UnderGround Forums

S&C UnderGround >> 170LBS TO 180 IN A YEAR - POSSIBLE AT 39?

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/7/13 8:31 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Dogmeat 1
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

genetics play a huge part in how your body responds to training but in general 10lbs in a year is not an unrealistic goal if someone trains and eats right. I am by no means an expert but I've trained around enough of them to see generally what works. The problem is most people don't do one or the other and then are too quick to claim it's impossible to do without using drugs, which shows a misunderstanding of both how bodybuilding and steroids work.

Keep in mind there is a world of difference in the training and diet of a regular guy using bodybuilding to get a bit bigger and that of a competitive panty wearing bodybuilding who may weigh in 250-300+lbs in the off-season. A regular guy doesn't have to stuff themselves to make gains or resort to drug but they do need to eat enough generate a calorie surplus while at the same time doing enough volume and work. Getting enough protein is important but 270g is way too much and it's no wonder your diet was causing you issues. For most trainees around 1.2g per KG of bodyweight is more than enough; even people trying to bulk are unlikely to need more than 1.6-1.8 per KG unless they are one of those before mentioned competitive bodybuilders. I've personally never really gone over 200g a day and 120-150g is more typical.

A more sustainable diet would be to look at what you are eating to stay lean and then add 500-1000 calories to that. If you avoid doing too much cardio and make sure you are doing enough volume/work with your lifts then you will likely make gains. You will put on fat which is why it is best to get lean before starting a bulk. A lot of people panic nowadays as soon as they see any flab and start dieting too early hence killing their overall gains. For a solid 10lbs with average genetics gain you are looking at at least a 20-25+lbs gain overall. If you are already lean then 10lbs of fat really isn't going to make you look too bad. Then once you feel you have made sufficient muscle gains you can diet it off.

Finally as latently gay and annoying bodybuilding sites tend to be, they are still a good online source for learning the ins and outs of gaining weight. It's always good to learn from people have successfully achieved the type of goals you are looking for and in your case that's more likely going to be on a bodybuilding site than an mma one.
1/12/13 12:20 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Leigh
1186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Willy the Coyote - I'm wondering the same thing, but am 28 and have never lifted for extended periods of time. Currently I weigh 165, but would love to bulk up to 175/180. Phone Post
This is more realistic. Still not easy Phone Post

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.