UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> K Sos has no memory of retirement

12/28/11 12:39 PM
Ignore | Vote Down | Vote Up
Underground News
1125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground News, Editor

UFC President Dana White's UFC 141 blog (see below) showed a UFC 140 post fight scene in which Krzysztof Soszynski appeared to retire. May not be true, as Soszynski told MAJunkie.com, he has no memory of it.

"I'm sitting down surfing the net, and I come across Dana White's video blog," said Soszynski. "I pop it on because I'm always a fan of those things, and next thing you know, there I am."

"The last thing I remember before the knockout was going into the cage, setting up across from Igor, and then shaking hands. The next thing I remember is I'm woken up in the back, fully dressed, and Joe Silva came up to me, sort of gave me a hug and told me to keep my head up."

"It's rough. But I had wondered for the last two weeks if Igor came up to me and said anything. And we did talk, so that was pretty cool."

"The knockout has nothing to do with anything. I've been dealing with a lot of injuries. Ever since UFC 110 in Austrailia with that crazy war with Stephan Bonnar, my body has not been the same. Not even close. I don't think I've ever fought close to 70 percent since that first fight with Bonnar. The retirement thing has been on my mind for a little while, only because I can't train the way I want to train because of all these injuries.

"I have to go see my doctor again this week. I have to see if I need any more surgeries, and it's just been really rough, mentally. I've trained 15 weeks for my camps, and I've pushed my body to the limit, but there's no security. It's myself, too. I started in the sport really late. I don't have those kind of skills that the top fighters do where I can make it in the top-five, top-10, and start making $50,000, $60,000 and $70,000 per fight. I'm in the lower echelon when it comes to the money the UFC gives out to the fighters, and it's tough to survive with that kind of money. I have to supplement my income. I have to work other jobs. So moving on from MMA is something that's been on my mind for the last little bit."

"I don't want to go out the way I did. I definitely want to fight one more time. But it's not up to me; it's up to my body. If my body lets me, I'll be in that octagon once again, smiling across the octagon from my opponent, shaking hands and going to war. But until I talk to my doctor and get checked out, I won't know what's going on."

"I have to weigh all the options and see what the right option is for me. I've always said that I am a better coach than a fighter, and if this opportunity comes my way with the UFC gym in Torrance, it could be a great opportunity for me to pass on the knowledge that I have to some of my new students."

Read entire article...

12/28/11 12:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
FortyKoatz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sucks that guys like Soszynksi have to work another job just to make ends meet. These guys still are not getting paid what theyre worth.
12/28/11 1:00 PM
FrankenBeans
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah that not right man, KSOS delivers
he should be making enough to be well off financially Phone Post
12/28/11 1:08 PM
Filo_Beto

Dead Again -  Sounds like he needs a better Manager. Sos should be making enough to just train.

I doubt it has anything to do with managers. These fighters talk to each other and they all know what each other are making especially the low end fighters.
12/28/11 1:23 PM
AssassinsNATION

Hate too see this, Sos has great potential sucks his career may be cut short due to injuries. He would make a great trainer and teacher if he was forced to stop fighting. Wish the best to him and his career. Phone Post
12/28/11 2:59 PM
sly fox
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hope he doesnt retire..
12/28/11 3:19 PM
Blaat
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here's to a speedy and full recovery! KSOS is a true warrior!! Phone Post
12/28/11 5:36 PM
jjj2121

FortyKoatz - Sucks that guys like Soszynksi have to work another job just to make ends meet. These guys still are not getting paid what theyre worth.

Why do you say that? No disrespect, but he's a prelim fighter. Why should he be making big money when he doesn't generate that kind of revenue? This isn't a charity.
12/28/11 5:45 PM
jhendo79
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It was pretty heart breaking seeing him not going for that killer shoot of his and trading punches, cest la vie, we all zig when we should have zagged @ one point in all of our lives.

I like K SOS he's a friend of mine and was always cool. Thing is he needed a camp that would focus on his strengths, that being his wrestling and jiu jits, sure every MMA fighter as to work on striking for conditioning and dealing with getting punched and being able to punch. But King's MMA is a striking team for strikers, his stand up game was not @ a level where training with Cordeiro would bring out a monster of a technical striker. He would have been more suited to Greg Jackson, ATT or Team Quest.

Guy is a gifted wrestler/grappler and has made some good waves in the MMA scene from the get go. I wish him and his wife all the best.

-Jonny "Lord Hendo" Henderson
12/28/11 5:48 PM
SleepBomb

sounds like he needs to go on twitter and ask for donations for his fighter lifestyle. he needs to get jorge as an advisor

12/28/11 6:22 PM
Willin
229 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been knocked out badly before and it was funny seeing the doctor ask him the date in the VLog and he was perplexed. The first thing I remembered when I started coming out of it was the doctor asking me the date. It was so hard to think that it was like he was asking me a calculus question or something.
12/28/11 7:27 PM
Fraser_Finlay
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ttt Phone Post
12/28/11 7:30 PM
AssassinsNATION

jhendo79 - It was pretty heart breaking seeing him not going for that killer shoot of his and trading punches, cest la vie, we all zig when we should have zagged @ one point in all of our lives.

I like K SOS he's a friend of mine and was always cool. Thing is he needed a camp that would focus on his strengths, that being his wrestling and jiu jits, sure every MMA fighter as to work on striking for conditioning and dealing with getting punched and being able to punch. But King's MMA is a striking team for strikers, his stand up game was not @ a level where training with Cordeiro would bring out a monster of a technical striker. He would have been more suited to Greg Jackson, ATT or Team Quest.

Guy is a gifted wrestler/grappler and has made some good waves in the MMA scene from the get go. I wish him and his wife all the best.

Nice write up and good insight on things many dont exactly look at when fighter critiquing. Looking forward to your fight good luck. Phone Post
12/28/11 9:54 PM
rbl
170 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jjj2121 - 
FortyKoatz - Sucks that guys like Soszynksi have to work another job just to make ends meet. These guys still are not getting paid what theyre worth.

Why do you say that? No disrespect, but he's a prelim fighter. Why should he be making big money when he doesn't generate that kind of revenue? This isn't a charity.

Big money? He's just talking about training full time, not buying ferraris.
12/28/11 10:19 PM
Hel13torm
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

rbl - 
jjj2121 - 

exactly, I don't think it's asking too much for a UFC fighter to NOT have to work another job on the side to make ends meet.
12/28/11 10:20 PM
HELWIG

Boggles the mind that a significant portion of the guys in the UFC cannot make enough of a living to train full time.

As if thats a reasonable activity to be doing on the side while working a real normal job.
12/28/11 10:23 PM
grafzep
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like Soszynski and would like to see him fight again but that head trauma stuff is scary
12/28/11 10:58 PM
thebravebull

jhendo79 - It was pretty heart breaking seeing him not going for that killer shoot of his and trading punches, cest la vie, we all zig when we should have zagged @ one point in all of our lives.

He used to be at Quest. Why isn't he there anymore?
12/29/11 7:31 AM
jjj2121

rbl - 
jjj2121 - 

Again, why do people think being a professional fighter is some sort of right to the point where everyone in the UFC should be able to do it easily? The first 2 boxers fighting on the undercard of a Pacquiao or Mayweather card aren't making enough to be full time boxers only...why should the UFC be any different? To be nice? It ain't charity.

If your skills/personality don't warrant your pricetag being high enough to the point where you can only train, well then it's time to get a real job.
12/29/11 8:32 AM
AssassinsNATION

jjj2121 -
rbl - 
jjj2121 - 

Again, why do people think being a professional fighter is some sort of right to the point where everyone in the UFC should be able to do it easily? The first 2 boxers fighting on the undercard of a Pacquiao or Mayweather card aren't making enough to be full time boxers only...why should the UFC be any different? To be nice? It ain't charity.

If your skills/personality don't warrant your pricetag being high enough to the point where you can only train, well then it's time to get a real job.
Comparing boxing to MMA is the first mistake. Two different sports and the evidence is clear that boxing doesn't have the right formula as it's fading fast now that MMA has been gaining momentum. So basically rankings only should determine your pay grade Is what your saying? If your in the UFC you should be able to train full time and not worry about a 2nd job, UFC wants the best and has a huge draw to them because of the crop of talent it has and that talent from preliminary to main cards draws people in to pay big money to watch the fights and without the fighters (all of them past, present, and future) the UFC wouldn't be around!! So pay the guys on the roster fairly IMO Phone Post
12/29/11 9:11 AM
jjj2121

^^^

What is a fair wage for Soszynski...how much value does he bring to your show? How many tickets does he sell?

It's harsh, but he's replaceable and forgettable. He seems to freely admit that in this interview.

And please stop the repeated nonsense about boxing fading fast, it's not going anywhere and to say otherwise is moronic.
12/29/11 9:34 AM
CaptainWoody
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

later
12/29/11 11:28 AM
AssassinsNATION

jjj2121 - ^^^

What is a fair wage for Soszynski...how much value does he bring to your show? How many tickets does he sell?

It's harsh, but he's replaceable and forgettable. He seems to freely admit that in this interview.

And please stop the repeated nonsense about boxing fading fast, it's not going anywhere and to say otherwise is moronic.
How many big fights a year are notable in boxing? Don't get mad at facts Phone Post
12/29/11 11:36 AM
GriffinQ
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AssassinsNATION -
jjj2121 - ^^^

How many big fights a year are notable in boxing? Don't get mad at facts Phone Post
There are notable fights in boxing every month. Just because YOU don't know the boxers, doesn't make them less notable. Just like many people dont know 99% of the guys who fight in the UFC Phone Post
12/29/11 11:43 AM
AssassinsNATION

My Old Name Is Not Allowed - Seriously, this money argument is nonsense. Yes, in a perfect world it would be awesome for every UFC fighter to be making enough to train full time, but this is a realistic world of supply and demand. Go out to your local sports bar and ask them if they know who Chuck, Tito, Lesner, Randy, etc are... then do the same with the guys like K Sos, hell even Brookins and Amir. There are guys that have WON Tuf and aren't known to the casual fan, let alone who didn't even make the final two.

The majority of PPV buys are sold on the top 2 or 3 fights. The guys that make the poster. Those are the names that are putting asses in the seats. You want to talk about money? Talk about it from a business point...

A fighter like K Sos has every opportunity to make money on his own name. He got himself to a point to be on a card underneath some of these big names... it's now his and his managers job to capitalize. Sells those sponsorships, and use the TV exposure to earn more fans. Win fights, and build that demand to see him fight. He isn't in a different spot as any up and comer fighting right now... this isn't your 9-5 salary job... this is a gauntlet. Same as every other sport... you do well and win, you eventually get paid, but you have to earn your check first.

Newsflash... not everyone that fights for the UFC is the best in the world... they are just the guys that earned the chance to prove they are the best in the world. Those that prove it, get paid. There is a large pie that alot of people take a cut out of, you start giving the bottom of the barrel newcomers a big slice, that pie goes away pretty quick.

Want a reality check? I have friends that fight in bottom feeder shows for a a % of how many tickets they physically sell. Let's say K Sos is handed a stack of tickets for an unknown upcoming event, he has to sell JUST ON HIS NAME. How much do you think he makes? Not "I have UFC tickets to sell..." no... it's "I have a local show coming up and I'm the headliner..." how many sponsors are going to beat his door down and hand him a check?

Not trying to be a dick here, but this argument is insane.
I understand your points as with the previous poster and i understand how the game is played and how money and pay wages vary and the aspect of a big name bringing more tickets so they deserve more. I was simply stating my opinion was all. Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.