UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Nog: Ref's warning is why I went for submission

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/21/11 10:51 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1433 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

“Last Saturday I fought and lost via submission for the first time in my career, it was a bad feeling, but it’s part of the sport. Everything that happens in a fight is quick and the fighter acts most based on his instincts and reflexes than on his mind. I knew I made a mistake as I tried to submit on a fight where I could have won by KO. But when Frank Mir was practically knocked out I heard the judge as me to stop punching him at the neck and that exactly when I tried to choke him. Mir put himself together and must be congratulated for submitting me. I checked the videos and I wasn’t hitting him on the neck, but on Mir’s side of the head, which is allowed”, revealed Rodrigo, who’s now focusing on recovering to overcome the most exceptional obstacle of his career.

read entire article...

12/21/11 10:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DAVID H
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I noticed/heard this during the fight....
12/21/11 10:57 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mmkay

12/21/11 11:00 PM
Kostakio
877 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NarlyPersianDude -
Pride Rules - typical brazilian shit talk after a fight

first it was because he was sick

now its because herb dean made a mistake

if you cant lock in a choke on a man whos barely conscious, then just deal with it...no need for finding things to blame it on. 

Why you are a prejudiced simpleton, BigNog was sick the first fight, and the ref saying that can indeed throw a fighter off.

You are a hater, I see this kind of cheap shit from you all the time on here, you stand out in a bad way to be honest.
Holy call-out. lol Phone Post
12/21/11 11:07 PM
MickColins
192 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard herb call him out right before he flopped to the choke. Phone Post
12/21/11 11:08 PM
Granite007
161 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meh... Big Nog lost to Frank, again. Both have been around forever and we were aware of their skill set, and who they were. Why is anyone surprised, truthfully?

Anything could have happened in that fight.

12/21/11 11:15 PM
Porkchop
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a big fan of how Nog is making that excuse but what are you gonna do. I guess he has to tell his side of the story.

He should stop at that tho. If he tries to blatantly say that Herb cost him the fight, that would be offside.
12/21/11 11:16 PM
ausgepicht

Pride Rules - typical brazilian shit talk after a fight

first it was because he was sick

now its because herb dean made a mistake

if you cant lock in a choke on a man whos barely conscious, then just deal with it...no need for finding things to blame it on. 
I am one of the first people to jump on the anti-Brazilian bandwagon, but Nog got yin-yanged by the ref in that fight. When the ref said that everyone in the roof looked at each other confused. I asked my friend "Did I miss the punches to the back of the head?" Everyone was wondering why he said it. I understand that some refs say it just as a preventative measure....they aren't warning, but reminding. 

But Nog? Do you got to warn or warn Nog? It made him switch gears. 

12/21/11 11:18 PM
ranier wolfcastle
1648 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

apparently mir wasnt nearly kod at the point where he began to get choked, cuz he escaped quickly. seemed his brain was functioning highly.
12/21/11 11:19 PM
Sofa King Cool
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nog comes off sounding bitter and full of excuses.

He pulled the same shit after the first fight. He should stick to feeding carrots to buses. Phone Post
Haulport
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Underground News - “Last Saturday I fought and lost via submission for the first time in my career, it was a bad feeling, but it’s part of the sport. Everything that happens in a fight is quick and the fighter acts most based on his instincts and reflexes than on his mind. I knew I made a mistake as I tried to submit on a fight where I could have won by KO. But when Frank Mir was practically knocked out I heard the judge as me to stop punching him at the neck and that exactly when I tried to choke him. Mir put himself together and must be congratulated for submitting me. I checked the videos and I wasn’t hitting him on the neck, but on Mir’s side of the head, which is allowed”, revealed Rodrigo, who’s now focusing on recovering to overcome the most exceptional obstacle of his career.
I FUCKING SAID EXACTLY THAT ON ANOTHER THREAD YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!

MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!! Herb Dean is the MOST VISIBLE ref in the sport constantly interjecting himself into the fight and altering outcomes!!!!!!

The rules are a fucking joke, the refs are SHIT and the Commissions should be disbanded!!!!!!!!
Caught_clean
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Literally anything he said would be called a excuse by these retards. In the same sentence as him saying "I went for the choke because the ref warned me about the back of the head" he also says " Frank must be congratulated for recovering and submitting me"
12/21/11 11:22 PM
Haulport
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

And here's where I said it!!!!!!

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&forum=1&thread=1926341&page=1&pc=38

Goddammit!!!!!!!!!!!!
12/21/11 11:25 PM
ausgepicht

ranier wolfcastle -  apparently mir wasnt nearly kod at the point where he began to get choked, cuz he escaped quickly. seemed his brain was functioning highly.
Makes you wonder if Nog didn't give up his position and replaced that RNC attempt with 3-4 more punches if the outcome may have been different.

12/21/11 11:26 PM
MacNYC
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To be fair to Big Nog, he was beating him until he got beat, and must be really disappointed, seems he's being honest in what was going through his mind. Congrats to Mir, as he said.
12/21/11 11:29 PM
MacNYC
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If Big Nog had won, his only unavenged losses would be to Fedor and Cain.
12/21/11 11:33 PM
Sofa King Cool
423 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Thanks a lot Herb Dean. You made Nog lose."

-The UG Phone Post
12/21/11 11:51 PM
SinCityHustler

Caught_clean -  Literally anything he said would be called a excuse by these retards. In the same sentence as him saying "I went for the choke because the ref warned me about the back of the head" he also says " Frank must be congratulated for recovering and submitting me"

I think Frank wasn't as hurt as Big Nog thinks he was.  Mir said that he was fine and was going to drive forward and finish the take down.  He appeared just fine when he reversed Noguiera and then snapped his arm in half.  I believe Noguiera, I'm sure he did change tactics because of the commans given to him from Herb Dean, I just don't buy the Frank Mir was nearly knocked out.  And Frank proved that he wasn't very badly hurt when he first escaped from the choke and then reversed the position before finally snapping the arm.  A nearly KOd man doesn't do any of that, let alone all of it.  
12/21/11 11:57 PM
JohnnyChrist

NarlyPersianDude - Before you guys start jumping on BigNog saying he is making an excuse, just realize he is not saying that Frank dont deserve the win, just he is expressing the sequences of the fight.

And frankly, I can see where he is coming from, I hope you guys give BigNog the benefit of the doubt, by God he has earned it assuredly.

Tread easy ug

With all due respect Narly, you jumped on Frank Mir any time he defended himself for the first win, and although I don't think Big Nog should be disrespected in any way shape or form, if people get after him a little bit for his comments I think you should be able to see why.

But in response to the article, refs say "don't hit the back of the head" a LOT, and often as a precautionary thing. From Herb's point of view, it probably seemed like Nog was hitting near the back of the head, so he was just doing his job. He screwed up the guillotine, when they rolled he should have done a better job of getting full mount, in which case it would have been game over. Also, I don't really think Mir was "almost out," if he were, his defense and subsequent submission would have not been nearly that crisp lol.
12/21/11 11:57 PM
FingerorMoon
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wasn't it obvious to anyone watching that he went for the submission after the ref warning?

Its not an excuse though. He could have just kept timing his punches to finish. Its not the refs fault.
12/22/11 12:21 AM
Ensanity
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought Nog forced that choke the moment he went for it. He usually has a good sense of when to apply a sub and he just rushed into that one. Make sense but still a stupid mistake.

I am still pissed about this fight.
12/22/11 12:37 AM
RentedMule
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Blaming a foolish mistake you've made on someone else is very weak.

Nog is one of the all-time greats; I don't see the need for excuses.
12/22/11 12:48 AM
chitownbjj
33 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Let's say Nog kept on punching...and KO Mir and some shots did land on the back of Mir's head....now what? Point deduction? No contest?

Nog is a veteran with plenty of experiences and should have adjusted his punches; but dont act like the ref didnt affect the outcome of the fight. Phone Post
12/22/11 1:03 AM
gonzaru3
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Didn't nog say in an earlier interview that he went for the choke cause he wanted the submission win and now he's saying he went for the choke after the refs instruction not to hit to the back of the head. He didn't have to stop punching. He could have chose he's shots wiser. He claims he had frank hurt n was a couple shots away from finishing the fight. Phone Post
12/22/11 1:35 AM
kelby

if nog knew he could of ko'ed mir in that position, he would of. but, he couldn't. ref is not at fault. he just warnded him. nog could of simply finished him from there, if he could of.
but, he just had to jump into the submission. why, because that is his natural reaction. he is a bjj artist at heart.

now he is making excuses. some of you guys say he isn't, but he is. simple as that.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.