UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Gilbert Melendez, the last man standing

12/16/11 9:40 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1247 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Gilbert Melendez is in limbo. He’s been in limbo for so long, in fact, that limbo has become the status quo.

Melendez is the last man standing in Strikeforce, a promotion that seemed to be gasping for air just a few months ago, only to be resuscitated by Dana White and apparently given a new lease on life. His friend Nick Diaz dropped his Strikeforce welterweight title and scurried over to infamy and fortune in the UFC. Melendez was supposed to follow Diaz out the door, and White even told media earlier in the fall that he was working on getting Melendez over to the UFC as soon as possible.

And yet here sits Melendez, preparing to defend his Strikeforce lightweight title against Jorge Masvidal on Saturday night at the San Diego Sports Arena instead of beginning a training camp to face Frankie Edgar for the UFC lightweight title at the Saitama Super Arena in Japan. If Melendez is disheartened by this turn of events, he’s doing his best not to show it.

“My life is too short and my career is too short to be too bitchy about this situation. I’ve got some fights that I may have to honor in Strikeforce because I have a contract with them,” Melendez says. “If I need to stay there, I’m going to be sure and be happy with it and deal with it. But the goal is be the best in the world and it’s tougher to do that in Strikeforce.”

read entire article...

Related products from the UG Store

Metal Mulisha

Metal Mulisha Gilbert Melendez T-Shirt

$23.99

• Regular fit
  • 100% cotton crew neck short sleeve t-shirt
  • Only size large available

12/16/11 9:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Halloween
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He cannot win a fight in the ufc, strike force is great for him Phone Post
12/16/11 10:28 AM
iodio
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He can beat anybody in the ufc.
12/16/11 10:30 AM
Chris
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, COO
12/16/11 10:31 AM
Nuckin Futs
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Melendez is the last man standing in Strikeforce, a promotion that seemed to be gasping for air just a few months ago, only to be resuscitated by Dana White"

LOL@raiding all the top talent as being resuscitated.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.