UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Petition To Ban "Underground News"

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/4/12 11:13 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sweepnchoke
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can we seriously get rid of this useless waste of space?
Stories are weak/inaccurate, and when they actually are accurate they're a day late and a dollar short with a half dozen threads already active with the same information days before hand.

Pretty much the most useless MMA news outlet around.

Either get on the ball or get lost.

Anyone else feel the same?
1/4/12 11:20 AM
bram
1582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have nothing better to do than read those stories and if they are mma related i don't really mind. If you're not interested in an article then don't click on it. Some are silly but who cares don't let it bother you.
1/4/12 11:27 AM
sparkuri
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Signed

No gnews is good gnews with Underground Gnews
1/4/12 11:34 AM
ausgepicht
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just don't click on his threads or place him on ignore. Simple.
1/4/12 11:36 AM
sparkuri
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Either that or put in some "actual work" in the world of martial arts. Some genuine stories from around the globe.
I don't mind if it's regurgitated, but if it's which ring card girl is posing for Playboy this month, or rumours "He said, He said", or all other garbage propaganda in ZuffaWorld, I'm sure Kevin Iole has got it covered.

It'd be nice to see some ACTUAL IQ-worthy news, like ADCC used to cover over A DECADE AGO.
Is this a money issue ??   LOL

No. No one cares if Jon Fitch says he's the best, or Brock's trainers give excuses of his demise.
I'd rather see who OMA kills every week.
1/4/12 12:04 PM
jtown2
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't have time to browse 12 different sites so I hope they keep ti just as it is.
1/4/12 12:16 PM
1ChromosomeTooMany
1795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Has anyone ever seen Chris and the UG News in the same place at once?
1/4/12 12:20 PM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ausgepicht - Just don't click on his threads or place him on ignore. Simple.
1/4/12 12:20 PM
bartatua
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

fully supported
1/4/12 12:23 PM
Jared Rogers
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I thought the petition to ban petitions already passed.
1/4/12 12:29 PM
JimmersonzGlove
697 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UG News is the leading source of MMA news on the web.

(awaits free blue name)
1/4/12 12:33 PM
MMAfan55
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No I like the UG news on here Phone Post
1/4/12 12:35 PM
Cyril Jeff
186 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

twitter = @theCyrildotcom
1ChromosomeTooMany -  Has anyone ever seen Chris and the UG News in the same place at once?

no, never...

1/4/12 1:08 PM
Kirik
2500 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
sweepnchoke - Can we seriously get rid of this useless waste of space?
Stories are weak/inaccurate, and when they actually are accurate they're a day late and a dollar short with a half dozen threads already active with the same information days before hand.

Pretty much the most useless MMA news outlet around.

Either get on the ball or get lost.

Anyone else feel the same?

Please keep the criticisms coming. That is a great way to get things improved. The more specific,the better.

For example this is not paricularly useful (or factually correct):
when they actually are accurate they're a day late and a dollar short with a half dozen threads already active with the same information days before hand.

This would be useful:
I checked the last 100/10/today/whatever and this piece _______
1. Has  a misleading title, or
2. These six (one would be fine) thread(s) already mentioned it, or
3. Was late it was already up on these major sites

Does that make sense to you?

1/4/12 1:10 PM
1ChromosomeTooMany
1795 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OP has been served.

I suggest a phone bank and radio ads. 

Think of the children.
1/4/12 1:12 PM
LayNprayNINJA

It is hard to cite specific examples of stealing "news" ideas, as I have seen numerous threads started by posters get deleted...only to see a "news" article on the exact same topic ten minutes later.

1/4/12 1:22 PM
Authority Figure

Eh, The News section is needed, in my mind, from a business perspective. News, whether new, old, directs visitors to the forum. The longer you're on the forum, the more ad revenue. It also gives actual customers of the store a place to go afterwards, which increases the likelihood of longer visits and repeat business.

I think what mixedmartialarts is longer overdue for is its own cadre of journalists, but again from a business perspective it would be mission drift, and increase expenses without an immediate return on investment (it would have minimal impact on ad revenue in the first year). If it did become profitable, it would eventually need to be incorporated as its own business to prevent the online store and its staff from suffering from distractions.

I politely propose that Kirik look into finding 4-8 volunteer journalists. Good writers that are looking to build their resumes and visibility in the MMA community.

These individuals would generate original content, including interviews with fighters (which could be facilitated in part through the forum), videos (especially of gyms across the world) etc. Any volunteer journalist who generated at least 30,000 views over 3 stories would be given a blue name for the upcoming year. To retain that blue name, they would need to continue to generate newsworthy, original content. The journalists would have no admin or mod status. They would simply be writers, interviewers, videographers, etc. And like moderators, they would need to restrain themselves on the forums - to almost "fly on the wall" like status. Anyone with the balls and self initiative to find a good writing subject or interviewee could try their hand.

Some members, old and new, will balk at this idea - because quite frankly, some of aren't readers. They will hang out in the forum as usual. Others will like being a part of a community that not only enjoys the most solid relationships with fighters and promoters, but also generates cool new content.

This strategy wouldn't cost anything in theory - just a few one-year renewable Blue Names. Good stories would attract visitors and increase ad revenue over time. If done the line it gets big, then you can decide how committed you are to generating news content.
1/4/12 1:26 PM
Samoanpowr
1081 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why do you keep clicking on them if they don't give you any new information and you think they are useless?  Seriously.
1/4/12 1:31 PM
Rookie Fighter

No bleacher report ever is all I ask Phone Post
1/4/12 1:41 PM
C4mac
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sparkuri -  Signed

No gnews is good gnews with Underground Gnews

This, signed like a mother and VTFU for the Gary Gnu reference!
1/4/12 1:49 PM
goku

UG news should instead use the members to be "UG news"..instead of reposting a link that someone else posted, just put their thread on the front page, assuming it doesnt have extra commentary with it and a decent headline
1/4/12 1:52 PM
Authority Figure

OaktownWhiteBoy - ^ FRAT!!!

;)

One of my best posts! Read it COTDAMNIT! lol
1/4/12 1:54 PM
C4mac
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

To Kirik's point my specific criticisms would be the UG news poaching threads from posters, which actually just happened last week most recently where a poster put up a thread then UG news put up the exact same thread and deleted the posters thread.  I have no problem with the UG news taking a story and running with it, but these are message boards for fans to discuss MMA news and opinions, doesn't really seem like the place for fans to get walked on like that.  Isn't there a section of mixedmartialarts.com that would be more appropriate for a news ticker?   Or possibly add a news ticker to the top of the forum?  Seems like UG news posts too often, which clutters up the board with sometimes not very useful articles like "Why constant injuries harm the sport of MMA" .  This is tantamount to explaining why not breathing is bad for living.  To sum up:  UG News poaches threads from posters (deleting legit threads from posters to  post the UG News thread), posts entirely too frequently (cluttering the main page and pushing quality threads into obscurity), posts occasionally inane topics (irrelevant, unimportant, opinion). 

Love the idea of UG News, don't love it in practice.
1/4/12 2:24 PM
BJJkilla
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

bleacher report writers will be devastated if the UG news stops posting there useless articles.
1/4/12 2:28 PM
Kirik
2500 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Underground, Mayor for Life
C4mac -  To Kirik's point my specific criticisms would be the UG news poaching threads from posters, which actually just happened last week most recently where a poster put up a thread then UG news put up the exact same thread and deleted the posters thread.  I have no problem with the UG news taking a story and running with it, but these are message boards for fans to discuss MMA news and opinions, doesn't really seem like the place for fans to get walked on like that.  Isn't there a section of mixedmartialarts.com that would be more appropriate for a news ticker?   Or possibly add a news ticker to the top of the forum?  Seems like UG news posts too often, which clutters up the board with sometimes not very useful articles like "Why constant injuries harm the sport of MMA" .  This is tantamount to explaining why not breathing is bad for living.  To sum up:  UG News poaches threads from posters (deleting legit threads from posters to  post the UG News thread), posts entirely too frequently (cluttering the main page and pushing quality threads into obscurity), posts occasionally inane topics (irrelevant, unimportant, opinion). 

Love the idea of UG News, don't love it in practice.

I don't want to sound mean, but no one is deleting posts about a subject, and then putting it up. Half the pieces in news are tied to an already exisiting story. In fact, the very first thing we do after finding a compelling piece is search for it in UG. 

If later an earlier thread is found, then the piece is taken down, and attached to that existing piece, which is time consuming, so the effort is made to look first.

To sum up:  UG News never poaches threads from posters (deleting legit threads from posters to  post the UG News thread)

As to whether the posts are entirely too frequently (cluttering the main page and pushing quality threads into obscurity), posts occasionally inane topics (irrelevant, unimportant, opinion) that is a subjective discussion.  We put up 14 stories every week day. Some days the news is slow, and inane things get added. I don't think that defines the news though.

Truly grateful for the feedback man.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.