UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Upgrading my MIM strat

12/23/11 12:19 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dajuisher
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Continuing to upgrade my 91 MIM strat. Found a set of custom shop tex specials for half the price on CL, and just ordered this prewired kit with the tone mod and russian PIO cap (.047).

https://www.martinsixstringcustoms.com/store/prewired-guitar-electronics-harnesses/prewired-stratocastera-wiring-harness/prod_12.html

Do you think it will be a noticeable improvement vs the stock pups and electronics?
1/6/12 5:46 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/25/12 1:59 PM
 The Texas Specials should add punch over the stock MIM pickups. Many of the MIM pickups are made with the magnet set under the coil with conductive polepieces. The T.S. pickups are magnets with a coil wrapped around them. This can make qute a difference in how "authentic" the sound is.

The paper in oil cap thing has some merit, but I think people are spending a lot of money for caps that are not a geat improvement over much cheaper alternatives. I can get Sprague Orange caps chep as hell and they work just fine. My biggest concern is that some caps used in production guitars seem to rob the entire signal of output, making the tone control almost useless. With the right potentiometer and cap it can be a very useful control.

I just checked that harness out. Nice parts and clean assembly from what I can see. $70.00 base price is quite reasonable as well. I think you did very well, you will certainly notice a difference, like adding a supercharger to a V8,IMO. ;)

1/8/12 5:11 PM
Dajuisher
102 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I also ordered a Callaham bridge block and Gilmour shorty term arm.

http://www.callahamguitars.com/blocks.htm Phone Post
1/9/12 3:13 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So when do you replace the tuners,neck, and body?  ;)

Are you sure the Callaham block will fit your bridge plate? Some MIM Strats have a narrower string spacing than US models.
1/9/12 3:48 PM
Dajuisher

Lol, right?

I ordered one specific for the MIM. I had already put the fender locking tuners on it, made a huge difference. This is as far as I am going to go with this guitar.

I know I have dumped more into it then I probably should have, but I really like this guitar. I have an American Deluxe, a Standard SG, and a PRS SE Tremonti, but I always seem to reach for the MIM. All the others are rosewood neck, the MIM is maple. I think a am favoring the maple. Phone Post
1/30/12 10:49 PM
Racer X

Man, I miss my '77 Vibro-Champ.  :(
1/31/12 3:30 PM
Dajuisher

My dad bought me a crappy strat copy and a little Fender Champ Amp as my first set up when I was 9 (30 years ago).

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-blackface-champ/

After using it for a few years, the champ amp stopped working. Being a stupid kid that didnt know any better, I took it apart, looked around, and said, "meh, its junk anyway" and tossed it. It was probably only a tube, and my leg still hurts from kicking myself in the ass all these years later. :(
2/13/12 10:55 PM
Racer X

Dajuisher - My dad bought me a crappy strat copy and a little Fender Champ Amp as my first set up when I was 9 (30 years ago).

http://ampwares.com/amplifiers/fender-blackface-champ/

After using it for a few years, the champ amp stopped working. Being a stupid kid that didnt know any better, I took it apart, looked around, and said, "meh, its junk anyway" and tossed it. It was probably only a tube, and my leg still hurts from kicking myself in the ass all these years later. :(

*Kicks Dajuisher in the ass over the interwebs*

I had a repair shop in a store that burned down. Lost my '77 silverface Vibro-Champ because of it. I feel your pain.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.