UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Gravity battery

12/18/11 11:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TEOMOFE
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted this to the OG but I probably should have posted it here. It seems like an interesting idea, but I'm curious about the inefficiencies in something like this.

http://www.gravitybattery.info/

Thoughts?
12/18/11 1:46 PM
MoreThanUFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/04/12 9:01 PM
Unless this was on a massive scale with a huge gear assembly, there is no way a slowly falling weight could spin any generator I know of fast enough to produce 12vdc to charge a battery bank.

I think it could be done, since electrical input is theoretically limitless, but it would be on a scale that isnt plausible for just a single dwelling.
12/19/11 10:16 AM
simthefarmer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not convinced
1/4/12 12:33 PM
johnnypayne
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Completely pointless design. Gravity batteries already exist, they're called pumped storage hydroelectric systems, some of them on a massive scale to turn the fluctuating power from wind turbines into usable grid power. When power is available the turbine acts as a pump storing the electricity as potential energy in the water, when you need power the water is released and the turbine acts as a generator, you can even get extra "free" power if you collect rainfall at the high potential energy storage point.

Trying to perform the same task with weights and pulleys is madness from a guy who'se seen one to many grandfather clocks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.