UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Jens Pulver suffers devastating knee KO

12/17/11 9:26 AM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1295 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

I first noticed Jens Pulver in 2000 when he beat Phil Johns, a  pocket Igor Vov with more than 20 fights that a couple of the guys at my gym hoped to fight at some point. Then Jens put together some good wins and fought John Lewis, breaking Lewis's jaw not just horizontally, but vertically up towards the brain.

We heard that Pulver KOed a nationally ranked heavyweight boxer with one overhand right while sparring. A couple guys from the gym went and trained with him at Miletich's.

Then Jens Pulver entered history, fighting for the first ever UFC Lightweight title. He beat Caro Uno for the belt, defended against Dennis Hallman, and in one of just a handful of the best matches I ever saw live, he beat BJ Penn. Afterwards he took the mic and, in tears, thanked his father for beating the s--- out of him every day growing up. I cried along with him. I think everyone there did.

Manager Monte Cox said later he wished they had lasted longer, but negotiations didn't go well with the UFC, and Jens moved on. For the next few years he went 9-4 against generally strong competition worldwide.

He was brought back to the UFC where he went 0-2. The he moved down to the WEC where he went 1-5.

Now he is 3-3 against regional competition. Last night he suffered a devastating knockout in the second round.

Since Joe Lauzon knocked him out over five years ago, this is only his second loss via KO.

Stil, I am not a doctor, but it doesn't take a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing.

February 1st will mark Jens Pulver's fifteenth year in mixed martial arts. This is a dangerous sport. Because of the far wider skill set, and different training protocols, mixed martial artists do not sustain nearly the head trauma that boxers do. But there is head trauma.

Pugilistica Dementia does not just bring down old prizefighters. It has been diagnosed in football players, rugby players, hockey players, soccer players, and pro wrestlers. The contributing effects of drug or alcohol use are unknown and, oddly, almost entirely unexamined, and Jens has led a clean life, but at some point for many athletes head trauma accumulates, and it is not reversible.

Pulver does not look bad, at all. While his speed has declined noticably, his head movement, set ups, footwork, etc are all impressive. But he is losing a lot. And at this stage in his career, it is unlikely he gets a lot better.

Pulver survived a horrific childhood. Like many people in the sport, becoming a mixed martial artist aided him in his recovery from that. It would be a tragedy if that same sport brought him down decades later.

As a Jens Pulver fan for over now so many years, this is a respectful call for the man to sit down with his coaches, family, doctors, management, God, and with himself, and decide what is right.

Pulver reflects, via twitter.

Sorry to all who support me, I half assed the training and got wrecked deservedly so.
Sorry to my team @TeamCurranMMA

@investigatormcL Why would you half ass the training?

never claimed to be perfect

@JLDavis170 r u alright?

Yeah i am good just got beat up is all i will live

@MMASun please retire... You've got nothing left to prove

I know i dont i just enjoy it.

--

Jens Pulver vs. Timothy Elliot
Headlining bout
Resurrection Fighting Alliance 1
Kearney, Nebraska
12/16/2011      

(KO at 2:25 mark)

12/17/11 9:28 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
KampHitMyMannHole
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damnit! Congrats to Elliot though, he has a win over a great fighter Phone Post
12/17/11 9:30 AM
Darth Ryase
1432 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sometimes when we ask fighters to stop fighting, it's because we care about them. I don't like the "they can do whatever they want" attitude. It doesn't do anyone good in the long run.
12/17/11 9:31 AM
jjj2121
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well written piece, watching that vid made me sad.
12/17/11 9:33 AM
Kirik
2055 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
jjj2121 - Well written piece, watching that vid made me sad.

Thanks.

Me too man.
12/17/11 9:34 AM
RJJH
105 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well that ruins my morning a bit.

Jens was awesome. time to hang them up friend
12/17/11 9:37 AM
Anarkis
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's hard to even watch that.
12/17/11 9:38 AM
Elbeezy1
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anarkis - It's hard to even watch that.
It certainly was.. What people surround him not to worry and tell him to stop? Phone Post
12/17/11 9:38 AM
Radio Raheem
1333 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great article Kirik. I really hope Jens hangs it up, I don't want to see that happen to him anymore. Phone Post
12/17/11 9:40 AM
mmavixen
1121 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't watch this.  Even though I don't know him personally, I've watched Jens for such a long time that I feel like I do.  It's like seeing my brother KO'ed...I can't.

Irespective of my viewpoint, thanks for the article and video.
12/17/11 9:42 AM
decasere

I hope he retires and somone gives him a job in the business, a class guy who gave his all for the support Phone Post
12/17/11 9:59 AM
snakes80

Mr. Pulver is one of the reasons I started watching this sport. His story is inspirational and he is a genuine man. A great ambassador for the sport. The man has influenced a lot of lives of people that he has never met. Whether he continues or hangs up his gloves, he has nothing but love, respect, and admiration from this fan.
12/17/11 10:03 AM
caliphornia

Edited: 12/17/11 10:05 AM
I love jens, sorry to see this happen to such a classy guy.
How come every time jens wins, people say "keep fighting jens, dont ever let anyone tell you when it's time to quit!"
And then when he loses, these same exact people say "jens, please hang them up"
You guys need to make up your mind. 
Jens, please hang them up. As you said in your post fight speech against faber 2, You cant keep doing this to me. It's too hard for me to watch anymore. Please. I can't take this anymore

12/17/11 10:12 AM
pandrews76

damn..

i've always been a Jens Pulver fan..
12/17/11 10:15 AM
Druskee27
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lil Eagle
12/17/11 10:15 AM
Blazing Knees

He looked slow and had no defense at all. I don't think the knee kcoked him out, just finished him. The left on the jaw did it, just delayed.

Time to retire Chuck style
12/17/11 10:19 AM
sevenwithcheese

"I know the fans out there, retire, retire, retire. The only thing I ever wanna say about that is, you don't die for me, I die alone. At the end of the day, we die alone. I'm not gonna hang my head. I'm not gonna be 67 sitting in the god dang chair going, I wish I, could I have, maybe. I'll retire when I want to. It's just like the drugs, and the guns. Don't watch, don't do, if you don't like." -  Jens after his loss to Brian Davidson at TitanFC 18 on 5/27/11
12/17/11 10:20 AM
caposa
1848 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was a bad knockout. I think it's time Phone Post
12/17/11 10:26 AM
pennviachoke
1231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TRY for a true icon...Pulver will always be one of my favorites!! Phone Post
12/17/11 10:26 AM
pennviachoke
1231 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*TTT Phone Post
12/17/11 10:30 AM
surfing
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jens!
If you read this - I get it, it's none of my biz.......but you are a fan favorite and have had your time in the light. Please step back and make an impact on the up and comers as a coach, mentor and example.
Take care.
12/17/11 10:38 AM
Keith Palmer
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UFL - Palmer Sports, Owner
Combat sports can turn on you before you realize it. One minute you're using the sport to travel the world, making a good living, getting the attention of fans...the next minute the sport's using you. You're fighting in smaller shows in some up and comers hometown so he can take his turn being the guy that gets to use the sport.

What separates boxing and MMA from other sports is their ability to be ugly and beautiful, to jump back and forth between the two, and even be both at the same time. No other sport exposes its athletes to fans like combat sports does. You can't help but become emotionally attached to your favorite fighters.

Boxing's history is full of fighters who stayed too long, whether it's one fight too long or twenty. Sometimes a fighter's forced to fight because they need money and don't have other options, other times its because they have a day or a week in the gym where everything is clicking and they think the old version of themselves is back for good.

Jens Pulver's one of the all time greats in the sport, and from everything I've heard people say about him, a very good person. I hope he's in a position financially where he can leave the competing side of the sport if he desires. I'd love to see him become an MMA version of a Roger Mayweather, Buddy McGirt, or Freddie Roach. His experience in the fight game would serve some up and coming fighters very well.
12/17/11 10:46 AM
whoabro

Great thread. Best of luck to jens and his family Phone Post
12/17/11 10:53 AM
Zaph
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

surfing - Jens!
If you read this - I get it, it's none of my biz.......but you are a fan favorite and have had your time in the light. Please step back and make an impact on the up and comers as a coach, mentor and example.
Take care.
I would like to see him turn his efforts in that kind of direction as well. Phone Post
12/17/11 11:00 AM
Lanfear

Mix6APlix - Jens should stick with WoW at this point.

I was kinda thinking he must have been raiding hard in WoW when he said he half ass trained for this fight.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.