UnderGround Forums

Judo/Sambo UnderGround >> World class grappling judo vs BJJ no gi

1/5/12 6:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Found this post on the Underground Forum and thought the members would enjoy it. Tiago Camilo (judo) vs Demain Maia(BJJ)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyYLBGErC2I

If someone could post this here so it would play it would be greatly appreciated.
1/6/12 4:06 PM
SuperMannyFraker
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the post. Very interesting video.
1/6/12 5:42 PM
Jumbo Reverse Shrimp
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/06/12 5:43 PM
My mistake...
1/7/12 11:27 AM
traneufcisback
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1/7/12 11:32 AM
traneufcisback

I would preferred to see them have done some ne waza with the gi on, I think that would have been more interesting. It is clear the Judo guy is very familiar with BJJ and has trained with some good guys. IT is great to see BJJ and Judo sharing training nowadays.
1/7/12 2:33 PM
judoblackbelt
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

traneufc, thanks for posting the video, appreciate it. The judo guy is Olympic level competitor. Took Bronze in 81K at the 2008 Olympics. The video shows Olympic judo guys are fairly skilled on the ground against world clss BJJ players even though their primary strength is standup. With a gi the BJJ guy would have no chance standup. And there is nothing to prove for a world class judo guy throwing a a world class BJJ guy. What makes judo guys so tough is the World Class competitions you compete in to get points to be ranked in the top 22 in your weight brkt to qualify for the Olympics. Grueling journey for any Olympian qualifier. Can you imagine fighting maybe 10 world class events every year against the best players from around the world?
1/9/12 9:51 AM
panic686
80 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The thread on the UG about this got ridiculous. Love the vid but it shows clearly in my mind that neither guy was going especially hard. They have a great training session and it looks awesome to do.
1/11/12 8:21 AM
judoblackbelt

This training video should help cast a more positive light of judo guys on the ground but many give their most biased view as you mentioned on the UG Forum.
4/2/12 5:00 PM
ChanceDuBois

Edited: 04/02/12 5:33 PM
edit
4/2/12 5:19 PM
raleigh

bahh - judo sucks.

-ATAMA FORUM
4/2/12 5:54 PM
ChanceDuBois

This guy actually pretty much smashed Maia. Nice performance
4/3/12 6:17 AM
judoblackbelt

The bjjers would like to live in their "BJJ world" so to speak and revel in how superior their grappling is to judo. In some ways it is. They just can't admit how good judo really is at the world class level. And they know their top guys would not be competitive in judo. At least no one has tried to. They can't stand the fact Ronda Rousey is submitting everyone with arm bars from her judo background. Now they want to credit her performance to her BJJ training.
4/3/12 2:21 PM
PoWdA101
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just watched this video on the Atama forum. Very surprised to see Maia getting handled like that. Another poster said he saw an interview with Maia where he was saying that he was exhausted as the training for the day consisted of sending fresh guys in after him while he had no breaks but not sure if it is true or not. I will say that I respect Judokas ground game very much. Obviously the highest level BJJ guy is going to have a better ground game than the highest level Judoka but anyone who thinks a Judo black belt can't hold their own on the ground is beyond retarded.
4/3/12 8:37 PM
Horus2001
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

judoblackbelt - The bjjers would like to live in their "BJJ world" so to speak and revel in how superior their grappling is to judo. In some ways it is. They just can't admit how good judo really is at the world class level. And they know their top guys would not be competitive in judo. At least no one has tried to. They can't stand the fact Ronda Rousey is submitting everyone with arm bars from her judo background. Now they want to credit her performance to her BJJ training.

you do realize in brazil, they live side by side. Anderson Leal was a brown belt in bjj. he was a judo player and not a bjj player. Anderson received his black belt in 2003 from Brazilian Top Team (BTT) founder and UFC champion Murilo Bustamante after winning the Mundials. Anderson is also a world-class judoka and former member of the Brazilian National Team.

when i trained with him, he blended the two together and did not show a bias towards either, his stand up and ground is amazing.

when i was in brazil, there was no trash talking judo. why would they? judo is the stand up they use. they really don't have a wresting tradition to draw upon. it is not like america either, they don't feel the need to put it down in order to talk up judo.

I think the gracies poisoned the water with the video tapes from long ago. that along with a few judokas who entered the ufc and other cage events that weren't really prepared.
if you switched out the judo players from back then with the average sport bjj player, you would have the same outcome.

rorion had a vested interest in showing judo in a bad light and ever since then, it has created conflict in the US.
4/3/12 8:57 PM
JoshuaResnick
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i hate stupid threads like this. people always saying there is a this vs that. there isnt. they just train. who gives a damn. is it really that odd to think that two really good athletes would train together?
4/3/12 10:34 PM
Horus2001
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

JoshuaResnick - i hate stupid threads like this. people always saying there is a this vs that. there isnt. they just train. who gives a damn. is it really that odd to think that two really good athletes would train together?

this is my point, in brazil, it is not a big deal. it seems in the US does this sort of myopic categorizing of training occur. the only thing this serves to do is prevent people from training together as people will make noise about who beat whom...
4/4/12 11:54 AM
judoblackbelt

Horus2001- I saw Anderson Leal at the 2010 judo nationals when he finished 2nd in the Open division and lost to Tokuzo Takahashi (JPN)/Tenri judo club CA.in the Open division. He said he was 36 yrs old. Had a chance to chat with him since I never saw hiom before. Excellent judo. You could tell he was experienced. My first thoughts were he is from BJJ background but his standup was upper level player. Didn't know his BJJ background. I understand what you are saying but try and explain it to those on the BJJ forum with their biased views.
4/4/12 2:11 PM
Spartan79

I think so many people have brought in to the BJJ bubble and payed though the nose for it! Then they have to believe their art is the be all and end all they have been spoon fead it for years. Tell em they now need a takedown art too. Lol and one that's three or four times cheaper and has ground work lol lol no wonder they are pissed! Cross training in these two arts can only make the individual a better grappler. Phone Post
4/4/12 7:04 PM
Horus2001

judoblackbelt - Horus2001- I saw Anderson Leal at the 2010 judo nationals when he finished 2nd in the Open division and lost to Tokuzo Takahashi (JPN)/Tenri judo club CA.in the Open division. He said he was 36 yrs old. Had a chance to chat with him since I never saw hiom before. Excellent judo. You could tell he was experienced. My first thoughts were he is from BJJ background but his standup was upper level player. Didn't know his BJJ background. I understand what you are saying but try and explain it to those on the BJJ forum with their biased views.

standard disclaimer, i am a bjj black belt. i have tried to enlighten my brethren who fail to see judo for what is has to offer.

my biggest gripe is pretty much anyone who drank the gracie kool aid is not able to see beyond the hype. i have trained with really good judo players and in brazil with bjj players so i have been able to experience it first hand.

if i am asked, i have no problem telling people that bjj stands for basically just judo...

4/4/12 7:07 PM
Horus2001

thinking about it... maybe it is just as well to let the bjj guys think they way they do. only through experience does one grow, when they get tossed a few times and armbarred before they hit the ground, an epiphany will result...
4/4/12 8:24 PM
judoblackbelt

One thing about world class judo players is they travel to other countries in general to train, not just complete. And Brazil is one of the countries they go to. Hope you continue to be a contributor on this forum.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.