UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> From BJJ to Judo?

12/26/11 4:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jerky66
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been doing BJJ for 5 years and am getting bored of the sport and my school. Would you guys recommend going from BJJ to Judo? I have a school that is not that far away from me that teaches Judo.
12/26/11 8:22 PM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's what I did, and I highly recommend it. At the least, you should be saving a nice chunk of money.

On the downside, a lot of judo schools are open only 2-3 times a week.

You'll probably need to get a new gi.
12/27/11 7:18 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why not? You can have a lot of fun learning the throwing aspect and as a white belt probably beat a few BB on the ground. And your ground game will get better when you fight the best BB on the ground. We do have some guys who are beasts down there comparable to BJJ BB skills. You can eventually can compete in judo as a white belt at your choice and have fun. 2-3 times of judo/week is plenty. 2 times to start out. ENjoy.
12/27/11 8:13 AM
jerky66

Thanks guys! That really helps.

I am going to try the judo school over the first few weeks in January
12/27/11 9:03 AM
Seong gyeong
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If your school is run by Japanese sensei, then be careful about the etiquette.

Maybe you already know this, and they probably don't even apply to you, but just in case, what I usually see newcomers do and then getting reprimanded for:

* Don't ever walk in front of a sensei when he's speaking to others across from him.

* Don't lean against the wall.

* Don't wear a dirty gi.

* Make sure your belt is tied so that each side hangs at an even length.

* Bow when you enter/exit the dojo/mat.

* Don't leave to take a piss or get water unless you've been granted permission.

* Don't complain about the training being too hard.

* Don't lie on the mat after being thrown to emphasize your dislike for the training.

I just remember how different the atmosphere was from some BJJ schools I trained at (talking on cell phones on the mat, for example).

Now I really love judo. Despite having more bodily pain than I did in BJJ, I don't ever see myself stopping.

The fact that you've been doing BJJ for 5 years: yeah, you're probably gonna tap a lot of people if the school trains newaza.

Hope you have a good experience.
12/29/11 9:35 AM
judoblackbelt
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just observe and follow the etiqutte, it is that simple. You might do somethings on the ground that are not allowed in judo and PO a few. Hand across the face, squezzing the legs above the waist putting pressure on the rib cage if you get back control, below the waist is OK. Hyper extending the spine, pulling the head down with both hands from a bottom guard choke. Choke with the opponents gi. Your gi is fine.
12/29/11 9:44 AM
panic686
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - Just observe and follow the etiqutte, it is that simple. You might do somethings on the ground that are not allowed in judo and PO a few. Hand across the face, squezzing the legs above the waist putting pressure on the rib cage if you get back control, below the waist is OK. Hyper extending the spine, pulling the head down with both hands from a bottom guard choke. Choke with the opponents gi. Your gi is fine.

Haha yeah. I've been doing well for the most part myself when learnign judo, but defended a throw the other day and went immediately to back mount lol. The pure judo guys looked at me a little funny lol
12/29/11 2:29 PM
judoblackbelt

Correction to my post, can choke them with their gi but can't use your gi to choke them, like feeding your gi around their necks.
Getting the back in judo is not a big deal. We mostly try to pin from this postition with various tieups and then push the opponent away to side mount/top mount and pin.
12/29/11 7:35 PM
judo man

Just enjoy ride. Judo will help your standup, balance and most of important of all develop ukemi skills.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.