's 100-and-something characters, you know what I mean?

"It's bad news, and it is what it is. People can agree with me or disagree with me. I don't care what anybody thinks. I don't care. It is what it is. It won't happen again."

"I think it's pretty clear," White said of how fighters should proceed going forward?. "We're dealing with smart guys. Let common sense prevail."

Read entire article...

12/11/11 10:07 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
armbarring
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fuck dana
12/11/11 10:11 AM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DFW tries to justify impetuous Torres twitter firing

Fixed
12/11/11 10:16 AM
BLACK and BLUE Comic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMA Comic Book, Creator
 I think Miguel will be back after awhile. Dana can't get punked by the fans so he has to let it ride for a bit.
12/11/11 10:20 AM
Genesis
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Surprised with Dana doing this.... Especially looking at who he let walk out with Mir last night.
12/11/11 10:20 AM
Neil Funk

Dana White: classic little man complex. "I dare you to do that shit again"

yeah yeah little guy, we know you're the boss. 

You lost $49.95 last night at least from one fight fan over here because of the dickheaded way you handle your business. 

12/11/11 10:22 AM
rundymc

I guess it is what it is.
12/11/11 10:28 AM
ChaosOverkill
739 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Genesis - Surprised with Dana doing this.... Especially looking at who he let walk out with Mir last night.

I missed this who did he walk out with?

And was there some sort of Rant on the PPV last night?

SOme radio host made mention that it was disturbing to say the least, I missed the event so can someone clue me in?

And Dana is still a hypocrite for not at least fining Rashad
12/11/11 10:28 AM
epwar
539 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"You can agree or disagree with me, and if you want to see if anybody disagrees with me, go on my Twitter," White told MMAjunkie.com. "I've been getting my head kicked in for two days on Twitter. But the bottom line is nobody has any business making jokes about rape. We're in the fight business."

Unless you are Forrest or Rashad.  How Dana can say this stuff with a straight face is frightening.

12/11/11 10:30 AM
lifeaftrprison
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So why the hell was an actual rapist allowed to corner a fighter ? Hypocrite Phone Post
12/11/11 10:33 AM
Hired Gun
644 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He knows he over reacted and is trying to figure out how to save face. Mark my words here in a few months there will be some bullshit press release from Zuffa saying "Torres has seen the errors of his ways and we are glad he's back.
antoniomontana
270 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow
SteveBeale
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Neil Funk -  Dana White: classic little man complex. "I dare you to do that shit again"

You lost $49.95 last night at least from one fight fan over here because of the dickheaded way you handle your business. 

<br type="_moz" />

5'11" and 215lbs is a little man? Little enough to have a complex?

They must breed 'em big round your way.
12/11/11 10:34 AM
Genesis
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mir came out with Mike Whitehead...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/sep/12/mma-fighter-fighter-michael-whitehead-makes-no-con/

12/11/11 10:41 AM
Neil Funk

SteveBeale - 
Neil Funk -  Dana White: classic little man complex. "I dare you to do that shit again"

<br type="_moz" />

5'11" and 215lbs is a little man? Little enough to have a complex?

They must breed 'em big round your way.
Compared to guys who are 5'11, 205 who could fuck him up with the greatest of ease, yeah he's a little guy.

Hell, he's getting worked by 100% of the UFC/Strikeforce roster. I'd say that qualifies as a little man complex when you sit there and run your mouth about fighters like that, if you want to be all literal and miss the point that's on you
12/11/11 10:42 AM
ChaosOverkill
739 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Genesis - Mir came out with Mike Whitehead...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2011/sep/12/mma-fighter-fighter-michael-whitehead-makes-no-con/

thanks dude.

DO you know what this rant I heard about is?
12/11/11 10:42 AM
epwar

Genesis - Mir came out with Mike Whitehead...

It's not like Whitehead actually did a Tweet about rape. :-(

12/11/11 10:44 AM
robbie380
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It really disturbs me that Dana would call a woman a cunt and not apologize. 

Dana "cunty faggot" White
12/11/11 10:59 AM
xtrordinaire

Edited: 12/11/11 11:02 AM
<blockquote>Neil Funk -  Dana White: classic little man complex. "I dare you to do that shit again"<br /><br />yeah yeah little guy, we know you're the boss. <br /><br />You lost $49.95 last night at least from one fight fan over here because of the dickheaded way you handle your business. <br /><br /><br type="_moz" /></blockquote><br /><br />same here, i wont be paying to see these fights anymore. fuck dana! hes a fucking prick. <br /><br />boycott ufc. watch the fights for free

i never really had an problem with dana but one thing i cant stand is unfair treatment. if your going to discipline one fighter for whatever reason u should discipline all fighters the same not just because they are bigger names in the ufc.
12/11/11 11:01 AM
sarcotraps

If torres was the champion i guarantee you he would still be on the roster.
12/11/11 11:13 AM
Samoanpowr
590 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So Torres tweets generically about a "rape van" (which is referencing a fucking comedy) and gets fired.  Forrest does basically the same thing; he keeps his job.  Rashad jokes about an ACTUAL rapist of little boys and he keeps his job?!?

12/11/11 11:26 AM
epwar

Samoanpowr - So Torres tweets generically about a "rape van" (which is referencing a fucking comedy) and gets fired.  Forrest does basically the same thing; he keeps his job.  Rashad jokes about an ACTUAL rapist of little boys and he keeps his job?!?
Welcome to the world of Double Standard Dana!  Even worse, Rashad's comment was on a much bigger stage in front of tons of journalists to promote the second FOX show.

12/11/11 11:31 AM
fna

epwar - 
Samoanpowr - So Torres tweets generically about a "rape van" (which is referencing a fucking comedy) and gets fired.  Forrest does basically the same thing; he keeps his job.  Rashad jokes about an ACTUAL rapist of little boys and he keeps his job?!?
Welcome to the world of Double Standard Dana!  Even worse, Rashad's comment was on a much bigger stage in front of tons of journalists to promote the second FOX show.

dont forget the video footage of dana laughing at rashad's pedo joke.
earlier this morning dana blasted some guy on twitter who said rashad's 'tweet' was worse by replying that it wasnt a tweet and that guy was a dumbass...so i replied to BLAF on that and actually got a reply

@danawhite as long as it nots a tweet right? joking about pedo is ok as long as its a press conference and you laugh? stay classy UFC
1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete
in reply to ?

@danawhite
Dana White
@aharm82 no I'm laughing at u clowns that just want something to tweet about even tho u have no clue what ur talkin about dickhead.

12/11/11 11:35 AM
Genesis

^ Amazing intelligence from Dana there.

God forbid he ever admits a mistake (Dana runs of to prove that he admitted a mistake once to prove he is still right....)
12/11/11 11:38 AM
fna

fna - 
epwar - 

dont forget the video footage of dana laughing at rashad's pedo joke.
earlier this morning dana blasted some guy on twitter who said rashad's 'tweet' was worse by replying that it wasnt a tweet and that guy was a dumbass...so i replied to BLAF on that and actually got a reply

@danawhite as long as it nots a tweet right? joking about pedo is ok as long as its a press conference and you laugh? stay classy UFC
1 hour ago Favorite Reply Delete
in reply to ?

@danawhite
Dana White
@aharm82 no I'm laughing at u clowns that just want something to tweet about even tho u have no clue what ur talkin about dickhead.

after telling me i have no clue what im talking about(despite video evidence existing of exactly what i mentioned) he shot me another reply

danawhite Dana White
@aharm82 there is ur classy!

i replied with the link of dana 2 ft away from rashad laughing at the pedo joke
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PrtGLIBNTE
but got nothing after that

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.