UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Surf War on the North Shore?

12/21/11 4:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Magnum TA
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Move along we have a scene to shoot!!! Phone Post
12/21/11 4:49 PM
FCTV808
211 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fucking fucks. i wanna kill these 5-0 fucks. 40cal shot from asshole to brains. then stab. thank you

Vets felt disrespected by Hawaii Five-0 crew
Reported by: Andrew Pereira
Email: apereira@khon2.com

UPDATE:

After CBS was bombarded with complaints, the executive producer of the remake of "Hawaii Five-0" apologized to a group of world war two veterans who were disrespected by the show's film crew.

The Pearl Harbor survivors had gathered at the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific on Friday, December 9, the same day the TV show was filming there.

The film crew showed little respect during the playing of the national anthem and taps, and rushed the veterans along while they placed roses on headstones.

Peter Lenkov, executive producer for the remake of the classic series released a statement saying, "Any rudeness by our staff can only be attributed to haste to finish our work, not a lack of respect for men and women who have served and sacrificed for their country. We sincerely apologize to any that were offended."

----------------------------

HONOLULU- A group of World War II veterans say they were taken aback by how a production crew with the hit TV show Hawaii Five-0 treated them during a visit to the National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific last Friday.

Timothy Davis, president and CEO of The Greatest Generations Foundation, says he was leading a ceremony for a group of twenty-four veterans when he clashed with the production crew.

"The whole staff at Hawaii Five-0, whether it be the directors or the support staff, were completely disrespectful to our survivors and those veterans," said Davis. The group of vets included twenty-three survivors of the December 7, 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.

Davis claims a majority of the Hawaii Five-0 crew continued to go about their business in plain sight of the veterans as both the national anthem and taps was played during a twenty minute ceremony.

"It really upset the veterans and as one veteran described to me, 'It's quite clear these guys don't understand what sacrifice is all about,'" said Davis.

News of the encounter between the aging vets and the Hawaii Five-0 crew has been gaining national attention after 850 KOA News Radio reporter Steffan Tubbs wrote about it on his Facebook page.

Tubbs is a board member of The Greatest Generations Foundation and attended the private ceremony at Punchbowl Cemetery on December 9.

"I just thought it was really disrespectful the way they were treated overall," Tubbs told Khon2. "I think the attitude that at least I received was we were in the way, that we were kind of a nuisance."

Tubbs says the worst part of the experience for the veterans was watching members of the Hawaii Five-0 production crew walking on headstones at the revered veterans' cemetery.

"With so many veterans around, you do not in my opinion, walk on top of the graves of people who gave their lives for this country all in the name of a Hollywood production," said Davis. "At this point somebody just needs to step up and say we're sorry."

A statement by CBS, which airs Hawaii Five-0 Monday evenings, said the network is looking into what transpired at the cemetery.

"We were surprised to hear this report and are looking into the matter," a CBS Television Studios spokesperson said in a statement. "Our veterans deserve the highest level of respect and reverence for their service, particularly during a ceremony honoring those who paid the ultimate sacrifice."

Gene Castagnetti, the cemetery's longtime director, said the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs approved the Hawaii Five-0 shoot ahead of time and no graves were dishonored. He says walking on a headstone is not considered an act of desecration if it's done with care.

"We don't operate in a vacuum," said Castagnetti. "We take great care when filming is done at the cemetery."

Castagnetti reviewed plans of the Hawaii Five-0 shoot beforehand and even approved what was going to be said by the show's characters. Although the cemetery does not require any payment to film on its grounds, Hawaii Five-O donated $1,000.

Ironically, the Hawaii Five-0 crew was at the cemetery to film a scene where actor Alex O'Loughlin, who plays the lead role of Steve McGarrett, is visiting the grave site of his deceased father.

Register to log on and leave a comment

Have a news tip? Contact Andrew Pereira at 368-7273. Follow Andrew on Twitter at Khon_Reporter or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewPereiraKhon2
12/21/11 7:58 PM
NorthSlopePipeNinja
112 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ That's fucking bullshit, I would've lost my mind on those T.V. tards Phone Post
12/30/11 5:05 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So is the whole Tj/Makua thing over with? Can i has my surf back from the country?
12/30/11 5:39 AM
Free Beer
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sufferingsuckatash - So is the whole Tj/Makua thing over with? Can i has my surf back from the country?

I didn't have any problems all season. Friends been surfing westside, no problems there either besides the beach closures due to shark sightings.
12/30/11 5:55 AM
Matt Phillips
621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forgot about this thread and took my son to the North Shore for the first time today. Made it back safe!

We were at Waimea Bay, my favorite beach in the whole wide world. :)

12/30/11 2:57 PM
JIMMYNAKS
169 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt, awesome QT with the kids. Priceless.

This reminds me I should take them out to places other than the gym and shooting range. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.