UnderGround Forums

Boxing UnderGround >> Why do I keep dropping my hands in sparring?

1/4/12 2:01 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jeff_H
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/04/12 2:04 PM

I did a couple rounds of sparring yesterday at the gym and it pisses me off to see how much I drop my hands. I'm wearing the white shorts in the vids.

I have been taking private boxing lessons for the past 3 months and have done a variety of martial arts training for years prior to that.

When I work on the focus mitts or heavy bag, I constantly remind myself to keep my hands up and to touch my non-punching glove to my cheek. But for some reason when I spar it just goes out the window and it's extremely frustrating.

I blame part of it on my several years of TMA training and the need to get rid of bad habits. But what else do I need to do to stop dropping my hands and throwing sloppy strikes? Is it just a matter of needing more training and needing to constantly think to keep my hands up? Or are there other things I can do to help in that area?

And how do I embed video in a thread?

Round 1

Round 2
1/4/12 4:18 PM
PoundforPound
160 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something you can try is tying a chord around your hands and hanging them on your neck. Shadow box like that, throwing punches with a tiny range of motion but otherwise keeping a good stance and using proper footwork to move around.

This should get your arm and shoulder muscles used to staying in the correct position.

(To embed, click Share then click Embed. Put a check mark under Use Old Embed Code.

Then just copy and paste the link here.)
1/4/12 5:03 PM
Jeff_H
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PoundforPound - 
Something you can try is tying a chord around your hands and hanging them on your neck. Shadow box like that, throwing punches with a tiny range of motion but otherwise keeping a good stance and using proper footwork to move around.

This should get your arm and shoulder muscles used to staying in the correct position.

(To embed, click Share then click Embed. Put a check mark under Use Old Embed Code.

Then just copy and paste the link here.)

I missed the "Use Old Embed Code" portion and when I tried embedding the default code I got nothing. I will use that option going forward. Thanks for the suggestion with the cord; I will give that a shot.
1/6/12 2:21 PM
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Keeping your hands up high and in the correct position when punching and moving takes continuous practice and discipline.

This is a time when you need to isolate this one part of your style and constantly work on it.

Try doing vry light sparring with your partner throwing punches at you and all you do are focusing on doing for the entire time is keeping your hands high and defending.

1/6/12 5:27 PM
Jeff_H

Joe Ray - Keeping your hands up high and in the correct position when punching and moving takes continuous practice and discipline.

This is a time when you need to isolate this one part of your style and constantly work on it.

Try doing vry light sparring with your partner throwing punches at you and all you do are focusing on doing for the entire time is keeping your hands high and defending.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I definitely plan to work on it as well as bring it up with my boxing coach so he can help when I'm there.
1/6/12 5:41 PM
e. kaye

1-Your hands are not up high enough to begin with.

2-You are dropping your hands to load/pump for the punch.

3-You are puunching but not with snap and retract.  So you are leaving you arm out there and dropping it to retract it.

4-It is an  issue of mechancs.  You cannot throw directly from where your hands are, so you drop them to be able to throw.

5-As you tire, the drop just gets worse.  It is a cumulative effect.
1/7/12 10:27 PM
martinburke
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You spend too much time on your front foot, and too much time squared up. Keep your weight distributed so that your weight is over your back foot. That means you're leaning over slightly to your right. Your front shoulder should be pointing at your opponent. Let the backs of your arms rest on your ribs, and drop your back shoulder down until your left shoulder is higher than your right. Drop your chin right down next to the right glove and keep it down.

Your arms get to rest while they form a defensive shell; and it encourages you to use weight transfer and shoulder whirl instead of just arm punching like you're doing now.

Drop your chin and keep it down. Point your front shoulder toward your opponent. This bears repeating.

Put a little more flex into your knees.. You're a little shorter than him, so you should accentuate it and make yourself a harder target. Get lower than him, and it'll bring the lower body into the equation on your punches, and take his lower body out of it.

When you jab, time it so that it lands when the front foot lands. Every time your left foot lands...POP!

When you throw that right hand, you start with your front shoulder pointing toward your opponent. Then turn out your right heel, turn in your right knee, and whirl your shoulders so that that right shoulder ends up pointing at the target. Don't just think about rotating that right shoulder forward; get used to feeling that left shoulder pulling back and around to the right. It'll keep you from reaching with the punch and help you to pull it back to guard faster.

If you get accustomed to using the torso to power your punches, they'll be harder, shorter, and FAR less tiring.
1/7/12 10:50 PM
martinburke
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Forgot to mention: don't try to punch through your opponent's head with the jab. Use it to establish range and disrupt his rhythm.

You don't need to hurt him with it. Use it to get the range on your other punches. You're jamming your own punching room up all by yourself in many cases, and you seem to be reacting to his rhythm instead of imposing yours on him.
1/7/12 11:47 PM
Jeff_H

thanks e. kaye and martinburke. a lot of great feedback there and tons for me to work on. your point about not trying to punch through him with my jab is a good one. i trained in jkd for a few years and they emphasized power jabs. i've been trying to lighten them up and just snap them out but will definitely continue to do so.

i'm taking boxing lessons once a week right now but am going to talk to my coach about changing it to twice a week. i've also talked to this sparring partner about sparring at least a couple rounds every week so we can both get more practice. i just need to make sure i work on these corrective techniques instead of continuing to make mistakes that cost me.

thanks again.
1/7/12 11:54 PM
Gentorz

Hey mate! Doesn't look too bad really. Try sparring without the helms. My old boxing coach said that you get careless when sparring with helms, and also I believe the main factor as to why you aren't keeping your hands up high enough is because you haven't been hit with something really solid yet. Sometimes you have to learn it the hard way, unfortunately that is. Try leaning more forward also, you are getting tagged a lot due to leaning either too much backwards, or staying very upright. Everything comes with time though. My father used to tell me to hold my ears while shadowboxing so that I'd learn to put 'em up there when I was younger :)

Good luck, and keep on training!
1/8/12 8:37 PM
SawyerKOKoff
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We do this drill in my gym. It's ahelped a lot and we're all solid strikers.

With boxing gloves and no headgear (REMEMBER!! This is a LIGHT drill)

With your partner, you both get 3 punches apiece. The person who starts the drill throws his combo. After the first person throws 2 punches, the opposing person can counter. After you both throw your 3 punches, switch who starts the drill. You can do this for a VERY long time without stopping. REALLY good drill for placing your combos and countering and not leaving yourself open. Should help your hand placement and maybe you won't drop your hands so much after doing this A LOT. Hope I helped.

Sawyer "THE BOMB" Rich
1/9/12 11:07 AM
Jeff_H

Thanks Gentorz and SawyerKOKoff. Good suggestions and feedback.
1/10/12 5:23 PM
Nasz

Nice video.
I see what you mean.
Try to do first some combinations infront of a mirror, then do shadowboxing infront of a mirror. But dont do it full speed. Just rehearse your punches, movement, defence, steps in normal tempo. You will see after doing this awhile you will keep your head up while punching.

This is a video of warming up hitting the heavy bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVxjN9SC9g0&feature=channel_video_title
1/10/12 10:59 PM
Jeff_H

SawyerKOKoff - We do this drill in my gym. It's ahelped a lot and we're all solid strikers.

With your partner, you both get 3 punches apiece. The person who starts the drill throws his combo. After the first person throws 2 punches, the opposing person can counter. After you both throw your 3 punches, switch who starts the drill. You can do this for a VERY long time without stopping. REALLY good drill for placing your combos and countering and not leaving yourself open. Should help your hand placement and maybe you won't drop your hands so much after doing this A LOT. Hope I helped.

Sawyer "THE BOMB" Rich

I tried this drill with 3 different sparring partners last night and tonight and liked it a lot. There are a lot of facets that can be worked on with this drill. I focused on keeping my hands up, leaning more on my front leg instead of back, keeping my chin down and knees bent so I'm not too upright. In addition, I found that this drill helped to work on angles and circling both in offensive and defensive mode and placing combos as you said.

This drill is now part of my regimen and I will continue working on it. Thanks again.
1/11/12 4:01 PM
Cash coww

Cz ur too cocky..lol Phone Post
1/11/12 10:40 PM
fearOfABlackPlanet

you remind me of a karate guy.I also don't know if I could tolerate that music. You should have learned the fundamentals to a much greater degree before you were allowed to spar. You would get hurt in some gyms.
1/12/12 9:14 PM
Jeff_H

Cash coww - Cz ur too cocky..lol Phone Post

Yeah, that might be the reason if my name was Anderson Silva. lol
1/15/12 3:20 PM
SawyerKOKoff
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jeff_H - 
SawyerKOKoff - We do this drill in my gym. It's ahelped a lot and we're all solid strikers.

Sawyer "THE BOMB" Rich

I tried this drill with 3 different sparring partners last night and tonight and liked it a lot. There are a lot of facets that can be worked on with this drill. I focused on keeping my hands up, leaning more on my front leg instead of back, keeping my chin down and knees bent so I'm not too upright. In addition, I found that this drill helped to work on angles and circling both in offensive and defensive mode and placing combos as you said.

This drill is now part of my regimen and I will continue working on it. Thanks again.

It's helped so much. I realize this is a boxing topic, but for MMA this dril does wonders. If you're doing MMA get your shin guards on and throw a kick in there, but it does work well for boxing. Glad I helped and good luck scrapping! :)
1/15/12 10:33 PM
AlbinoB1akSheep

Throw more straight punches, use them like a piston. Straight out, straight back. Just remember the power is at the end of your punch. Shoulder back and pivot more.
1/15/12 10:39 PM
Jeff_H

AlbinoB1akSheep - Throw more straight punches, use them like a piston. Straight out, straight back. Just remember the power is at the end of your punch. Shoulder back and pivot more.

Thanks. I will definitely work on more straight punches. The hooking punches, especially the sloppy ones, come from too many years of TMA. :(
1/16/12 7:36 AM
DaveFu
1621 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The most basic advice I can give to keep your hands up is have your thumbs constantly graze against the exposed parts of your jaw when you pull back into your stance. The only time you shouldn't do this is while punching, where your other hand should be static 

This has a number of advantages:

1. It gives you peace of mind in knowing your jaw is protected.

2. It keeps you from dropping your hands and is a "home base" for your hands where they can help you defend and hit easier because they're at the ideal level instead of down below your shoulders and chest, where you would have to raise them up and then fire them out. 

3. It keeps your hands active and loose instead of static and tight, which will increase your speed and prevents telegraphing your punches. 

4. Once you can do this subconciously, you'll notice that you can devote more focus on head movement distance, countering etc. 
1/16/12 9:10 PM
leftlegtrumpcard
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my coaches made me put on a head band. I had to keep my hands on it if they weren't punching. Out and back, shadow boxing over and over and over. But it worked. Having to concentrate on the head band helped make it a habit. Phone Post
1/18/12 8:51 PM
pharochuck
271 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

martinburke - You spend too much time on your front foot, and too much time squared up. Keep your weight distributed so that your weight is over your back foot. That means you're leaning over slightly to your right. Your front shoulder should be pointing at your opponent. Let the backs of your arms rest on your ribs, and drop your back shoulder down until your left shoulder is higher than your right. Drop your chin right down next to the right glove and keep it down.

Your arms get to rest while they form a defensive shell; and it encourages you to use weight transfer and shoulder whirl instead of just arm punching like you're doing now.

Drop your chin and keep it down. Point your front shoulder toward your opponent. This bears repeating.

Put a little more flex into your knees.. You're a little shorter than him, so you should accentuate it and make yourself a harder target. Get lower than him, and it'll bring the lower body into the equation on your punches, and take his lower body out of it.

When you jab, time it so that it lands when the front foot lands. Every time your left foot lands...POP!

When you throw that right hand, you start with your front shoulder pointing toward your opponent. Then turn out your right heel, turn in your right knee, and whirl your shoulders so that that right shoulder ends up pointing at the target. Don't just think about rotating that right shoulder forward; get used to feeling that left shoulder pulling back and around to the right. It'll keep you from reaching with the punch and help you to pull it back to guard faster.

If you get accustomed to using the torso to power your punches, they'll be harder, shorter, and FAR less tiring.
great insight

1/27/12 7:15 PM
LFTHK1

The more you spar, the more you will stay relaxed. Eventually it will become automatic if you have the proper fundamentals.
1/29/12 12:03 AM
fearOfABlackPlanet

cause you suck at boxing

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.