UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Top 10 favorite Judo gi and why?

12/12/11 2:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
mmanthebay
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are your favorite gi and why? who makes the best overall quality gi? Phone Post
12/13/11 9:01 AM
Seong gyeong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is my competition gi:

http://www.moosoolsausa.com/premium-functional-judo-dobok-approved-by-jd-federation.html

I have 2 other gis--blue and white--that I wear for regular practice that are from the same company.

http://www.moosoolsausa.com/judo-practice-dobok-a-blue.html
http://www.moosoolsausa.com/judo-practice-dobok-a-white.html

I'm satisfied with all of these. I train fairly regularly and reasonably hard, and so far they've all held up well.

Btw, what gi is Sobirov wearing? Swain?

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05lN8oM0hdfzJ/x610.jpg

All the instructors at my old dojo wore Mizuno gis that looked really nice. However, I've never worn one, nor would I ever pay the high price for a "Yawara" gi.

I do admit, though, that I'm curious to see how a Euro comp feels, since I hear it's very difficult for opponent's to choke you in, and I am somewhat susceptible to gi lapel chokes.

Speaking of expensive gis, this is the one Iliadis basically did a commercial for:

http://www.fightingfilms.com/top/online_shop/kits/superstar.html

Umm, actually, just checked the exchange rate....$187, not quite as high as I expected. Looks nice.

12/13/11 9:17 AM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a white and blue gi called the Mizuno Shai Comp #801 taht I wear for training, no more competitions for me. Would like to try the new Yusho 2 or the gi Iliadis and many other top judokas wear by Fighting Films( 2 red "F"s on the shoulder one is backwards called the superstar. At the Nationals vendors are selling gi(s) and other judo stuff is where I check out what is new. Haven't seen a vendor for FF gi's there yet. Intersted what top judokas wear. US team? A lot of the younger club guys wear Addidas. Some Fuji. Others Muzuno.
12/14/11 8:42 AM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have two older Mizuno Ichiban gis. They hold up well but I don't like the pants always falling down. I just ordered a custom Toraki out of Canada. I can't say enough about the customer service of this company. I like the GI so far and trying to get it broken in.
12/14/11 8:51 AM
mmanthebay
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Outkaster - I have two older Mizuno Ichiban gis. They hold up well but I don't like the pants always falling down. I just ordered a custom Toraki out of Canada. I can't say enough about the customer service of this company. I like the GI so far and trying to get it broken in.
keep us updated on this gi. Phone Post
12/14/11 3:38 PM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well it feels a little more supple than the Double-weave Mizuno, almost a little lighter but it is strong and fits well. I had to return it the first time because I got a size to small. Yvonne over at Toraki was more than helpful and really knew what to suggest in a jacket. They are not made in Japan, or at least mine isn’t so I am not sure if that is an issue for most Judoka? The quality is very nice and the pants are a tad slimmer than my Ichiban ( no longer produced by the way) I think it was $169.00. I may order a blue GI also.
12/15/11 1:03 AM
Punk Dobbs
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've had a Toraki Gold weave for over a decade now and it's still going strong. I also have a ton of gis so it doesn't get constant use. Toraki makes very good gis.
12/15/11 12:49 PM
jayflo145
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1) Yawara by Mizuno (made in Japan is a bit better than one sold outside of Nippon)
2) (A VERY close second) Ku'S'akura double = softest gi on the market, good for judoka who don't like grip fighting (ME!)
3) Moskito. Is like a shield of protective fabric between you and your opponent.
4) Everything else......
12/16/11 6:34 AM
rebelyell
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love my adidas comp gi! I've had it for 2years and it still like new. I wear it once a week for practice and for every comp I go to
12/21/11 7:53 PM
mmanthebay

How about Fushida Icon, Tournament, and prestige models? Phone Post
12/21/11 9:07 PM
Seong gyeong
21 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Incidentally, I've dabbled in other martial arts, and I had a habit of buying expensive equipment when I was just a beginner.

I showed up to my first muay Thai class with brand new Fairtex gloves, trunks, and shin guards. Only trained a few months. Each of those are now collecting dust. Should have gone with cheaper stuff. Looked stupid out there getting my ass kicked!

Now I only do judo. Promised myself I'd never spend a lot of money on a gi until/unless I achieved 3rd dan or higher. All through white I wore only the $50 generic gis sold by my dojo.

12/22/11 11:59 AM
Outkaster

Yes but cheap gi’s are not worth it if you are going to study long term. Get a couple decent ones that you can rotate. I see a lot of cheap GI’s rip in class.
12/22/11 12:07 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mizuno Kano.
12/22/11 8:17 PM
Seong gyeong

Outkaster - Yes but cheap gi’s are not worth it if you are going to study long term. Get a couple decent ones that you can rotate. I see a lot of cheap GI’s rip in class.

I agree. As a white belt, I didn't know if I would stick it out. I actually quit for 6 months until one of the senseis from the dojo called me up and convinced me to come back.

Now I would not settle for a poor quality gi.
12/23/11 9:27 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

kusakura taisho.

i stopped buying mizuno because the kusakura is just as good and a lot cheaper.
12/23/11 9:38 PM
Seong gyeong

easyrhino - kusakura taisho.

i stopped buying mizuno because the kusakura is just as good and a lot cheaper.

I didn't even know about Kusakura, but they look good. Also, same as what Sobirov is wearing in the pic. Now I know. Thanks.
12/26/11 5:29 AM
Seong gyeong

Looked up Kusakura and found this old thread. A single gi costing ¥105,000? Holy shit! And I thought the Yawara was expensive.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/16822-considering-getting-a-kusakura-as-my-next-go
2/6/12 2:41 PM
mmanthebay

Seong gyeong - Looked up Kusakura and found this old thread. A single gi costing ¥105,000? Holy shit! And I thought the Yawara was expensive.

http://judoforum.com/index.php?/topic/16822-considering-getting-a-kusakura-as-my-next-go
Any US distributors? Phone Post
2/6/12 3:45 PM
FOX Force Five
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like the Addidas Gis.

I have 2 and prefer the lighter weight one.
2/7/12 8:05 AM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seong gyeong - Looked up Kusakura and found this old thread. A single gi costing ¥105,000? Holy shit! And I thought the Yawara was expensive.

unfortunately, this model isnt being produced anymore.
they ran out of the cotton that they were using.

the top of line kusakura now is the taisho. its cheaper than a mizuno yusho.

i think everyone should at least give the kusakura belt a look. its the coolest belt on the market if you ask me.....i wish my dojo would have asked me which one i wanted before giving me my belt.
2/7/12 9:32 PM
Seong gyeong

easyrhino - 
Seong gyeong - Looked up Kusakura and found this old thread. A single gi costing ¥105,000? Holy shit! And I thought the Yawara was expensive.

unfortunately, this model isnt being produced anymore.
they ran out of the cotton that they were using.

the top of line kusakura now is the taisho. its cheaper than a mizuno yusho.

i think everyone should at least give the kusakura belt a look. its the coolest belt on the market if you ask me.....i wish my dojo would have asked me which one i wanted before giving me my belt.

Double. I got my black belt awarded to me (made a thread about it on here) and there were two main things I didn't like:

I. Way too long.
II. Cheaply made. (I checked the price online and it was around $6 or something)

I might just go and order a Kusakura belt to replace it. They do like nice.

Thanks for the info about that gi not being produced anymore. Whoever happens to have one must feel special.
2/8/12 8:04 AM
Outkaster

After wearing the Toraki for awhile now I love it.
2/9/12 1:20 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just give me a gi. ill fight in it.

the gi doesnt make a difference.
2/9/12 4:57 PM
dynamo
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love my Waldorf-Astoria Gi. Big Ball Room.
2/10/12 10:18 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know that in my Waldorf-Astoria I feel rather lost and insignificant.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.