UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> Solar Device Chargers

12/31/11 2:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
frankenchrist
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone have one of these in their bug out bag? I keep seeing them on Steep and Cheap for under $50 and it seems like it might be a smart item to have around so you can charge electronics on the go. Ideas?
12/31/11 2:25 PM
frankenchrist
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is the link to the one I am seeing on Steep and Cheap currently...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/solio-classic-hybrid-charger-silver/17719180?cm_mmc=google+product+search-_-q000000630-_-solio+classic+hybrid+charger+silver-_-873028001058&ean=873028001058&r=1
12/31/11 3:32 PM
MoreThanUFC
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ it doesnt work. That device and others like it have been talked to death on hiking/thruhiking sites for a couple of years now. For electricity to flow, there needs to be a voltage differential. Those little solar panels cant really create a big enough differential. 1 hours gets you about 5% battery charge for a modern smart phone.

Might be great in a pinch, but a better alternative is a second battery.
1/3/12 7:14 PM
LeroyJ

I've got one, and it's definitely not something I plan on counting on anytime soon.

If the device is on in any way, the drain on the battery is larger than the solar device's ability to charge it.

Plus, on cloudy/rainy days it's worthless.

If you live in CO or AZ, it might work better...

Yes, I did buy it on Steep and cheap.com
1/4/12 4:44 PM
cdmontgo
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My roommate has tried a couple of different kinds both on backpacking trips as well as at the house. He was charging a GPS device, a smartphone, or an iPod (different devices at different times). They don't work very well. MoreThanUFC hit the nail on the head.
1/4/12 9:11 PM
MoreThanUFC

Edited: 01/04/12 9:11 PM

Man, SteepandCheap isnt that cheap. Most of what they sell you can find regularly around the web. They do have some good deals, but it's usually women's clothing or discontinued merchandise.

They had a tent for sale... last month or so .... that said 60% off, now $149 ( something like that ). It was discontinued because the front entrance was at a shitty angle and allowed pooled rainwater to run into the tent.

Be wary of that site. They stopped buyer comments for a reason.
1/5/12 2:47 PM
cdmontgo
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MoreThanUFC - Man, SteepandCheap isnt that cheap.

They post sales on items which aren't moving from their main site, backcountry.com. They have a bunch of "deal" sites. bonktown, chainlove, whiskeymilitia, etc.
1/5/12 3:04 PM
MoreThanUFC

I know. I've been a member of Whiteblaze.net even longer than the UG/OG. I didnt know they had that many sites, though.

1/5/12 4:34 PM
cdmontgo

http://www.backcountrycorp.com/corporate/section/1/stores.html
1/15/12 11:59 PM
TheeSenator
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The military has some bad ass ones that we used in the bush while I was in Afghanistan. I would recharge a Harris radio in 10 hours. which, yes is a long time, but when communication is a MUST. Well worth it. I would probably see it hit the streets in 2 years. 

1/18/12 8:56 PM
MoreThanUFC

Havent seen that, kvr. Careful on Whiteblaze. Most of us long ago posters have left. ATTroll, the operator of the website, has had problems with mods and trolls for a decade, and last year knighted a guy named Alligator to super mod the site. He will IP ban you for misspelling a word..... that's an exaggeration, but you get the point. So I dont get banned with my sharp tongue, I just lurk there now.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.