UnderGround Forums

Wrestling UnderGround >> 49 North Wrestling

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

12/30/11 7:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Canario
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just wanted to spread the word about a new initiative I'm a part of called 49 North Wrestling. Other than the occasional UFC mention of "the Canadian Olympic Team" on UFC broadcasts, the Canadian wrestling scene largely goes unnoticed by media, even online, despite having one of the strongest womens programs in the world and many successful individuals at the world and Olympic level. I have started a webpage called 49 North Wrestling, where I hope to increase the exposure of Canadian wrestling and provide its followers with articles, stories, interviews and and event coverage. I'm starting slow as I don't have much experience with website design, but this past week I took some video of the Ontario Development Team Camp held at the University of Western Ontario. This camp brings in the top high school wrestlers from around the province and was instructed by 2008 Olympian Saeed Azarbayjani and a special appearance by 2012 Olympic team member David Tremblay.

Please feel free to check out the site and any comments or ideas are gladly accepted. My first big venture will be filming matches at the Guelph Open on January 21st, so expect tons of matches to be available for viewing in the near future.

Thanks!

http://49northwrestling.com/
12/31/11 8:49 PM
ChipW
182 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cool.  I saw the post about the youth developmental camp.  What type of wrestling is done in Canada at the youth and high school level?  Is it some type of folkstyle like in the US or is it free and Greco? 
12/31/11 9:29 PM
Canario
66 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ChipW -  Cool.  I saw the post about the youth developmental camp.  What type of wrestling is done in Canada at the youth and high school level?  Is it some type of folkstyle like in the US or is it free and Greco? 
All wrestling at the high school and university level is freestyle. The switch was made from folkstyle in the 1970s. We have greco, but it isn't popular. Typically the only greco tournament is held at nationals.

12/31/11 10:46 PM
Canario

Video from the Ontario Development Camp
1/17/12 12:26 PM
Canario

Edited: 01/17/12 12:35 PM
Starting to post matches from the Brock Open (more on the way), will have matches from the Stu Hart Tournament tomorrow and I will be filming at the Guelph Open on Saturday, Check it up and leave feedback!

http://49northwrestling.com

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.