UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> Top 10 favorite Judo gi and why?

2/18/12 8:54 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
manzuri
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have an addidas gi that I got from budomart. Still a novice so I only bought a single weave but its holding up pretty well. Phone Post
1/10/14 12:35 PM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well now that two of my white GI's are illegal I may go with the Kusakura .
1/11/14 6:53 PM
judoblackbelt
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let us know where you order it from and how it works out. My white mizuno Shia comp is getting kind of ragged and needs to be replaced.
1/13/14 10:07 AM
Outkaster
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt I will. There I was on the size chart and they have a calculator but it had a hard time finding a size. A guy at the company, Brent e-mailed me back and said they are particularly paying attention because of the rule changes. They want to try to get the right size so they will contact the factory if you send measurements. Kind of like Toraki does. They are expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for. I have three GI’s and two white Eurocomps are illegal except my blue one. I want to do some masters competitions this year.
4/19/14 5:04 PM
Outkaster

I forgot about this thread but I did not Kusakura. I ended up seliing it. I felt naked with it and a lot of the guys in close thought it was very light. They have a more expensive version but I am going to go back to Mizuno.
4/19/14 6:55 PM
Playing
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find Mizuno gis have sleeves that are too short for me. Which brings up a question. Does any one know why Gi manufactures don't make an equivalent gi without hemmed sleeves? The idea would be we could hem them at the correct length after a few washes?
4/20/14 8:04 PM
Outkaster

That's what happens to mine but overall they fit better. The manufactures are stuck now with overstock because of the sleeve rule change and it's causing some problems.
4/22/14 3:40 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I currently have 2 Judo Start gi's that I have been wearing for about 7 years now. Love them. For the price you cannot go wrong.

I've had, and liked, Adidas, PRO-Specs/Activ, SFJAM Noris, Mizuno and Toraki (their custom gi is the best made, period!).

The KuSakura is too light weight of a gi for me. Always was, but I can totally see why some people like them. Great quality.

But... at my stage of Judo... Just give me a gi and I'll be good. I'm just happy to still be able to randori.
4/23/14 8:30 AM
Outkaster

Josh I had an interesting talk over at Hatashita. I am a fan of Mizuno GI’s but since the Ichiban and Europcomp models are out of production you can’t get the armour-lilke GI’s that a lot of guys came up through the ranks with. They just don’t make them and it sounds like the whole IJF rule change thing has made the manufactures scrambling. The KuSakura was too light weight of a gi for me also and I had high hopes but I knew as soon as I opened the package up it didn’t seem right, I expected something else. They are however great quality. I just bought a Shia Comp which is not bad from Mizuno. It’s sturdy with a shorter skirt than the Yusho Comp series. Most of the guys in the club thought it was older or pre-washed because it seemed soft. I don’t like the way the Toraki fit that well. If the Ichiban line ever came back though I would use that. Do you think the IJF is bullying the manufactuers??
4/23/14 8:26 PM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not sure which kusakura you guys are referring to.

i have a mizuno yusho and a kusakura taisho in my car at this very moment and the taisho is one of the heaviest gis on the market imo...you must have cut corners and bought a cheap one....
4/24/14 12:54 PM
Outkaster

Not at all.There is no way a Kausakura is like an old Ichiban.
4/24/14 12:55 PM
Outkaster

Not at all.There is no way a Kasakura is like an old Ichiban.
4/24/14 7:24 PM
easyrhino
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oh true....not many gi's are as heavy and corse as an ichiban.
forgot about those.
6/10/14 7:14 AM
ECM
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. Gorilla Fightgear Kong Judogi. Bought 3 when they were on clearance for $90. Best gi I've ever worn by a longshot and that's compared to toraki, mizuno yawara etc. similar cut to a eurocomp but stupidly heavy at 1050gsm

2. Mizuno Shiai

3. Fuji basic model Phone Post 3.0
6/11/14 8:55 AM
Outkaster

Never had Fuji gear. A lot of new guys wear their single weave models in class.
6/16/14 11:59 AM
Playing
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ECM - 1. Gorilla Fightgear Kong Judogi. Bought 3 when they were on clearance for $90. Best gi I've ever worn by a longshot and that's compared to toraki, mizuno yawara etc. similar cut to a eurocomp but stupidly heavy at 1050gsm

2. Mizuno Shiai

Your right about Gorilla Fight Gear. It is definitely the best gi on market. I don't think I will ever need to buy another gi again ..... these gis will last 30 years :-)
6/17/14 7:20 PM
ECM
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Playing -
ECM - 1. Gorilla Fightgear Kong Judogi. Bought 3 when they were on clearance for $90. Best gi I've ever worn by a longshot and that's compared to toraki, mizuno yawara etc. similar cut to a eurocomp but stupidly heavy at 1050gsm

2. Mizuno Shiai

Your right about Gorilla Fight Gear. It is definitely the best gi on market. I don't think I will ever need to buy another gi again ..... these gis will last 30 years :-)
Yep pretty sure the thing could stop a bullet :) Phone Post 3.0

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.