UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Trouble before BCT

12/19/11 3:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ghostface casey
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello SoldierGround,

I have some problems I wanted to see if you guys could help me with before I went and spoke to my recruiter about since he's kind of an odd guy. Ok, so my home life has never been the greatest but it hasn't ever swayed me from doing anything or gotten in the way of a goal of mine. That is, until now. I have a 15 year old sister who lives at home with me and my mother. My mom and dad are getting a divorce and since I've never been close to either of them, this hasn't really effected me much. But, my sister idolizes both of my parents, especially my dad and is not taking this divorce thing good at all. My dad left home with his mistress half of his age and my mom has hit the bottle HARD to try and cope with it. At this point, she isn't being much of a mom at all and I have even been forced to pay for things, for my sister, that should be in charge of the mother. Now, my mom is moving out of the house as well and my sister does not want to live with her, and rightfully so given the last few months. I have signed a contract for 4 years of active duty and 4 years as a reservist in the US Army. My sister has been begging me not to leave her alone and I have heard her crying herself to sleep lately. I was wondering if there is a way I can get my contract altered to be in the Reserves rather than active duty as I cannot, as her big brother, just leave her here to handle her problems on her own. Also, I am afraid of DCFS taking her away from my mother if things were to get worse. Is this possible to do without terminating my contract? I know that it is possible for me to puss out of the contract and say no, but that's not the option I want to take. I leave in March and would be done with training by September and would like to keep it that way. If anyone could help me out before I speak with my recruiter, it would be very appreciated. Thanks guys.

gfc
12/19/11 4:18 PM
Johnny Hotdog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hey man.
I am also awaiting deployment to basic training, and i believe you can indeed renegotiate your contract, although your recruiter most likely will try to talk you out of it and wont be happy

good luck mang.
12/20/11 12:19 AM
manzuri
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Talk to your recruiter. Tell him your situation, and tell him that you either need a contract as a reservist or you will have to search for civilian employment. It is very frowned upon but as long as you haven't sworn in your second time (the day you leave for bootcamp) you can walk away with no consequences, I have seen it happen several times. Just be respectful in how you approach the situation, you are asking him for help not trying to threaten him for it, and im sure that he will be more than happy to help you.

Best of luck, and be sure to keep us updated. Phone Post
12/20/11 1:27 AM
ghostface casey
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alrighty, I'm going to try to take a trip over there tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted on what the verdict is. Thanks for your help!
12/20/11 12:03 PM
Blizass
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are in a DEP contract, you can get out of it. The day you sign your final contract is the day when you go to MEPS to fly out to basic training.
12/21/11 5:45 PM
virux11b
195 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

manzuri - Talk to your recruiter. Tell him your situation, and tell him that you either need a contract as a reservist or you will have to search for civilian employment. It is very frowned upon but as long as you haven't sworn in your second time (the day you leave for bootcamp) you can walk away with no consequences, I have seen it happen several times. Just be respectful in how you approach the situation, you are asking him for help not trying to threaten him for it, and im sure that he will be more than happy to help you.

Best of luck, and be sure to keep us updated. Phone Post
Truth! This is one of those issues that your recruiter NEEDS to work with you on. Here is the question though. What's happens to her when you go to basic and AIT? Make sure you look at all your options and make a good decision. If she can't be taken care of during that time, don't even reno your contract. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.