UnderGround Forums

HolyGround >> Would there be Christianity if no Chanukah?

12/24/11 6:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jrrrrr
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If the ancient Israelis did not fight for their faith, for which Chanukah is being celebrated now, would we also be celebrating Christmas?

If so, how would we?

If not, should we also be celebrating Chanukah as well?
12/24/11 10:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I find it interesting that Chanukah starts on the 25th of Kislev, Chanukah was celebrated before Jesus was born. When the Hebrew Calendar became the Gregorian calendar the 25th of Kislev became the 25th of December. I believe scholars today believe Jesus was born sometime in the Spring not the winter. Jews put their menorah in the windows during this holiday. The menorah is a symbol for the Tree of Life. Funny, A TREE! Chanukah is the Festival of Lights, yet Christians put an actual tree with lights in their house and on their houses. I think we are celebrating the same holiday. What would people do if they had no menorah maybe use an actual tree? Also, maybe Christians didn't want to directly associate with Judaism so they took our symbols and continued on with the holiday. Maybe Christians never knew, or thought they knew, when Jesus was born. What better day to celebrate it then Chanukah. Christmas is Chanukah!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.