UnderGround Forums

Hawai'i Underground >> Gracie Barra killing the belt system

12/26/11 6:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JrRapozo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I heard they just promoted some more purps after being open for like 2 years awesome. Took me 4 1/2 to get my purp and that was with wrestling. Either they getting all the phenoms or much to generous wit their promotions.
12/26/11 6:39 PM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they have had some purples for a while now. have a friends kid who got his/her yellow belt within 1 year of training, so they said. not surprisingly when naga came around the kids were competing in both beginner and yellow belt, which they had done beginner the year before and possibly before that---- not to knock on anyones kids, cause i did see some really good kids from all schools, and kids just use what they are taught be it good or not so good-------. the adults pretty much mirror the kids as far as I can see with regards to promotion. i hear they do have some decent guys but usually after the contract is up you see the gb guys checking out the other schools in the area as they seem to know something is a little fishy in their home pond.

Oh and jrrapozo from da wesside, this troll has been done a bunch of times on here.
12/26/11 7:09 PM
Magnum TA

BJJ has killed the system on it's own. GB is just a result of what has already happened on a much larger scale in the martial art itself.
12/26/11 7:31 PM
JIMMYNAKS
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What would DC do?

Pau Hana!! Phone Post
12/27/11 12:41 AM
JrRapozo

I agree with Magnum TA I think BJJ did it to itself
12/27/11 3:17 AM
B_RYCE

I've been at barra from the beginning,granted I did train before but I got my purple and I believe I'm we're I'm suppose to be. Gb isnt killing the belt system they just do things different. In fact my instructor promoted me not because of time but on what he sees. I havent gone by attendance for like a year now,lol. And uh we've been around for 3 years now. Before I forget I respect everyone who doesn't troll on the forums. That's just my two cents.
12/27/11 3:19 AM
Magnum TA

If you don't have a single cut and dry standard for everyone there will always be issues with promotions.
12/27/11 4:07 AM
B_RYCE

And yes pau Hana rules all
12/27/11 5:06 AM
Sgt. Slaphead
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

NAME EXAMPLES OF FRADULENT BBs!

HAVE THE BALLS TO NAME THEM OR STFU YOUR FAGGOTTY TROLLING!

12/27/11 5:22 AM
JIMMYNAKS
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sgt Slaphead with the Pau Hana move! Phone Post
12/27/11 5:30 AM
KUIndustries
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bryce have you trained elsewhere recently? Having trained with a lot of different people I feel it gave me a good perspective on things and you can pick up a lot.

12/27/11 12:44 PM
B_RYCE

@KUI,no havent trained any where else in a long time. I think it would be good to see where my level is and pick up some stuff from other people. Just not sure where I would go? I think im gonna try Central Oahu since I have a friend who is there. Just need to get the time and my knee a little better first,lol.
12/27/11 1:22 PM
Magnum TA

Your store is right next to another school across the street.
12/27/11 1:42 PM
B_RYCE

@Todd???
12/27/11 1:53 PM
Magnum TA

Edited: 12/27/11 1:56 PM
 Paul Ano (Nova Unaio black belt) teaches 3 nights a week at Elite TKD by Suzies which is right down the road from your store. It's a small place with only a few guys but Paul has been around forever and he has a couple of other people with good experience (Dexter Kuahi and Augie Padeken). Price is $55 a month (no contract) which includes another class in Pearl City if you want to attend that one. 
12/27/11 2:56 PM
B_RYCE

Thanks for the invite. I will be staying where I'm at now but would like to get a roll here and there if the opportunity presents it self.
12/27/11 3:14 PM
Magnum TA

He has a $10 mat fee to take class but eventually he would want you to decide. We have had people from other gyms drop in but after rolling with Paul they don't seem to come back. A couple of guys from GB have joined though.
12/27/11 3:58 PM
meatrokket
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Magnum TA -  Paul Ano (Nova Unaio black belt) teaches 3 nights a week at Elite TKD by Suzies which is right down the road from your store. It's a small place with only a few guys but Paul has been around forever and he has a couple of other people with good experience (Dexter Kuahi and Augie Padeken). Price is $55 a month (no contract) which includes another class in Pearl City if you want to attend that one. 

Hey don't forget to tell everyone that you're not welcome unless you are NU and you will need a special exception to roll. 
12/27/11 4:23 PM
B_RYCE

Again thanks for the invite but Im gonna stay at GB and maybe find my way to Central if I can get time. I would like to do one of Borgs classes.
12/27/11 4:23 PM
Magnum TA

Edited: 12/27/11 4:51 PM
 Only if you are there to do a challenge match during class hours. Anyone can come and pay the $10 drop fee to participate in the class and roll with everyone after (including me). However, I am not sure how long they would be allowed to do that if they already have a home gym.   
12/27/11 9:19 PM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A buddy of mine who trains there was telling me how a few 2 stripe blues got their purple one night is this true??? Not that it can't happen but its rare to see one guy progress that fast but more then one is odd

Lmao at thinking you are at the level that u deserve to be at I remember every belt I had training hard to live up to the blue and purple belts ahead of me
12/27/11 9:45 PM
B_RYCE

To each his own I guess. I guess saying were I am suppose to be is the wrong way of putting it.I have belief in my instructor and my bjj that I feel comfortable what belt I am. But always striving to be better and always learning,I guess your never really ready for that step but you grow into that and progress from that. As far as 2 stripe blues getting belts all I can speak for is my self and I was at 3 stripes. Again each school does stuff different. No disrespect to any one on this forum,this is just one mans opinion.
12/28/11 5:11 AM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup to each his own if I got promoted the same way you guys did I would throw my belt in the trash
12/28/11 5:15 AM
sufferingsuckatash
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol neckcrank is awesome
12/28/11 5:20 AM
JrRapozo

I don't know about throwing the belts in the trash, but it's probably a good idea to try to stop by a friendly academy to gauge where you're at.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.