UnderGround Forums

JKD UnderGround >> Can anyone suggest a good Wing Chun school in L.A.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

1/5/12 6:46 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PTM2020
1835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/05/12 6:46 AM

Cousin of mine who is obsessed with Wing Chun asked me if I knew any 'pure' WC schools.   He moved to the San Fernando Valley  from the east coast and tells me he wants to train again.

First I told him to try JKD out and reffered him to Cass Magda's school down the street from him but he says  "Naw, I just wanna do straight Wing Chun".

Anyone know a legit teacher near Reseda, Ca??

1/9/12 7:27 PM
shen
1426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/11/12 2:40 PM

Not super close, but Gary Lam in Monterey Park is very highly regarded (by nerds who do Wing Chun that is, --I kid). He teaches in his backyard, all day long pretty much. It's very cool.

1/10/12 5:28 PM
Nasz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A time of waste.
Wing Chun is proofed to be fake and will get you knocked out.

Open your eyes and do some hybrid training.
Boxing, Muay Thai, Groundgame

But maybe you liked rehearsed paksao lapsao movement like doing some kind of dance...well then..you go for it.
1/10/12 8:14 PM
PTM2020
1835 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nasz - A time of waste.
Wing Chun is proofed to be fake and will get you knocked out.

Open your eyes and do some hybrid training.
Boxing, Muay Thai, Groundgame

But maybe you liked rehearsed paksao lapsao movement like doing some kind of dance...well then..you go for it.

check your reading comprehension champ.
1/11/12 12:15 AM
lawrenceofidaho
1391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.wingchuncoach.com/
1/11/12 12:29 PM
Nasz

Wing Chun doesnt work.

Its fantasy..
1/11/12 2:43 PM
shen
1426 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FWIW, Ernie Barrios in the video "lawrenceofidaho" posted, is a student of Gary Lam, who I had mentioned.

1/11/12 2:45 PM
shen

Nasz - Wing Chun doesnt work.

Its fantasy..

True.

My Ninjutsu Sensei (Rod McGluster) was just saying that in class the other night.

1/11/12 7:59 PM
lawrenceofidaho
1391 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary Lam and all of his guys (Ernie Barrios, et al.) train a flavor of Wing Chun influenced by full contact:

Sifu Lam not only mastered the style of Wing Chun taught by Sigung Wong, but also learned Muay Thai boxing in Thailand from several champion fighters. At Sifu Lam’s school in Hong Kong he offered instruction in Wing Chun and Muay Thai side by side. His students at that time were among the highest ranked competitors in Hong Kong. Sifu Lam’s school quickly gained fame and was known all over the world for producing top notch Wing Chun and Muay Thai fighters.

1/12/12 5:50 PM
markijkd

Paul,

Gary Lam opened a new school in the San Gabriel Valley... Ask Paul Young about it, he is a Senior there!

Mark
1/12/12 6:25 PM
PTM2020

Thanks Guro!

I almost have my cousin convinced about going to Dan's but I think we'll pass by Paul's school in San Gabriel.   Gary Lams style looks like the way to go!
1/13/12 8:03 PM
Nasz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xF-HESvG2w

Is this gary lams.

How long does he train chi sao. You see that he fails agains an western amateur boy and the boy really dont wanna hit him. If this kid was a pro fighter. Well you can train all you want in WC. It will get your head knocked off.
1/13/12 8:07 PM
PTM2020

^ please stop trolling.
2/16/12 1:47 PM
gundoguy

Hey PTM! I know it's a drive, but Sifu Eric(Oram)in West L.A....haven't been there in awhile(08),but he is a solid Wing Chun guy and I know he's still in the same location(Purdue Ave.). Good guy, still very quick, very good WC guy.
2/20/12 2:16 AM
edg176
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hawkins Cheung is in LA. He's good.
2/20/12 1:01 PM
lawrenceofidaho

edg176 - Hawkins Cheung is in LA. He's good.

Hawkins hangs out at Gary Lam's and trains with Gary's guys quite a bit (at least he was a couple years back.)
5/11/12 2:20 PM
Iron Man
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gary Lam's school is on Main Street in Alhambra just east of Fremont Ave.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.