UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> Tell me your favorite wrestling techniques

12/25/11 10:50 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
InYourMomaCloset
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One thing I've found really useful, was watching that video that surfaced a few weeks back of the Iowa Hawkeye's wrestling team training session.

I think Dan Gable was the name of the coach?

Anyway, I took away from it some valuable lessons.

Just watching the wrestlers, and the particular movements, I did get quite a feel for some takedowns, and have been doing well with them in training.

By example, getting and finishing the single is something I've improved on hugely.
From having studied that tape, I know when I get it, I'll either go for
1) charging to the side and taking his other leg
2) pivoting and swinging him to the ground
3) lifting his leg up, he starts hopping, and then tripping that leg out

Before watching the vid, the only real staple technique I had was a double leg shot.

I'd fake going for a greco hold, then change levels, get the double, drive to one side, he resists, then use his momentum to take him down the other side.

The other final one I like to do is go for an arm drag and swing him round like a centrifuge, and then simultaneously change levels and scoop a single.

Anyways, sorry for the babble.

My point and question is, oftentimes it's them little niches that folk have, in a sense, the little things, that makes the technique work for them.

I'm interested to hear those "staple" parts of your game.
The techniques that, when you have the guy locked in, your 90% sure you can finish the takedown, cause you're so thorough with knowing what to do from there.

Does that make sense?

Anyways, if so, please share.

I often find just thinking about the techniques and visualizing, away from the practice hall, helps greatly in actually nailing them down when it comes to practice itself.

PS - one in particular, if someone can enlighten me?

Having a rear body lock, where you might go for a suplex by example, but the takedown is actually lifting him, I think sort of tripping his legs out judo style, and then dumping him down, if you get me?

I seen it the the Hawkeye's practice vid, but haven't been able to fully nail the technique in practice.

12/25/11 7:11 PM
ChipW
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYourMomaCloset - 

Having a rear body lock, where you might go for a suplex by example, but the takedown is actually lifting him, I think sort of tripping his legs out judo style, and then dumping him down, if you get me?

I seen it the the Hawkeye's practice vid, but haven't been able to fully nail the technique in practice.

Ive always heard that called a "return to the mat"  
like shown here:
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/234202-Technique-Tuesday/video/161175-Valenti-Mat-Returns

12/26/11 12:02 AM
westleyyys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sprawl Phone Post
12/26/11 2:32 AM
InYourMomaCloset

ChipW - 
InYourMomaCloset - 

Ive always heard that called a "return to the mat"  
like shown here:
http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/234202-Technique-Tuesday/video/161175-Valenti-Mat-Returns

That's it!

Cheers, that was a very good vid.

12/26/11 7:49 AM
ChipW
172 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^ cool, glad to be if help. That move looks like it's all strength but the way you block his leg and get under his hips it actually makes it quite easy to pop him up. Phone Post
12/26/11 5:57 PM
JrRapozo

High crotch to double leg works for me.

12/27/11 5:47 AM
InYourMomaCloset

JrRapozo - High crotch to double leg works for me.

Yeah?

Feel free to go into detail a bit more.

How to you like to set up getting the high crotch, how do you like to transition etc?
12/27/11 1:03 PM
The Persian Devil
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My "go to's" would be;

Single.
Double without knee touching
Barzagar takedown
high crotch
greco snapdown

Most of my other moves are based on these basics. I mostly chain wrestle and go from one move to the next.
12/30/11 11:59 PM
Porkchop74
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lateral drop
12/31/11 7:59 AM
InYourMomaCloset

Edited: 12/31/11 8:51 AM
Any like, video links to them techniques would be aces??
(Greco snapdown and lateral drop sound like fun, but I've no idea what either one are?)

Just a quick question also.

You get the single, and you can either go for the lift, the pivot to the ground; but your going to drive for the double.

I thought had it before, but I'm a little ambivalent on the exact technique.

Do you drive directly forward, or to the side a little, before you go for the other leg?
Anyone have a vid link for a good demonstration of that?

There's also this other one that I never saw really, but it seems to work.
It's like, you go for an arm drag standing, and once you have that, you hook his leg with yours and go for the trip.
I know it's a wrestling move, but I don't know the name?

12/31/11 12:53 PM
The Persian Devil
197 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

InYourMomaCloset - Any like, video links to them techniques would be aces??
(Greco snapdown and lateral drop sound like fun, but I've no idea what either one are?)

Just a quick question also.

You get the single, and you can either go for the lift, the pivot to the ground; but your going to drive for the double.

I thought had it before, but I'm a little ambivalent on the exact technique.

Do you drive directly forward, or to the side a little, before you go for the other leg?
Anyone have a vid link for a good demonstration of that?

There's also this other one that I never saw really, but it seems to work.
It's like, you go for an arm drag standing, and once you have that, you hook his leg with yours and go for the trip.
I know it's a wrestling move, but I don't know the name?

If you are going from a single to a double (also known as Barzagar after the iranian olympic wrestler) you can do it in a couple of different ways.

It also depends on if you got his leg between your legs, or if he is defending the dump by having his leg outside on your hip (think BJ penn). If his leg is between your legs, you need to clear his leg for the double. I am assuming you have a single on his left leg. Clear his leg by taking a step back with your right foot, block his far knee with your left hand (just block it) pull his left leg upwards for additional force and run him down to your left side.

If he is already defending by putting his leg outside of yours, pull his leg up a little bit so his knee is resting on your hip. Then do the above steps.

The arm drag to trip is a risky move. Basically instead of clearing his arm in front of his chest, you pull it downwards towards the mat. Then you hook his leg, pull him down and step over with the other leg. It's risky though and a low chance move against anyone who has a clue. I would rather go for a single or double after the arm drag.
1/1/12 10:52 AM
InYourMomaCloset

Cheers bro I'll give that a try ^^

Just one more I got in mind now.

When Thiago Alves fought John Howard, I think it was the first technique he performed on him.

It's like a front body lock, and then shifting your hands to the side and toss/trip/throws them down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gixu_paulo-filho-adcc-2000_sport

@ 5:25 of that vid, Paulo Filho performs something similar.

Thing is, I just don't know the names of these techniques.
If anyone can explain that one that would be great, but if I could get the name either, I can probably find a demonstration vid on flowwrestling.com??
1/1/12 11:14 AM
The Persian Devil

InYourMomaCloset -  Cheers bro I'll give that a try ^^

Just one more I got in mind now.

When Thiago Alves fought John Howard, I think it was the first technique he performed on him.

It's like a front body lock, and then shifting your hands to the side and toss/trip/throws them down.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gixu_paulo-filho-adcc-2000_sport

@ 5:25 of that vid, Paulo Filho performs something similar.

Thing is, I just don't know the names of these techniques.
If anyone can explain that one that would be great, but if I could get the name either, I can probably find a demonstration vid on flowwrestling.com??

He went from double underhooks to a body trip. You can do it from either over/under hooks or double underhooks. Step in and block his knee with your own knee, make sure you have an angle with your hips against his. Give a shove with your knee and take him down.
1/8/12 1:22 PM
Root12
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

seperated for standing/mat/scramble techniques

Japanese wizzer/arm spin
Hi crotch and drag the hip by on the sprawl
collar tie to ankle pick
duck under

granby rolls
switch
bait the half then wing and roll

FUNK ROLL!!!!
1/25/12 7:13 PM
Rafael135
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Subd for later Phone Post
1/30/12 1:24 PM
MonsterMyke
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Japanese wizzer. Gut wrench. Phone Post
2/1/12 4:05 AM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

footsweeps. cause they just rock.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.