UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Go to law school 7 years after undergrad?

12/15/11 11:23 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Crush Crawfish
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you guys think?

I'm at the earliest of early planning stages right now; it's just an idea. I've got a bachelors in Economics from 2005, been working regular jobs since. But I really dig this stuff, IMO this is the most interesting subforum (I lurk here quite a bit.) Plus I dated a girl who was in law school, helped with her homework some and beat her on the LSAT (I had no intention of going to school at the time, I'm just an asshole and wanted to beat her at something).

Is it doable? I know it'd be a long road, but how hard would it be to get into a school somewhere with it being this long since I graduated? Thanks everybody.
12/15/11 2:34 PM
seg
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went to law school with several students who had been out of undergrad for about that amount of time, so it's doable.  However, the job market is shit right now and probably will still be so 3 years from now.
12/15/11 6:50 PM
Grappledog
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Being out of undergrad for a while is of no concern.  Most so-called nontraditional students are, not surprisingly, more mature and focused than their younger classmates.  What is of concern is that the fact that going to law school is generally a terrible idea now and for the foreseeable future, seeing as how the clear trend is towards more saturation of the job market and lower pay for more work.  Also, law school costs more all the time.  Plus, even if it works out for you and you manage to find a job, you may not like being a lawyer.  Job satisfaction is not very high for lawyers.
12/16/11 11:31 AM
Crush Crawfish
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So maybe my best bet for now is just to keep reading, keep myself entertained and informed, and then have a better base of knowledge if I decide to go later?
12/16/11 4:51 PM
Cookie Monster
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grappledog - Being out of undergrad for a while is of no concern.  Most so-called nontraditional students are, not surprisingly, more mature and focused than their younger classmates.  What is of concern is that the fact that going to law school is generally a terrible idea now and for the foreseeable future, seeing as how the clear trend is towards more saturation of the job market and lower pay for more work.  Also, law school costs more all the time.  Plus, even if it works out for you and you manage to find a job, you may not like being a lawyer.  Job satisfaction is not very high for lawyers.

this!
12/16/11 5:54 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I started law school 9 years after finishing undergrad, and just turned in my last exam today. Wisdom was certainly an advantage. My advice: don't go to law school unless you already have a job lined up or are awarded a full scholarship.
12/20/11 1:50 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I went exactly 7 years after, and it worked out ok. Easier for me to get in after the hiatus because I could explain my horrible gpa was just a result of my immaturity at the time. Suckers bought it and let me in based on LSAT.
12/28/11 10:59 PM
WikiTheWalrus
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Going to law school later in life is a benefit, imo. I think the law school experience (the learning experience) is appreciated much more by older students. FYI, when I worked in a placement office for a law school, the older students were on average hired more by OCI recruiting firms. The lone exception were JAGs, who looked for younger (under 30) students with a military background.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.