UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> MMA in ann arbor/ypsi area

12/30/11 12:40 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
wrassle51
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recently moved out to ypsi to go to eastern..and was wondering if there were any reputable gyms in the area. the closest I've found is ann arbor mma. Does anyone know whether or not they are legit or have any info on other gyms in the area?
12/30/11 2:33 PM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you have the opportunity and have a car, the drive is short, check out stars and strikes. There in Garden City. Good group of guys and There head instructor has his BB in the sacred art of Chinese fingerkuff.....I kid I kid :). James and his crew are some of the best around, There record proves it.

http://www.starsandstrikesmma.com/
12/31/11 10:40 AM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did mention the Black Belt in the sacred are of Chinese fingerkuffs right?
1/3/12 1:07 AM
wrassle51

thats still about a half hour drive and with being a full time student the gas and the gym fees will be a little costly. but if its the best i can do i may just have to stretch things to make it work. there doesn't seem to be anything that close, besides ann arbor mma. the next closest would be scarred mma in belleville and east west in canton. I know that east west has a great bjj rep, but I don't know anything about scarred. is anyone out there familiar with scarred or ann arbor mma???
1/4/12 1:56 AM
wrassle51

oh and there's also ann arbor jj, i've seen the head instructor compete at bjj tournaments i've been in and he's a beast, but they don't seem to do much in the way of mma, but they are about 5 min away..
1/5/12 10:18 AM
MMAknowitall

scared has some good mma fighters. The instructor has a reputation for being a fake purple belt in bjj, one of his guys told me that he learns from online lessons lol but he does have some talented guys at they gym.
1/5/12 2:23 PM
PAC MAN

i thought Eastern had a mma team?   anyways i dont know where the owner of scared got his rank or anything but he seems like a good guy and they do have some good fighters there, they have also been around for a few years 
1/6/12 10:36 AM
MMAknowitall

i have a friend who trains at the stars gym, and he's definiatly learned a lot in the past couple months. he said they do a free class thing, where you can just come up and try the place out. no contracts either, I forget what they charge a month, but I know they do dailies, where you just pay for one night of training, not sure how much it is.
1/6/12 6:03 PM
mortician
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/06/12 6:04 PM
 80 bucks a month at stars and strikes. First class is free, daily is 10. starsandstrikesmma.com 
2/29/12 3:04 PM
Ramblin' Rey

wrassle51 - oh and there's also ann arbor jj, i've seen the head instructor compete at bjj tournaments i've been in and he's a beast, but they don't seem to do much in the way of mma, but they are about 5 min away..

Sean Bansfield is the professor at Ann Arbor Jiu Jitsu. He has a black belt under Saulo Ribeiro. Really good instructor.
2/29/12 7:04 PM
judoblackbelt

EMU has a judo club to supplement you MMA.
4/26/14 9:49 PM
CMD245

This is an old thread but for anyone still looking for jiu jitsu options near Ann Arbor, Final Round Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness Training Center is now open at 3770 Plaza Drive, near I-94 and the Costco.  Adlai Cleveland teaches the no gi grappling and jiu jitsu program.  He's both a certified coach in Combat Submission Wrestling (CSW) under Erik Paulson and runs the only official 10th Planet program in Michigan under Eddie Bravo.  The Muay Thai program is led by Matee Jedeepitak, who was a Lumpinee champion and has held four world title belts.  More information is at http://finalroundannarbor.com or on the Facebook page.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.