UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Florian anticipating another title run

12/18/11 12:54 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

Kenny Florian has fought for a UFC world title three times. Kenny Florian has lost those three times. But does it mean he should just pack it in and quit? Not if you ask him. Kenny Florian recently spoke with BleacherReport.com about his plans to rest, recover, and make a comeback to the UFC, with every intention of going back on a title run:

As Florian makes his transition back to the lightweight division, he still has one goal in mind: winning a UFC championship. Despite coming up short in all three title opportunities, Florian still feels he has what it takes to make another run towards UFC gold.

"I feel that I have all the skills to get it done," Florian said. "I've had different issues over the course of my career, but I'm capable of doing it. It's just going out there and getting it done. I have some injuries I'm going to let heal for the next two months. Once those things clear up, I'm looking forward to getting back on the race to the title."

However, when that title run begins is unknown as Florian is unsure of when his exact return date will be.

Florian is also unsure of whom he will face in his return to the Octagon in 2012.

"I really have no idea right now<" Florian said. "I'm hoping it would be a well-respected, top guy in the lightweight division. But, right now I don't have anyone in mind.

"I have a back injury that I'm letting heal up. As soon as that's cleared, I'll start talking to the UFC about possible opponents."

read entire article...

Related product from the UG Store

Punishment Athletics

Kenny Florian UFC 136 walkout shirt

$24.99-$30.99

• 100% cotton crew neck t-shirt
  • Regular Fit
  • A portion of proceeds will be donated to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation

12/18/11 12:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rucking Fetard
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He will never win a belt in the UFC sorry Kenflo but its not happening Phone Post
12/18/11 1:02 PM
doughboyunited

no way he is getting another shot. every time he has a big shot he blows it with crappy game plans.
12/18/11 1:03 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenny's always gonna be in the mix but I don't see him ever getting over that hump and going from an A guy to an A+ guy.
12/18/11 1:06 PM
erikmfx
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Aways the bridesmaid, never the bride.

12/18/11 1:15 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gotta hand it to Kenny, he's not a quitter. IMO, if he wants a title, he needs to get rid of his brother and go to a camp that can help him hone his skills to a finer edge.
12/18/11 1:17 PM
H Bomb

very disappointed kenny was left out of the 4man 125 tourney they are having.
12/18/11 1:17 PM
Chris Power
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bat21 -  Gotta hand it to Kenny, he's not a quitter. IMO, if he wants a title, he needs to get rid of his brother and go to a camp that can help him hone his skills to a finer edge.

Hasn't he trained at Sityodtong? Tri-star? Where's he supposed to go, one of the Black House affiliates?

Kenny's gotten as far as he has on his work-horse dedication and willingness to work with the best to hole up his weaknesses, but at the end of the day I just think he's more or less hit the ceiling on what his body can actually do in the cage.
12/18/11 1:19 PM
Northside Strangler
452 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/18/11 1:25 PM
PatsBarriesGotKongo

He'l be known as the "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan of the UFC. Always liked, never held a wwf title.
12/18/11 1:25 PM
PatsBarriesGotKongo

Ghost of That Feel - He should get a title shot in the upcoming 125 pound division at UFC: Auschwitz.

hahaha
12/18/11 1:26 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Chris Power - 
Bat21 -  Gotta hand it to Kenny, he's not a quitter. IMO, if he wants a title, he needs to get rid of his brother and go to a camp that can help him hone his skills to a finer edge.

Hasn't he trained at Sityodtong? Tri-star? Where's he supposed to go, one of the Black House affiliates?

Kenny's gotten as far as he has on his work-horse dedication and willingness to work with the best to hole up his weaknesses, but at the end of the day I just think he's more or less hit the ceiling on what his body can actually do in the cage.

I was thinking more of Holland, like Amir Sodallah did after his loss to Hendricks. When he came back after 6 months to fight Baroni, I was amazed at the improvements in his Muay-Thai, especially his leg-kicks.
12/18/11 1:27 PM
Chris Power

PatsBarriesGotKongo -  He'l be known as the "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan of the UFC. Always liked, never held a wwf title.

Hacksaw took home the first rumble at least. Sadly, Florian did not take home the first season of TUF.

Man, I'm starting to feel mean in this thread now. I'll stop posting.
12/18/11 1:29 PM
Carne de cavalo é o melhor
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PatsBarriesGotKongo -
Ghost of That Feel - He should get a title shot in the upcoming 125 pound division at UFC: Auschwitz.

hahaha
Haha

Kenny is a great fighter. Glad he still has a title in mind.

To people criticizing, what did you expect him to say?
"I am just here for a paycheck. I do not want relevant fights"? Phone Post
12/18/11 2:04 PM
Authority Figure

Large Fun Bags - I don't know how he's going to make it to the top of the LW division in the UFC. No way he gets past Edgar, Henderson, or Cerrone. <br><br>I say send him to Strikeforce and see how he does against Gil

I have my criticisms about last night, but one thing I KNOW:

Gil would pick his teeth with Kenny's bones.
12/18/11 2:13 PM
spliffmood

Won't happen. Cerrone is in his way
12/18/11 2:19 PM
semtex0809
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Northside Strangler -  
This says it all^^^ Phone Post
12/18/11 2:22 PM
semtex0809
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LilBrockonmychest -
doughboyunited - no way he is getting another shot. every time he has a big shot he blows it with crappy game plans.

Sounds like you're just repeating what Dana says.

I'm not a big fan of Kenny but why is it that people say he always chokes in title fights? How about the fact that Sherk, BJ, and Aldo are better fighters than him?
I agree he doesnt choke he loses ... Dana shows favortism towards kenny bc hes from boston Phone Post
12/18/11 2:24 PM
Ondz
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glad to hear Kenny will keep fighting. He is an exciting guy to watch.

He also gives hope to every pencil necked computer geek that they too can become a top level fighter, despite having no visible athletic gifts and I mean that in the most loving way possible.

War Kenflo!
12/18/11 2:27 PM
nobigdeal

Large Fun Bags - I don't know how he's going to make it to the top of the LW division in the UFC. No way he gets past Edgar, Henderson, or Cerrone.

I say send him to Strikeforce and see how he does against Gil Phone Post
This. I'd like to see him and Melendez. Phone Post
12/18/11 2:31 PM
erikmfx
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12/18/11 2:50 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/18/11 2:50 PM
Kenflo vs Cerrone for his next fight. If Ceronne beats Diaz, then beats Kenny, he gets a title shot. If Kenny beats Cerrone, then he is back in the mix.

If Kenny were to beat Cerrone then I would say he would only have to win one or two more fights before he is #1 contender.

If Kenny loses to Cerrone then put him up against mid-level fighters until he retires.

Simple.
12/18/11 3:07 PM
BJJkilla
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he'll wear a wig and challenge cyborg for the womens 145 title.
12/18/11 3:26 PM
Alpinestar
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Please don't tell me ZUFFA is giving Florian another undeserved title shot. He just had a title shot against Aldo (after having beaten only one FW) and couldn't do it. He failed against Sherk and choked going against Penn. Why is the UFC so interested in Florian being the champion? He's good, but obviously he's not a championship material. Florian is the ideal gatekeeper, but nothing more. Is he going to plea that he should be in the flyweight tourney? Enough is enough.
12/18/11 3:35 PM
Jetster
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kenney is a very talented fighter, he's had his chances and came up short, he is good enough to win 4 to 5 more fights and get another shot. Good for him not quiting his dream, I use to hate him when he started but he has won me over with his skills and heart.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.