UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> My first experience with poutine.

1/5/12 10:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
iluvmma
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We all know poutine is the crown jewel of awesomeness up in Canada. Well, maybe second next to Wolverine.

It certainly SOUNDED good on paper, and i was eager to try it, but...

It didn't go well. First off, are the cheese curds supposed to be melted or solid? The gravy just felt heavy and didn't taste good. I managed to eat about half of what i was given and i threw the rest in the garbage.

I am willing to give it another try, though. Can you poutine connoisseurs educate me on how poutine should end up like in the end when it's made properly? What cheese should be used, and what is used to make the gravy?
1/7/12 2:32 PM
jaydub
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, I agree, I had a similar experience.....I like fries a lot but the shit I had sucked balls.
1/19/12 10:57 AM
Bat21
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good Poutine is hard to find outside of Quebec.

Yes, the cheese-curds should be melted by a combination of the heat from the fries and the heat from the gravy. If either or both are not hot enough, its not going to be as good of an experience as it should.
1/21/12 4:31 PM
iluvmma
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think if the gravy is on the light side and the fries aren't thick-cut, this thing would be incredible.
1/29/12 8:30 PM
cdmontgo
103 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, the cheese is supposed to be melted. Use turkey gravy.
4/17/12 4:02 PM
defianceu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Quebecer over here!

The cheese is NOT supposed to be melted, it should still have some bite (straight from the fridge). The gravy (some places use BBQ Sauce) shouldn't be too thick.

You can use McD's fries if lazy

Homemade Poutine is the Bomb though!!

good luck :)
10/6/12 3:05 AM
homieCNTRL
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what about the addition of a fried egg? i saw poutine on the menu of this bbq place and i guess they top it off with an egg. sounded interesting but is that "traditional"?
10/10/12 11:09 PM
KlingKiteMayor
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

defianceu - Quebecer over here!

The cheese is NOT supposed to be melted, it should still have some bite (straight from the fridge). The gravy (some places use BBQ Sauce) shouldn't be too thick.

You can use McD's fries if lazy

Homemade Poutine is the Bomb though!!

good luck :)

disagree about the mcds fries and bbq sauce. But the curds should still hold their shape and taste, so I agree with that.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.