UnderGround Forums

UnderGround Forums >> Do you people know what a split decision is?

1/5/12 4:23 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
PrettyCoolGuy
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree, but it does kinda make sense only when coming from the participating fighters point of view. "I can't believe not even 1 judge gave it to me" when losing a close fight, stuff like that.

But if judging was perfect then split decisions wouldn't exist.
1/5/12 4:24 PM
victorpoprock
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMApurist - I agree for the most part, but when I am watching a fight with 3 people and it is really really close, I don't expect everyone to see it exactly the same way. People look at and favor different things making it way more subjective than say boxing. When they say their own score it should be as you said but when predicting 3 peoples different scores, I think you can say it could be split.

this doesn't even make sense.

If all three judges score it for one fighter, then its a unanimous decision. It doesn't matter what they scored each round.

It's pretty clear why op made this thread now with all the stupid responses in this thread.
1/5/12 4:24 PM
Samoanpowr
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judge 1: 30-30
Judge 2: 30-27  Fighter A
Judge 3: 30-27  Fighter A

What would  this would be besides "Ah fuck, Cecil's fucking up again."?

Majority Decision?
1/5/12 4:25 PM
victorpoprock
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samoanpowr - Judge 1: 30-30
Judge 2: 30-27  Fighter A
Judge 3: 30-27  Fighter A

What would  this would be besides "Ah fuck, Cecil's fucking up again."?

Majority Decision?

yes, that would be a majority decision
1/5/12 4:31 PM
Samoanpowr
209 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

30-30
30-30
30-30

Unanimous Draw?  Or just "Draw"?
1/5/12 4:33 PM
MMApurist
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Of course if all 3 judges score it for one fighter it is unanimous. But in the case of 3 close rounds sometimes you get

Judge 1: 29-28
Judge 2: 28-29
Judge 3: 29-28

For example the recent fight with Ebersole vs Patrick in Canada. I don't expect everyone to score it the same way. I was in a room with 3 people and we had it 2 to 1 for Ebersole hence a split decision.
1/5/12 4:35 PM
Samoanpowr

30-30
30-29  Fighter A
30-29  Fighter B

Split Draw?  Or just Draw? 
1/5/12 4:36 PM
victorpoprock

MMApurist - Of course if all 3 judges score it for one fighter it is unanimous. But in the case of 3 close rounds sometimes you get

Judge 1: 29-28
Judge 2: 28-29
Judge 3: 29-28

For example the recent fight with Ebersole vs Patrick in Canada. I don't expect everyone to score it the same way. I was in a room with 3 people and we had it 2 to 1 for Ebersole hence a split decision.

no shit.

If one judge scores it for another fighter than the other two judges score it for, then it's a split decision. Nobody is arguing any different. I think you missed the point of this thread.
1/5/12 4:41 PM
mrzipplokk
380 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who are you calling 'you people' ? lol
1/5/12 4:42 PM
lifeaftrprison
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WestsideStrangler -  Everyone.  I always hear guys saying that it should have been a split and not unanamous and that doesnt make sense.
This Phone Post
1/5/12 4:56 PM
BigBlueNinja
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have even heard MMA Coaches at live shows say "How could they give him a Unanimous Decision" lol
1/5/12 4:59 PM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I hear this shit all the time as well..

"Bro...I'll give it to you that he won that fight, but come on, a unanimous decision? Should have won, but it should have been a split decision!"
1/5/12 5:02 PM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

posted my response before reading through the thread..

MY GOD! This UG is filled with exactly the people OP was trying to educate.
1/5/12 5:16 PM
Stranglehold26

lol
1/5/12 5:30 PM
ufc98newb
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Saying it could be a split decision and saying it should be a split decision are two different things..that is for the guy talking about the reality of three people having three different opinions.

Saying a fight should be a split decision is clearly retarded. On the other hand, I think it is perfectly reasonable to predict a split decision before the scorecards are read, as it is a pretty decent bet that a close that is perceived to be close will be scored differently by three judges. I only bring this up because I have seen many posters get flamed for predicting a split decision, which seems pretty legit to me when two fighters are evenly matched, with neither having a penchant for finishing.........
1/5/12 5:39 PM
MMApurist
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's exactly what I meant. Some people just don't get it.
1/5/12 5:41 PM
mestregruber
109 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

On the contrary, there are people arguing that a fight should have been a split decision after virtually every major event. It's maddening. The only way this makes any sense at all is to say "I can't believe not even one of the judges thought the other guy won," but hoping for split decisions means hoping for uneven, subjective judging.
1/5/12 6:11 PM
Kostakio
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

WestsideStrangler -
KampHitMyMannHole -  Now make a thread on how to do some fucking kimuras damnit Phone Post

I did but I put it on DVD instead and they sell it at BudoVideos.com
Great DVD!! Phone Post
1/5/12 6:11 PM
Kostakio
434 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unwariestpickle -
Samoanpowr - 30-30
30-29  Fighter A
30-29  Fighter B

Split Draw.

Draw I thought. Phone Post
1/5/12 6:16 PM
Eric Bloodaxe
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Never got people predicting split decisions for future fights. I get that they expect a close fight, but predicting that one judge will see it different than the others is becoming more of a random guess.
1/5/12 6:21 PM
Bailx
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's not as crazy as it sounds... i mean on a close round judges can go either way...

i've only predicted a few split decisions, typically you just go the easy route and say (unanimous) decision.

if you think a fight is going to be really, really close though you might predict a split or draw.

i don't know... never really even thought about it much until just now.
1/5/12 6:28 PM
random_muppett
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MMApurist - I agree for the most part, but when I am watching a fight with 3 people and it is really really close, I don't expect everyone to see it exactly the same way. People look at and favor different things making it way more subjective than say boxing. When they say their own score it should be as you said but when predicting 3 peoples different scores, I think you can say it could be split.
There's a difference between saying 'it was a close fight , I can see how it could be a split decision....or a win for either guy' and saying 'it SHOULD have been a split decision'...the latter makes no sense.

You're basically saying that you think either guy could've won, or it could've been a draw. Which is fine. But just say that. Phone Post
1/5/12 6:30 PM
random_muppett
100 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ufc98newb - Saying it could be a split decision and saying it should be a split decision are two different things..that is for the guy talking about the reality of three people having three different opinions.

Saying a fight should be a split decision is clearly retarded. On the other hand, I think it is perfectly reasonable to predict a split decision before the scorecards are read, as it is a pretty decent bet that a close that is perceived to be close will be scored differently by three judges. I only bring this up because I have seen many posters get flamed for predicting a split decision, which seems pretty legit to me when two fighters are evenly matched, with neither having a penchant for finishing.........
Fuck....^^^^^ this is what I meant.

Hadn't read your post before posting, sorry. Phone Post
1/5/12 6:31 PM
10er4life
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Samoanpowr - 30-30
30-29  Fighter A
30-29  Fighter B

Were these guys staring at each other?

There are at least 6 10-10 rounds in that score Lol Phone Post
1/5/12 7:02 PM
10er4life
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

6 10-10 scores in that fight* Phone Post

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.